968 Forum 1992-1995

968 exhaust comparison video

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
The sound of your exhaust might be my personal favorite. I also like how light-weight it appears to be.

Raj, I can always get a clip of Damian's car later and re-edit the movie for 5 exhaust systems. Plus people on the other forum are bitching about the sound quality so I'll redo w/ my good external mic someday.
Not sure why the sound quality should matter if it was the same for all systems. Its relative. Its not like one exhaust system used a different quality equipment than the other. I guess the outcome didn't meet the popular opinion.
Raj
Old 02-12-2008, 01:56 PM
stolarzj
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Not sure why the sound quality should matter if it was the same for all systems. Its relative. Its not like one exhaust system used a different quality equipment than the other. I guess the outcome didn't meet the popular opinion.
Raj
The problem is certain frequencies and sound levels get clipped when using cheaper mics and when the sound level on the mics is to high and when mics are to close, etc.. So you really can't get the true sound of a systems highs and lows when you have a cheaper mic and you have clipping occuring. One system might sound tinny in the video but in real life it has a nice low sound.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stolarzj
The problem is certain frequencies and sound levels get clipped when using cheaper mics and when the sound level on the mics is to high and when mics are to close, etc.. So you really can't get the true sound of a systems highs and lows when you have a cheaper mic and you have clipping occuring. One system might sound tinny in the video but in real life it has a nice low sound.
Fair enough. I guess we will have to wait for better quality.
Raj
Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Sorry I couldn't drive my car to CA so you could hear the Cargraphic exhaust!
Never fear Damian, I'll be comming to an airport near you soon. I have been told to come after April/May because it warms up. I can't take that cold weather yet.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice compilation! If you re-edit and your footage allows, add a few seconds of idle for each, it's an interesting comparison point.

This video also shows how quick the shifts must be in order to be smooth with a LWFW. This could get tiring on daily use.

Regards,
Chris
Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
The sound of your exhaust might be my personal favorite. I also like how light-weight it appears to be.

Raj, I can always get a clip of Damian's car later and re-edit the movie for 5 exhaust systems. Plus people on the other forum are bitching about the sound quality so I'll redo w/ my good external mic someday.
Whoa, nobody's bitching...just realizing that the recording could have been better. I think what anyone needs to strive for is consistency, which your video has. It's the same day, same environment, same recording equipment. Best thing anyone's done so far! Kudos!

Damian, if you're coming to Hershey, perhaps that may be the time to do another set of recordings under the same settings...I think there wil be plenty of 968s there!

- Darryl
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The way things are going my car doesn't look like it'll be ready for Hershey, but it won't be a true comparison anyway with headers/head/cams/Greimann airbox mods in addition to the Cargraphic cat and exhaust. My car sounds stock at idle, only when I'm caning it does it get more serious in tone.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Raj

Perhaps if you read what was written over there you may have better insight into the context of what was said.

Rather than taking a stab at people and guessing what someones opinion is.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
The way things are going my car doesn't look like it'll be ready for Hershey, but it won't be a true comparison anyway with headers/head/cams/Greimann airbox mods in addition to the Cargraphic cat and exhaust. My car sounds stock at idle, only when I'm caning it does it get more serious in tone.
You can not make that happen in two and half months?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:03 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default EEZATOY - question for you...

Have you tried that set up on the Dyno yet? I am buying a car with the same RS Barn set up (Cat back, air box mod and chip). Was wondering what additional HP you are getting. Any difference in performance?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob - Damian is not using RSBarn parts, there are dyno charts on 968forums.com for the RSBarn stuff
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Rob,

No dyno's of the upgrades, but seat of the pants - its definitly has more power, a faster response (quicker revving and breathes better) and the sound is deeper more sporty - I would guess that the combination easily add's somewhere in the 15 to 20 hps range and the cat back saves you a good 20+lbs over the stock set up.

All in all its one of my best/favorite mods - though my favorite is still the 944racing short shifter (that they unforunatly don't make anymore) Oh yea and the MDX antenna over the bee sting is nice too.

Sam
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Speedbump, Sam,

Thanks for the feedback. I will look up the dyno charts. I am looking forward to picking up the car. Should be fun!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Wow. Complete difference between an S2 with B&b cat-back and a 968. I love my B&B cat-back to death. I believe it is the best sounding 944/968 exhaust there is. It's very very deep at idle, and isn't nearly as loud (quite possibly half as loud) as that 968 with B&B exhaust.

I'm going to have to say I didn't like any of those exhaust, and the V2 RSBarn sounded like crap (no offense to anyone). I'll try to post a video of my S2's exhaust clip.
The video did not do the V2 RSbarn justice. The sound was very distorted. In reality it sounds better. However it is VERY loud and can come off alittle "rice e"
Going aftermarket for exhaust is touch and go for people but it will always be cheaper than buying a new exhaust from Sunset.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:09 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Wow. Complete difference between an S2 with B&b cat-back and a 968. I love my B&B cat-back to death. I believe it is the best sounding 944/968 exhaust there is. It's very very deep at idle, and isn't nearly as loud (quite possibly half as loud) as that 968 with B&B exhaust.

I'm going to have to say I didn't like any of those exhaust, and the V2 RSBarn sounded like crap (no offense to anyone). I'll try to post a video of my S2's exhaust clip.
Does your system have a resonator? I wonder how different a 944S2 would sound because of lack of variocam.
Raj

Quick Reply: 968 exhaust comparison video