Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

DIY - Camshaft chain, tensioner pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the cam installation blocks then you don't have to keep the vario-cam unit compressed, this aids in keeping the cams in proper time. If the blocks are not available to you then yes keep the unit compressed as it will make installation easier.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Apex
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK that makes sense.

LOL! Nice username "968workaholic" - exactly how I feel these days.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex;
Here's my real question: shouldn't the re-install of the cams be done while the variocam is tensioned - keeping the chain loose and preventing the chain from pulling the cams inward?
Yes, that is the correct way of doing it. Even the manual tells you to compress the cams 1st using the cam blocks and then pull the variocam clip off.
You are understanding it 100% accurately.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 09-23-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I also made a tool out of a (thick) wire coat hanger. It took a few tries but I finally got the shape right. I can't imagine the actual tool being that expensive; I've been meaning to get one.

To get the tensioner in and out of the chain, I just squeeze it with my hands while my brother holds the cams. When I feel lazy, I compress the tensioner in a table vice (or c-clamp) and stick in the coat hanger tool.

Glad our efforts could help you out!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Apex
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I checked last week and the tool was $42.80 from Sunset and a month away in Germany. So a coupla tries with the wire bender seemed like the ticket.

Yes - thank you for all your help. My nice clean head is back - looking forward to next weekend when I should have all the other parts in hand.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I did this yesterday on my wife's 1993 968 tip. When I started the car up today, it ran really rough and I had to give it gas to keep it running (like it was missing on some cylinders). If I revved it up past around 2,800 RPM I heard a loud BZZT sound. If I disconnect the variocam connector and rev past 2,800 RPM I do not hear this.

1) Should the car run properly when the variocam connector is disconnected?
2) When taking out the oil tube to the tensioner, I did not see any check valve or o-ring. I just saw a tiny ball on the tensioner itself.

So wtf did I mess up? Maybe I lost the check valve without noticing, but that wouldn't make the car run rough at idle, correct? Please help!

Dan
'91 928GT S/C 475hp/460lb.ft
Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Ok so I took off the valve cover again and looked closer. It turns out I do have the check valve in there just fine. I also verified that the rotor is on properly (pointing upwards at TDC) and the wires are in the proper order. Any ideas of what could be the problem?

Dan

Last edited by dprantl; 02-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Dan,

When you reinstalled the cam shafts, did you match them up exactly as they came out? When I did mine, I locked the motor at TDC, and marked the cam shafts so that I could reinsert them exactly as they came out. Upon initial start up, there was a sound like a chain against metal, but that went away as soon as oil started flowing again.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 AM
dprantl
Race Car

Originally Posted by rob76turbo
Dan,

When you reinstalled the cam shafts, did you match them up exactly as they came out? When I did mine, I locked the motor at TDC, and marked the cam shafts so that I could reinsert them exactly as they came out. Upon initial start up, there was a sound like a chain against metal, but that went away as soon as oil started flowing again.
Yes, as best as I could. I used the two notches on the cams and tried to match the picture on the first page of this thread. Looking at them side to side, I believe I got it spot on, but maybe not?

Dan

Last edited by dprantl; 02-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM
dprantl
Race Car

On a similar note, does anyone actually have a picture of what the crank TDC mark location is supposed to look like on a tiptronic? The workshop manual references the dual-mass 6-speed flywheel like 7 times, but nothing for the tiptronic. I was using what I thought to be it under the car, but maybe I'm wrong... It is a little window just forward of the starter at the 6 o'clock position, and there is a ~5mm wide notch on the flywheel. Is that it?

Dan
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dan, not having much experience on tiptronic, I would assume there has to be a notch on the tiptronic damper just like the dmf. Do you have an inspection hole on a coverplate on the bell housing?
That is the proper way to get tdc as per the factory manual.
Another option would be to use a dial guage in cylinder #1 to get tdc.
Did you test the engine by turning it a few times before you ran it?
Raj
Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Dan, not having much experience on tiptronic, I would assume there has to be a notch on the tiptronic damper just like the dmf. Do you have an inspection hole on a coverplate on the bell housing?
That is the proper way to get tdc as per the factory manual.
Another option would be to use a dial guage in cylinder #1 to get tdc.
Did you test the engine by turning it a few times before you ran it?
Raj
Yes, I turned the engine over by hand many times to verify nothing was off. I'm going to get back to it this afternoon to double-check all timing marks again.

Dan
Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or.... go to your local auto parts store and pick up one of those TDC finders to make sure you're on track. When I did mine, I used a dial indicator instead of the flywheel marks at the inspection hole.

Kevin
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 PM
jeffbarn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar problem

I too just completed a chain and guide replacement.

For me engine is now weak/flat and does not want to rev. I just checked the fault codes and it says bad hall-signal. Connector was cracking, but I thought I was able to get it reconnected ok. Would this be my problem as well as Dan's?

I had a hell of a time finding the TDC timing mark. When I disassembled, I had used a flywheel lock with the cam timing mark at TDC, but with new belt, it was off 1/2 a notch. Inspecting the flywheel site hole I saw 2 lines shaped like this "<<" instead the the TDC mark, moving in the direction of the "arrows" I then found 2 lines with a dimond shaped mark in the middle (which is kinda lwhat it looks like in the shop manual, just more elongated in the manual). It seemed more than one "notch" of movement however.

I thought about checking the TDC of the piston, but since it looked like the shop manual diagram, I proceeded. I did rotate engine several times to make sure nothing was "binding"

Anyway, is the hall sensor likely my problem (and possibly Dan's) or should I recheck the timing?

BTW, can the hall sensor be replaced with out taking the cam gear off?

Thanks

Last edited by jeffbarn; 09-21-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The hall sensor comes off from the back side, no need to pull the cam gear. Once you dig into it, you'll see its not hard at all to replace. I just did mine about 6 months ago and it will definitely make a difference.

Regards,

Quick Reply: DIY - Camshaft chain, tensioner pads