Clutch failure with Single Mass Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch failure with Single Mass Flywheel

We had a failure of the pressure plate last week while racing (45km into the 3rd stage on the first day of a 5 day tarmac rally) . We had to take the default penalty times for the next 5 stages which ruined our chances for the event overall but at least we were able to rejoin the following morning.

Just wondering if there had been any other noted failures out there?

Details: we run a single masss flywheel with no harmonic balancer, standard friction plate with a 964RS pressure plate and close ratio gearset. A new friction plate and pressure plate were fitted in July this year.

Failure was at speed - we'd just hooked 5th when the splined bush sheared out of the friction plate. I haven't had a good close look at the damage yet but the service crew commented there was signs of fatigue cracking arount the hole.

Any input appreciated.

G
Old 11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
future
Banned

Sorry to hear about this George

I can only recommend our Clutch Disc which is rated to 800bhp and 800Nm's without slipping!

We have extensively tested this product which only weights 970 grams compared to the 2,200 grams unit you are running helping rev response and engine pickup way before additionally lightening or swapping out the fly wheel for a lighter unit.

If you're interested in further details have a look HERE or I can get Beni to give you the full specs etc.

There are many European drivers running this very successfully on both Track and road.

Best of luck,
Mark
Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cheers Mark, the current set up has proved to be more that capable on a 3.8 964RS over several seasons of racing and ran happily for 3yrs of competition in the 968 prior to putting the SMF in, so it was more of a question around durability with the SMF.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM
future
Banned

Have you checked the clutch fork's 2 prongs aren't bent (well at least 1 of them which is a more common case?) - A problem with 944's and I've seen it on a couple of 968's before you look at the SMF as the problem?

I don't think there are many people on here running SMF on a 968 but I might be wrong

What have you currently removed to look at?

Could be a centrifugally mounted issue also but I might be barking right up the wrong tree!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What kind of smf are you running?
Raj
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 PM
GeorgeNZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

No obvious signs of the fork being bent but not sure how this would contribute to failure?

RSBarn SMF
Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem I encountered with a lightened (Fidanza) flywheel was the clutch failure at the center of the Sachs clutch disk. There is no spring loaded disk that I could find for the 968. After breaking 3 disks, we re-enforced the disk center with a weld on both sides which apparently solved the problem (at least the clutch lasted a full season).

Running the Porsche Motorsport single mass flywheel this season without experiencing clutch problems (still using the welded Sachs disk though).

Richard

P.S.: Would like to see how Beni's clutch works with my PMS single mass fw.

Quick Reply: Clutch failure with Single Mass Flywheel