Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts
Default Balance Shafts and Norbert Singer

While I was at Parade this year, I sat in on a Q&A session with "THE MAN."

A question was asked about the balance shafts in the original 944 LA MANS car.

Most people think the balance shafts were included due to the anoying vibration of larger 4 cylinder motors. In fact that is true but, as Norbert points out, it wasn't for comfort that Porsche included them.

He stated that they were having significant problems with the pistons wearing out prematurely. They determined the vibrations at high RPMs were causing the pistons to "vibrate" inside the cylinders enough to cause excessive wear.

They added the balance shafts to eliminate the vibrations to prolong the engine. The by product was a smoother road engine.

Just thought it was an interesting discussion that I had not seen in any other books or forums.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting stuff. I have heard that some of the guys on the board are running without the Balance Shafts. They should check for exessive wear on the pistons!!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:42 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The other (more significant, in my book) problem is that the oil pick up tube will fracture as a result of the increased vibrations, altho thats likely a concern of age as well, and not one that the LeMans team was worried about.

Regards,
Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 968iniraq
While I was at Parade this year, I sat in on a Q&A session with "THE MAN."

A question was asked about the balance shafts in the original 944 LA MANS car.

Most people think the balance shafts were included due to the anoying vibration of larger 4 cylinder motors. In fact that is true but, as Norbert points out, it wasn't for comfort that Porsche included them.

He stated that they were having significant problems with the pistons wearing out prematurely. They determined the vibrations at high RPMs were causing the pistons to "vibrate" inside the cylinders enough to cause excessive wear.

They added the balance shafts to eliminate the vibrations to prolong the engine. The by product was a smoother road engine.

Just thought it was an interesting discussion that I had not seen in any other books or forums.
Great information right from the source. Many thanks for sharing!
Old 07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Great information right from the source. Many thanks for sharing!
Yeah, but do you think it will convince the naysayers?
Raj
Old 07-15-2008, 11:51 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Having had an oil pick up tube crack at the track....
I can tell you that I would not touch taking out the Balance Shafts...
Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There are too many people that think they got it all figured out and Porsche goes around adding balance shafts and counter weights to their cars for no reason. I guess only time will tell and hopefully they will learn their lesson.
Raj
Old 07-23-2008, 10:30 AM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
There are too many people that think they got it all figured out and Porsche goes around adding balance shafts and counter weights to their cars for no reason. I guess only time will tell and hopefully they will learn their lesson.
Raj
in my 25+ years of owning and working on Porsches', I've come to realize that EVERY part on the car(s) is engineered, and there for a reason.

do NOT remove parts, because you believe you are "improving" the car. I have yet to go wrong with any of my cars with this mentality.

Quick Reply: Balance Shafts and Norbert Singer