Symptoms of a failing Clutch or DMF

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Mr Pump
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of a failing Clutch or DMF

Need assistance.

My 93 coupe is hard to engage smoothly from a dead stop. It will chatter and if not pedeled just perfect, will stall. It almost feels like there is a pause before engagement occurs. There is no problem shifting on the fly and no slipping of the clutch.....lots of power and hooks up well.

What are the specific symptoms of a failing clutch or DMF (or associated hardware for that matter).

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mr P, if your engagement point is somewhat abrupt, you could have a worn fork, worn needle etc. It seems that if the clutch over heated at some point, it could also give you a similar effect. Its easy to see this by inspecting the pressure plate and the dmf. If the friction surface is somewhat blued, your clutch overheated.
You could test the dmf by trying to rotate it. It is recoils back to its original position and is not grooved or blue, you are ok there. Best bet is to take it apart and inspect.
Raj
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Mr Pump
Track Day

Thanks for your feedback Raj.

I will check the items you mention to look for, via an inspection.

Another question.

If there is evidence of blueing on the DMF, does this normally signal the required replacement of the DMF (assuming that there is no scoring of the part and that the DMF mechanism works properly)?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much. You could consider sanding the surface down just a tad bit which should hold up just fine for street applications.
I have tried to cover worst case scenarios, chances are its something much simpler.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blueing is caused by overheating, i.e. the po learned how to drive a manual on the car. Depending on how bad the surface is overheated decides wether you need a new DMF or not. Overheated spots on the surface will cause it to chatter, because it is a harder spot where it is blue and normally has some deposits on it.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Mr Pump
Track Day

Thanks for your feedback guys, I will be tearing into her this week-end. Hopefully the issue will be a minor one that can be quickly remedied.

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a failing Clutch or DMF