Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How many here have completely stock cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with the M030 sway bars. Call sunset imports in Oregon. I think they are under $500 or $600 with bushings.
R&R should be only a couple hours.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great ... thanks a million. I bought my new hatch seal there - great prices & they are quick & knowledgeable. Perhaps when I do need a new exhaust system I could look at an aftermarket setup. I'd imagine that install would take far more expertise then I'm capable of & is best left to someone else. Wish I was still in the market and could buy your car.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
It is fairly straight forward to swap the cat back.
If you do decide to on a cat back check out RS Barn.
http://www.rsbarn.com/968headers.html
They have many options and for the price, you can not beat it.
Less than $700
Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
The weight loss with the exhaust is significant but if you are happy with the sound and performance of your car now but want to tighten up the feel than I would say the sways would be the better move, M030 sways should not be hard to find. I'll let the actual wrenchers give you a real answer to your other question but I would say yes a weekend wrencher could do it. if I don't have a lift to put the car on my many past broken bones let me know it. The weight loss with the exhaust is significant.

Raj,
Did we take this far enough off topic for you yet?
Absolutely not. As long as its helping someone, no issues whatsoever.
Raj
Old 02-20-2008, 10:45 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine is stock...except for the roll cage, race seats, 6 ways belts, motons, springs, sways, wheels, Hoosiers, QD steering wheel, aim, rear v mirror, K & N, holes in air box, exhaust, headers, cat delete, M030 conversion, charlie arms, camber plates, caster blocks, all poly bushings, LSD, LH battery and bracket, kill switch, PFC 01 pads.....

Man what was I thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
DC968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a stock '94 coupe w/just over 94K miles. I've put about 50K miles on it since buying it in 2001 (used it as my daily driver until 2005) and have loved each mile. With a 6-month old at home now, I don't get to drive it as much as I'd like, but it still puts a smile on my face each time I pull it out of the garage.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Both my father's '94 coupe and '92 cab are bone stock except for wheels. His '89 951 is bone stock except for wheels too. For a pure street car like he uses them, I wouldn't do any other mods either. Maybe an exhaust on the turbo, thats it.

Thats ok, i have enough mods for the whole family on my car and then some.

Edit: forgot the PO's put a CD decks in the cab and 951. Otherwise stock like I said.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't see much point in a 100% stock car.
There are today far better shocks than the positively crappy original Sachs. The Koni are the minimum tolerable, and as soon as you've tried a car with Moton or KW you do begin to wonder if there is still a point fitting Koni.
The worst so called "upgrade" one can do to ruin the overall ride quality of a stock car used on the road is fitting wheels bigger than the original 16", with low profile tires. Bigger wheels and tires are usually heavier, and anything that actually increases non-suspended masses will deteriorate the ride quality.
My 951 has 3-way Moton, M030 sways and Delrin bushings, yet I am pretty cofident it feels better than any 100% stock 951/944S2/968 ever made for road use, regardless how "soft" or "hard" I set the shocks. I use CS/D90 16" wheels and am pretty sure I will never fit any bigger wheels.
The few 968 I drove so far were fitted with 17" Cup wheels and am pretty sure the wheels widely contributed to my overall disappointment with the 968. I am sure I will love one on 16" wheels.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

I have never kept a car stock.

Mods in the works on my 951

My 944 is probably the most "stock" car I have ever had.
I had some "upgrades" on it, but have sold those parts off and returned the car to stock.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Club sport steering wheel is still 'stock' but a great improvement as long as you don't mind losing the airbag.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think in general, seats, sound equipment, steering wheels etc are definitely items that don't adversely effect the driving dynamics of a car. The steering gives you a nicer feel but it doesn't effect the ride quality.
I was curious on people's impression on ride quality and what suspension mods do to them.
Raj
Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's also stock...except for the few changes I made, like Mikew968!

BTW, Mike...which Motons do you have? I just bought a used set of club sports from a friend and would love to get some settings from you...I've got 650# springs up front and 750# in the rear.

Jason
Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

My 95 cab is completely stock down to the factory radio and CD changer. I purchsed the car with very low miles on it and use it for a weekend cruiser and its great on the open road. I did change the shifter **** but thats it. The clock even works. The car qualifies for the PCA survivor category.

Now my other P-cars are different stories, the 968 coupe, the 911 and the 930 have seen extensive motor mods, boosting and track time so the Cab gets to sit back and be the voueur..

Mike
Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've often wondered why people spend so much money modding street cars like the 968 that are already highly capable in their stock form. Sometimes it makes sense, like if you're replacing worn shocks and are already need to spend some money. Or maybe if you buy a new set of wheels because they look cool. But most of the time I question if people really see the benefit of the money they spend on mods. I’m sure they think they do, but I have a hard time believing it if the car is driven strictly on the street.

My wife's 968 was 100% stock the entire time we owned it. I tracked it from being a novice student all the way up to the instructor level doing nothing other than swapping in race brake pads and track tires. It didn't even have the M030 items. That car was fun and comfortable on the street and an absolute blast to drive on the track. When I got my black M030 car it was slightly less comfortable to drive on the street than the standard car, but would turn slightly faster lap times on the track. That was OK for me because I planned to use it mostly as a track car, but I never found the car any more fun to drive on the street than the standard car.

The only reason I started modding the black car was because lap times became very important when I started thinking about racing. My car now has a list of mods similar to the one that Mike posted. Its virtually undrivable on the street, but its very fast on the track. The only reason its more fun is because it allows me to race competitively. If I wasn’t racing it, I couldn't honestly say its more fun to drive on the track than it was in its stock form.

Quick Reply: How many here have completely stock cars?