968 Forum 1992-1995

Advice on prep for 5000 mi road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 04:06 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Take a spare DME relay. Change your heater control valve to the all metal audi part.
I've heard that the all metal Audi HCV is no longer all metal...but plastic and metal....and there may be a slight diameter variation from the Porsche part. I just bought Porsche and installed it...and carry a spare.

I tried and was unable to get the all metal HCV from Audi, AutoZone, NAPA, etc. Their computer pic shows the all metal unit but when they bring it out and open the box, it's always mostly plastic.

H2
Old 03-03-2008 | 04:07 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
Ok Mr. Promax and Cargraphic.
I like to promote Promax, as they have a great product AND are paying sponsors of Rennlist. I've said a million times that most people won't consider the Cargraphic, as the expense is beyond what many are prepared to pay. If/when I find something outperforms what I have I upgrade. (I'm on my third strut tower brace . . .)
Old 03-03-2008 | 04:10 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by macadamianut

I'm wanting to change out the diff fluid. What brand is everyone having success with?

Brake fluid? ATE superblue? Is that overkill?
Redline tranny oil works fine for me.

You don't need high temp brake fluid for normal road driving. Just buy whatever is a your local auto parts store.
Old 03-03-2008 | 04:57 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Gee, I'm not sure I'd worry about taking so much stuff for the car with me. If the maintenance is up to date like you say, the trip should be problem free.

The last time I took a 5,000+ mile road trip in my 16V Porsche waterpumper, all I took along for the car was a car bra, a wash mitt and a chamois leather to wash the bug splatter off every other day. These cars are built for endurance!

Here we are somewhere between Memphis and Kentucky:
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2008 | 04:59 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

I have heard Redline suggested a lot. I'll check it out. Good to know about the brake fluid.
Old 03-03-2008 | 06:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
Redline tranny oil works fine for me.

You don't need high temp brake fluid for normal road driving. Just buy whatever is a your local auto parts store.
+1 on Redline. I have been very pleased using their products over the yrs.
I always use their transaxle fluid. I think you need approx 2.2 quarts if doing a complete flush.
Raj
Old 03-04-2008 | 01:36 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the manual transaxles, I run 75-90NS Redline in my 928 and Swepco in the 968. I think I'll put Redline in the 968. Will 75-90NS work well in the 968? I think it's GL-5.

What type/weight oil do you prefer for the 968 engine? (Not a hot climate here in Idaho)

What about coolant? Yellow, Orange, Green...Brand? It's about Spring and about time to change out the fluids.

Harvey
Old 03-04-2008 | 07:14 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

When that aftermarket clutch line was introduced I raised the question: "If the pattern is that they're now failing on cars with 100K+ miles, why wouldn't the OEM line do just fine as a replacement?"

Never got a good answer on that one.
Old 03-04-2008 | 09:26 AM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Etnier
When that aftermarket clutch line was introduced I raised the question: "If the pattern is that they're now failing on cars with 100K+ miles, why wouldn't the OEM line do just fine as a replacement?"

Depends what you want out of your clutch. The lightweight flywheels and matching spring centered clutches will give you a different experience over the stock clutch and DMF. The LWFW and spring clutches are also cheaper. There longevity might not be as long as stock, but that is the nature of the clutch and the driving style of the typical user of a clutch setup like that.
Old 03-04-2008 | 09:36 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Up until now, we've been discussing the hose (line) which runs between the master and slave cylinders and that's what I was talking about in my post. Sorry.
Old 03-04-2008 | 11:35 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John Etnier

+1

And the clutch line does note experience the same pressure levels a brake line sees, so the aftermarket braided steel line is overkill. But the racer bling will impress all your friends (except the smart ones!)
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:00 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Originally Posted by H2
I'm really **** so I carry a spare fuel pump, major brains, some hose material, clamps, critical relays, plus the stuff mentioned above. And make sure that your battery powered air pump works to the correct PSI. Also, I'd suggest that you check your hoses. Any leaking?
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:30 PM
rdhayward
Racer

On a more serious note...

I take long road-trips all the time and have learned that the most important thing is to KNOW YOUR VEHICLE!

For example, in my Jeep Liberty just recently, I left Colorado on December 21 and arrived in Ohio on December 23. Then I went to Arlington, TX, for Xmas; Austin for New Years Eve, a night in Fair Oaks Ranch, TX (near San Antonion) and back to South Lyon, Michigan (not far from you?) on January 3.

I was driving 2-hours each way to a town in Ohio for 2 weeks to help paint my 968 (see other posts).

On January 22, I drove to tiny Martinsburg, PA, to pick up a friend's trailer, and drove that back to Ohio to load up my later mother's 1974 Jaguar XKE. I stayed at my dad's house in Arlington, TX, on January 25, then again in Fair Oaks Ranch, TX, and from there I pulled the empty trailer to Navarre, FL.

The friend who loaned me the trailer is a physician wit the Air Force Special Ops, but he's about to change back to the Army (he and I were both in Special Forces as youngsters), so I trailered one of his vehicles back to Martinsburg, PA, and then drove myself back to Ohio.

I bought this Liberty new in November 2005 and have 127k miles on it now. But prior to that I did similar road-tripping in Jeep Wagoneers (one of which the same friend in Florida now owns), did my own work entirely, and knew what tools I would need to do just about anything with them.

I think there are a bunch of photos of my travels on MySpace page: www.myspace.com/oralph

Sorry to digress off the beaten Porsche 968 path. Just wanted to share with you in a roundabout way that it's important to know your vehicle, because it helps determine what you should bring with you.
Old 03-04-2008 | 02:34 PM
rdhayward
Racer

And, one more thing...

I can't wait to take this 968 back to Colorado this spring or summer, just to drive it on the 240-mile ring from Ridgway to Ouray to Silverton to Durango to Cortez to Telluride to Placerville to Ridgway!
Old 03-04-2008 | 08:47 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Ok I cannot help but chime in- KNOW your car!!!! if the belts are OK then bring what can drain out and help you get to safety. - Antifreeze- or water, powersteering fuild- although you can loose everything and still drive for 1000s of miles (trust me) brake fluid, fix a flat and AAA gold membership - its like 250 miles free. At that rate you can get where you are going or at least get close to an internet connection and one of US LISTERS!!!!

I am not pulling rank here but I lived on both coasts for 11 years and logged 200K on my 951 and 180+K on my 968. Just do not get caught in the desert empty handed. I limped a dead WP for 200 miles with 3gallons of AF. Fill up at stops, let cool down fill again, and I changed the pump next day in less than 1 hour in the parking lot of the Napa store the next morning in my monkey suit- Oh yeah, bring gloves, a tool kit and a monkeysuit!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!! THE USA IS LIFE CHANGING- see it from your PORSCHES while we are above ground!!!

IMHO- Mike

Quick Reply: Advice on prep for 5000 mi road trip?