Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Advice on prep for 5000 mi road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on prep for 5000 mi road trip?

Hey all,

I'm having a crazy notion to take a 5000 mi (including sightseeing) road trip from Detroit to Glacier National Park this summer in the 968. I'm sure the 9-5 Aero would be more appropriate, but there is that nagging dream from my childhood of driving across the country in a Porsche. I grew up in western Montana and if you've had a chance to drive the roads there, you'd understand why the 968 is the best choice. Other than a Valentine one, I'm wondering what kind of tune-up maintanence or accutrements I should perform.

It's a long trip through some hot weather and high elevations. Should I be worried?

My car just turned 73,000 mi. I just did the timing/bs belt, all rollers, front engine re-seal, and she needs an engine mount, rear sus bushing, hatch pins and clutch master. I don't have much service history on the car. Also wondering which engine mount to go with.

Was wondering about:
Cap and Rotor
Wires/plugs
Diff fluid
Brake flush
Dynamat the trunk floor and cubbies for noise reduction

Anything you guys can think of to check or replace? Is this a dumb idea? There will not be much for Porsche service or dealers once west of Chicago.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:52 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do the clutch master, do the slave at the same time.

The clutch line is getting old you may as well replace that too.

I used a braided clutch line from RS Barn, that is more robust and cheaper than the rubber replacement.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would carry all hoses, belts, dme relay, coolant, fix a flat, battery charger, jumper cables.
Personally, I feel better buying oem stuff, knowing it has to pass rigorous tests before it can be approved. If I were to do the clutch line, I would stick with oem.
I think only time will prove what is robust and what is not. For now, we do know that the stock line will eventually fail and should be addressed.
Raj
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Take a spare DME relay. Change your heater control valve to the all metal audi part.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:17 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
. For now, we do know that the stock line will eventually fail and should be addressed.
Raj
For all we know, the new and improved line wont fail as soon as the rubber line.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Stick with OEM engine mounts.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make your self a kit with DME, Belt's ect...... But join AAA.

Cheers,
Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm really **** so I carry a spare fuel pump, major brains, some hose material, clamps, critical relays, plus the stuff mentioned above. And make sure that your battery powered air pump works to the correct PSI.

Also, I'd suggest that you check your hoses. Any leaking? Driving some thousands of miles with no brakes, clutch, or hard steering can be stressful.

The gas hoses can be a show-stopper if they leak and cause a fire. If they're not supple, I'd replace all gas hoses. Probably overdue anyway. I don't know if 968s catch fire very often or not, but it's relatively common with older 928s. The heat and age take their toll.

BTW, gas hoses for older Pcars are becoming an item that may quickly fall into the NLA (no longer available) category. Again, being ****, having spares around anyway is not a bad idea. The prices for some parts only will go up and you can always sell them later, likely for more than you paid if they become NLA. Aftermarket hose repairs for some applications is always possible but some Porsche hoses are pretty complicated. Due to liability, many hose shops won't touch a fuel hose repair.

On the 928 I even carry an extra MAF...but the 968 is soooooo much more reliable than the other Porsches I'm really into overkill on everything. I've not had a failure on a 968 part yet but, just in case........At the same time, the paranoid side of me says that at midnight, being stranded along a remote roadside in Resume Speed, Montana would be a bad experience if you weren't prepared. Getting stuff shipped in to some of those places doesn't happen overnight. Here in the west, it's not uncommon for towns or gas stations to be 75 miles apart.

I'm not quite to the point of needing to pull a trailer yet. Why so paranoid? I'm experienced with 928s!

Now, with all that, enjoy the trip!

H2
Old 03-03-2008, 03:31 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
For all we know, the new and improved line wont fail as soon as the rubber line.
Thanks. Just my point. Its an assumption that the design is any better. That has yet to be proven. I guess we will revisit it 15 yrs from now.
Raj
Old 03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Are braided break lines any better than stock rubber lines?

Besides par for course, keep bashing the products because of personal vendettas. Whether the parts are good or not, only some of us will really know.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
cdtscout
Intermediate

I have traveled similar distances on several occasions with only 1 minor incident...stuck fuel pump. I take road-trips with both my sons (individual trips...they pick the destination, I go along for the journey). We even have a tradition of sleeping 1 night in the car...@the motel 968. These are great adventures that I really enjoy...and so do they; they don't even listen to their ipods (although they always have it available) we enjoy the sound of the car, the road and have terrific conversations. My 968, has 125k miles on it now... I just returned from a 3k trip down the east coast. No worries.

My advice, in addition to having a blast, is to take along a part that you feel is most likely to fail... so far for me, insurance that this part will not fail. In addition to a fuel pump... this year I packed an alternator.

Anyway, these are great road-trip cars...have fun!
Old 03-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
Are braided break lines any better than stock rubber lines?

Besides par for course, keep bashing the products because of personal vendettas. Whether the parts are good or not, only some of us will really know.
Gee, you push a vendor every time you can, and are surprised that people offer other options?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:51 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Ok Mr. Promax and Cargraphic.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions. Wouldn't have thought about the DME or other relays, fuel lines. ... and AAA is an excellent idea.

I'm wanting to change out the diff fluid. What brand is everyone having success with?

Brake fluid? ATE superblue? Is that overkill?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

For the gear box Swepco.

Quick Reply: Advice on prep for 5000 mi road trip?