Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

HELP! Oil pressure problem at the track!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the timing belt on? If so, you might want to remove it and then you can turn the exhaust cam. You could also turn the cam by using a wrench as there are portions on the cam where you could slide a wrench on. If its unclear, I would be happy to walk you thru.
Ideally, you would like to do this by pressurizing the variocam unit and then turning the exhaust cam (timing belt off). thi woul ensure both cams turn together.
Raj
Old 05-31-2008, 02:25 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Update #5

Well it is running! So far no leaks, revs nicely.

I am going to let it cool over lunch (we have relatives in town and that gives me 2-3 hours to let the motor completely cool). Then attach the new manual steering rack, the sway and the street wheels / tires.

Next up....driving it.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Congrats on a job well done. Nothing like the pleasure of doing something like this and watch it purr.
I know exactly how you feel .
Raj
Old 06-01-2008, 05:49 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Yes, the only thing I can see it that it is running a bit hot. I need to raise just the front wheels and bump the cooling system one more time. I understand that you need to get the bleed valve at the highest point on the engine, so that the air forms a pocket at that bolt. Once you bleed it, I should be good to go.

One other question, the oil pressure settles in at 4.5 bar. It runs a little higher when I am pushing the car a bit up in the rev range. At idle, it settles down to about 2.5 to 3 bar and then goes back up the 4.5 bar under acceleration. Does this sound about right?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Your oil pressure sounds normal. If you blast the heat to full and let it run for a few before you crack open the bleed screw, you should be good to go.
Raj
Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Kevin Johnson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob76turbo
I installed a crank scrapper that I got from Paragon. Anyway it does not fit too well, which is why I posted about oil pan install. I had to remove a couple of the allen head bolts that hold the oil pan baffle in the bottom of the oil pan to fit everything together. Now it all fits....

Well, got all belts installed and tensioned properly. Went to give it a few rotations with the 24mm socket on my breaker bar. The engine rotated about 90 degrees and hit something solid. Went back and tried again, hit something solid. I think that the crank is binding on the crank scrapper I installed. That is very disappointing as I checked the crank scrapper several time during installation, but maybe when everything is buttoned up, there is something internal that is binding.

Bummer.... I have to pull the Lt side lower A-Arm and lower the engine support and pull the oil pan....but at least I know how to do that!!! If that is the case, I will probably call Jason over at Paragon and alert him since he is selling them. I do not want someone else to go through the same experience I am going through.... But I will not know until I pull the pan so I will post an update later.
Hi Rob,

I think I spoke with you on the phone about this a few months back. Anyway, I got another phone call yesterday from a Rennlister about the scraper saying he had read there were lots of problems fitting it.

There are a lot of possibilities:

Make sure the installation instructions are with the scraper. Sometimes they get left out. Samantha and I will be uploading all the installation instructions so anyone missing them can easily download them.

I went out this morning and installed 4 studs on the oil pan rail of the block I have here. Onto these studs I stacked 5 metal washers each with a thickness of 1.5 mm, so 7.5 mm total. The current OEM gasket has an 8mm thickness on the side rails with anti-crush inserts and this is crucial. The studs and spacers allow me to fit an oil pan with installed baffle -- in this case it is one of the earlier pans. I placed large lumps of clay over the mounting points of the baffle and pressed down the pan. This is the same general technique used to check valve to piston clearances with radical cams. Here is a picture -- I apologize that the white clay obscures the witness marks.

The bolt towards the center of the engine and the surrounding plastic bracket fit completely within the cutout. The scraper has had this dimension cutout for at least two years. The bolt closest to the end of the scraper sits directly over it. There is about 1mm clearance there. It is important to note that the stock M5 socket head cap screw Porsche fastener is a specialty item and has a reduced height head that is about 3.25mm high.

It could be that there are different height fasteners supplied by Porsche -- I don't know. It could be that the thickness of different baffle suppliers mounting tabs is changed -- hard to say. I do know that I was present at Dave White's shop in Tampa when they had a 968 race car up on the lift with the subframe dropped. I helped fit the scraper/windage-tray and these were not interference points on that particular installation.

All in all, I think the most likely problem is a different fastener. Here is a chart of the standard metric socket head cap screw dimensions:

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...cap_screws.htm

In this chart the normal height of the M5 head is 4.82mm+ : this fastener would hit.

I would suggest using M5 button head cap screws which have a 2.75mm max spec.:

http://www.barnhillbolt.com/specs/Me...etCapScrew.htm

In the future, I will try to locate these fasteners and include them with the scraper. Also remember that re-using an old oil pan gasket will amplify these problems.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:11 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Kevin,

Thanks for the update. Can I purchase the extra fasterners from you? I plan to remove the front struts in a few months to replace them with upgrades. At that point, I am not too far away from removing the oil pan once again....

That would be a good time to try to reinstall the scrapper.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Kevin Johnson
Racer

Kevin,

Thanks for the update. Can I purchase the extra fasterners from you? I plan to remove the front struts in a few months to replace them with upgrades. At that point, I am not too far away from removing the oil pan once again....

That would be a good time to try to reinstall the scrapper.
I will pop some in the mail for you -- please send me an email with a USPS address.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Kevin Johnson
Racer

Here are some pics:

Quick Reply: HELP! Oil pressure problem at the track!!