Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Keep my 968 cab or get a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:07 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazingly similar to comments in the 70s and 80s concerning 914s, ultimately known for its' track prowess. History and people are forever repetitive
Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
Amazingly similar to comments in the 70s and 80s concerning 914s, ultimately known for its' track prowess. History and people are forever repetitive
I don't think the 914 ever costed more than an older 911. Ever. A 951 or 968 is a cracking good deal. A Boxster is just another expensive mass produced sportscar.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I think you strengthened my point. Early Boxsters already cost less than the price of an older 911, have more HP, handle better, have good AC, radios that work. Have you priced a late 60s or early 70s 911 lately?Better still, have you let up in a corner in an old 911?

Even 3.0 SCs in good shape will bring more than a 2.5 Boxster that's been daily driven. I agree that may be mass production driving supply above demand, but in 10 years, 986s will surpass 914s as track car choice for those who want to race cheap. The supply of M96 engines will be plentiful and you can squeeze most anything behind the seats, just like the, hmmm, let me see, the 914!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Has anyone seen the price of VG condition 914's lately? I've seen examples of a 2.0 with over 90K miles being listed at over $11,000.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ very true....my 914-6 has shot up in value so much that my specialty insurer contacted me to increase the value of my policy, as the market jumped.

as for the original discussion, I have never, in all my cars owned, had so many people yell at me or ask "what is that!?!?!?!?" or "OMG, I've never seen one of those?!?!?" or even "WTH is a 968?!?!"

there's just something nice about strangers becoming so interested in your car.....add to that there are, right now 3 silver boxsters in my office's parking lot.....a true cookie-cutter if there ever was one. I am not knocking the car, as I love everything about the boxster, but what fun is it in owning just another boxster?????
Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had them both, and others. I race a 944 TurboS, had other 944 Turbo's. Had a gorgeous black 968, sold it and got a 2000 Boxster nonS, sold it and have a 993 C2 Cab. I was never a big fan of Boxsters till I owned one.

968's are one of the best cars Porsche ever produced, and I am looking for another. But in my opinion only the Coupes with the 6 speed. The 968 cabriolet is the typical cabriolet approach ie a Coupe with the roof cut off. The Boxster on the otherhand is a fabulous car, designed and built as a cab and it shows. The roof arrangement is very clean and easy to use. Wind noise and watertightness are great. It was rattle free and performed well. Fun fun car to drive. I would and did take a Boxster over a 968 Cab any day.

I now have a 993 Cab, and its back to being a coupe with the roof cutoff. It rattles down the road, noise is deafening, it lets water in, the roof and cover is a pain to use, it does look gorgeous however. The Boxster felt quicker than the 993, which is my biggest dissapointment with the 993.

My choice based on my experiences would be:

For a 2+2 considereing value for money, everyday car- 968 coupe 6 speed.
For a 2 seater Cabriolet, -BoxsterS, 2000 or newer, and preferably 2002 or newer with the glass rear window
For a 2+2 Cabriolet- 996.

Newer Boxsters are great cars, very refined and drive very nicely, I would recomend them to anyone, and would have one again in a heartbeat. Don't buy anaything older than 2000, unless its an absolute steal which 15k is not,
Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Similar to our debate on the merits of each, it really is tough to decide who stays in and who stays out at night. The 968 looks lonesome outside tonight, and dirty.
I shouldn't post pictures of it with those ugly shoes, but they ride so much better than the 18s!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

be interesting to see a bonafide shootout in the tuner afterworld.

you can also make the argument that used Boxsters and 968s are now so inexpensive, they're the bargain Porsches.... and if you address the IMS and variocams systems respectively, you can drive em pretty far for reasonable $$$$.

Originally Posted by grey ghost

have have 968 with over 250K miles doing my own work. no suprises in repairs. did a valve job last year. it was just preventative work. they was no wear on the cyl bores, i have two buddies that work for the nascar shops (gibbs and Everham) they were shocked at the lack wear. I screwed it up going back together and broke the chain on start up. In the last year I have picked up a couple of used engines. one had damage to the block broke the mount for the alt,ac bracket. kept it for spares.
got a good one with 43k going the next weekend.

the boxster m86/m96 motor is Junk. I had a 2004 s 550 that the IMS let go at 17k yeah a $17000.00 repair. i feel that this motor is a ticking time bomb. Loved the car, just not as reiable as the 968.
we sold the Boxster S. and kept the 968.

as a daily driver you can't beat the 968.

great post. shows the LN Engineering ims upgrade is worth well worth the investment.

Last edited by odurandina; 10-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 2003 Boxster S which has been great and no issues other than a power window motor.
Car is super fun and great even if you want to daily drive. But, I still enjoy driving my 944 S2 Cabrio more.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

i bumped this one without any such knowledge.

but, we currently have 3 active Boxster/Cayman vs 944 vs 968 threads going right now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-comparos.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...boxster-3.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-vs-944-a.html

Last edited by odurandina; 10-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 968 was a supremely comfortable and competent commuter car, with reasonably good gas mileage. Wish I could say the maintenance costs were low, but they weren't. This car gave me good and faithful service until I sold it with 172K miles.

I've used Boxsters as commuting cars with equally satisfactory results, albeit in a mid-engine configuration. The things I look for in a commuter car are all there - comfortable/supportive seats, good performance (braking, steering, acceleration, etc.), and fun to drive (all my Porsches have been stick shift, by the way). My gas mileage averages about 28 or 29 in mostly highway driving.

The 968 was good (real good, in fact) and I miss it, but the Boxster is a superior car in every way.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VGM911

Wish I could say the maintenance costs were low, but they weren't.

i knew it would be like this when i got her...

but, it's been a pleasure driving her all over creation, and worth the green fees imo.

oh wait, i could spend another 7 grand in the engine bay the day after tomorrow.

wow. this car is expensive. nevermind.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:59 PM
scottish007
5th Gear

Originally Posted by smshirk
The cars are so different I don't think it's fair to rate one "better" than the other. The Boxster is easier to drive, the clutch won't wear you out in traffic, and you feel like you can drive it cross country without getting tired. Always a smile on your face. The 968 feels more traditional, feels like there is more low end torque, but I'm not sure that is true. Fourth gear in the 968 at 80 on the interstate feels like you can do anything, much more powerful than the Boxster S, though the numbers may not bear that out. The 968 definitely looks better to most everyone, but like was said earlier, can be a real downer in heavy traffic day in and day out. Mine stays parked unless I'm going North, away from Atlanta, whereas I like to drive the Boxster to work. I may have liked my 97 better than the S I just bought. You could go wide open all over the place, kind of like the Miata, but you are actually going fast, and not just feeling fast.

Driving the 968 is more of an experience than just going somewhere. It's almost like deciding to ride a motorcycle instead of driving a car. It is exhilerating, much like driving an older 911 Targa, but with a decent air conditioner.

Every porsche is wonderful in its' own way and every generation gets better in some ways, but maybe not as good as the old ones in other ways. The 996/997 is as good as a car can get, but is not as good in many ways as its' air cooled brethren. That's how you wind up with four Porsches at the same time and keep 3 battery tenders rotating on constantly. I had to install electrical outlets all over the place just to keep their little batteries warm.
Outstanding analysis. I'm considering a Boxster and the 968. Definitely more in the 968 column thanks to your post.

P.S. I understand the Atlanta traffic reference
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently had the pleasure of assisting a neighbor purchase his 1st Porsche, a 2000 Boxster S. I test drove the car and also drove the car down home after the transaction. I liked the willingness of the boxer engine to rev, but it seemed low on torque until it got past 4500rpm. The engine was buttery smooth up the rev range, unlike the 968's engine, which tends to vibrate as the revs increase.

All in all, I would not give up my 968 cab for a boxster S. The 968 design is classic Porsche and they are so uncommon. Also, the boxster has a much smaller passenger compartment. I almost felt claustrophobic in it.

As far as the clutch, my 968 clutch is buttery smooth and super soft compared to my neighbor's boxster. To be honest, I have never felt a softer clutch on any Porsche before.

Raj
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't like the 6-cyl mid-engine experience, like having an eggbeater droning right behind me all the time.

Quick Reply: Keep my 968 cab or get a Boxster?