968 Forum 1992-1995

Tips for removing door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:49 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for removing door panels?

Anyone have any tips for removing door panels? Or do I just take out the screws. I'm swapping speakers out of the doors. Does the armrest assembly come apart seperately without taking the whole panel down?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

A pretty straight forward job, yes, mostly screws. There are plastic push pins along the bottom and side edges. It would be best to have a fork tool to get those out. The only permenant part will be that the speaker wire has a tie holding it to the door panel which you'll have to cut to separate. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is possible to get to the face of the speaker assembly without removing the entire door panel. The map pocket/speaker grill area will come off by itself removing the lower screws around the perimeter.

Those with scratched or rusty grills can easily remove the grills from the carpeted panel for a repaint. The hard part is getting the black paper barrier off that is glued to backs of the grills, (if you leave it on, it will soak up your paint and not let the sound through very well.) I used brake clean and a brass wire brush to remove the paper, then hit em with the garden hose. Black laquer seemed to adhere well and look good for me. Might be able to find the black paper backing somewhere, I'll let you know if I find it.

Quick Reply: Tips for removing door panels?