968 Forum 1992-1995

NEED HELP FOR AN EVASIVE RATTLE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 PM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default NEED HELP FOR AN EVASIVE RATTLE

I'm very frustrated. I picked up my second 968 about two months ago and on the trip back from several states over (where I purchased the car), I developed a slight "rattle" that seemed to be coming from the engine bay. Since the car has 90K miles on it and no evidence of having had the cam tensioner pads and chain replaced, I decided to replace both the pads and the chain at the same time making an inspection of the cam sprockets.

I found nothing really wrong except that the pads were pretty well chewed up; so, I did the full replacements and after starting the car back up.....the rattle is still there. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse.....and of course, it is not getting any better.

So, I put the car up on a lift and started looking for loose things. Didn't find anything.....so I went out and got an engine stethoscope and put the probe all over the engine, and did not find the rattle.

So, back in the air the car went.....and I can now say that it "appears" that the rattle is coming from within the bell housing that houses the clutch and flywheel. I havn't had an opportunity, yet, to pull the clutch access plate, but am not sure what I should be looking for when I do get the cover off.

Has anyone had experience with a rattle coming from the clutch area of their cars? The rattle sounds like a nut or bolt that is loose and rattling around.

Ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:59 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, your DMF has failed. Its a knocking sound, correct.
Raj
Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

No. I wouldn't describe the rattle as a knock. I sounds like I have a bracket that is loose. Or a metal clip that is rattling. It doesn't sound like anything with a lot of mass. Not very loud either. At first we thought that it was the clutch on the A/C compressor since it sounded just like that.

If it were the DMF, what is the current fix for that? I don't want the noise or driveability issues of the Firenza flywheel.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Get another dmf and call it a day. Its pretty impressive what the dmf does. You get a lot of rattle and vibes if you go with a non dmf unit.
You can get them at a pretty decent price. Let me know if you need help finding a good price.
Sounds to me like you are suffering from something different.
Raj
Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Raj,

I had a new set of tires put on today at the shop I have used in the past for Porsche repairs; so, I had them take a look at the rattle. After listening to it and putting the car on a lift, the consensus was that I did have a problem in the clutch area. They seemed to think that it was related either to the TO bearing installation or that I may have a DMF on its last leg. They couldn't really say more unless we tore it down for inspection.

I guess that I can't envision what would be wrong with a TO bearing. My experience has been that these bearings either whine when engaging the clutch or vibrate when they are going bad. I have never had one rattle.

That brings us down to the DMF. With 90K miles on the car, and no recorded history of having replaced the flywheel, I have to assume that it may be the culprit rattling.

If you have a source or can direct me to where I can get a new flywheel I'd appreciate it. I've researched the Fidenza and the RS Barnes unit and am afriad that both flywheels will result in the transmittal of vibrations into the cabin. I'm sure that I could handle a little bit, but would hate to have to pull the thing apart again to fix a new noise.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Raj,

In one of your posts on this string, you eluded to me having some other issue going on other than the clutch or the flywheel. Can you relate to me what you were thinking?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:15 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Its was based on your description that you thought some bracket was loose. Sounds to me like DMF.
Raj

Quick Reply: NEED HELP FOR AN EVASIVE RATTLE