968 Forum 1992-1995

The saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
rdhayward
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The saga continues

I got a call from a man at the Ohio Atty General's office today, regarding a complaint I filed online about the shop where my car was painted. He'd spoken with the owner of the shop, who claimed I'd been given an "oral estimate" of $5,000, that they charged me $40/hr and should have billed me for another 100 or so hours, and that they did an excellent job to the car, all of which is nonsense.

Then we get into an argument about the statute, as he's telling me I should have requested a written estimate, and I'm telling him that the law requires the shop to provide me with a written form, even for an oral estimate:

http://www.collisionboard.ohio.gov/p...20Estimate.pdf

I mean, we're both reading the same law and arguing about what it says, and this statute is basic to what this ******** does for a living! So I finally tell him we're getting nowhere and end the call.

I then call the Atty General's office directly and speak to an attorney who is in charge of consumer protection, also who is the supervisor of the non-attorney ********. She told me I was correct in everything I stated, that the mediation would continue by re-contacting the shop and telling them, simply, that if they didn't have a written estimate or similar form that they were not compliant with the law. The shop could then make a more-informed decision as to whether to pay me now or take their chances in court.

Here's the most recent Ohio case regarding this issue, which is also in the same appellate jurisdiction as the shop that worked on my car:

http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/Appeals/DecisionsPDF/3198.pdf

I just know I'm going to end up suing, which could take upwards of a year to solve. But my immediate situation is that this has broken me financially and, to some extent, emotionally.

And so it goes. Hi ho.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck. It will be a long tiring process but its a matter of principal. I am glad you are not letting him off the hook.
Raj
Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts

My heart goes out to you- the pub- garage- body fit up vacation in not so sunny Virginia ( for at least 2 more months- no snow though) still stands. Small encouragement I know but maybe it helps.....

Mike
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear this. be aware that even if you win in court, you may have a serious issue getting reparations. if you do not have legal representation guiding you, you may want to cosider getting some. a court order is useless without a way to enforce it, or to enforce it against someone who doesn't have the means. be wary of the "shell game" in ownership.....whom any court order gets attached to is key in your case.

best of luck.

Quick Reply: The saga continues