Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:50 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I suppose I do have low standards.

I'm also poor.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 02-06-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I'm also poor.
Poor people don't build turbo 968s...I'm just saying that trying to build a turbo 3.0L on top of your shot suspension and crappy tires is just a VERY bad idea. Your suspension floats and bounces around undamped under slow speeds. Throw another 150hp in there and you have a potentially dangerous situation.

You are best off putting your money into the suspension and tires first to build a solid car BEFORE you think about a turbo. That much power on your platform in it's current state is like strapping a rocket onto your back while wearing roller skates.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The turbo plan involved 4 konis and new 17" tires before the motor was ever turned on. I've just been putting off that cost for the time being but now I guess I can't wait any more. I don't think I'm going to get 150 more hp, maybe another 100. 150 or more is possible with my setup, I just don't want that much.

Also remember that as I have low standards you also have very high standards. You basically like track-oriented equipment and consider anything else mushy. E.g. I'm sure you would hate driving my mercedes, but I think it's a joy to drive.

I agree that brakes, tires, and suspension, in that order, are the most important parts of any vehicle. When I bought my turbo parts I thought my suspension was OK.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:14 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chris luckett
You are best off putting your money into the suspension and tires first to build a solid car BEFORE you think about a turbo. That much power on your platform in it's current state is like strapping a rocket onto your back while wearing roller skates.
I have to agree with Chris here. You need to sort your suspension and brakes out before you add any more power to the car.
Raj
Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well....... the turbo is scheduled to start in June..... and I'm about to buy Konis now....... so what's the issue.

And my brakes have always been fine. Tires are fine too now.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Sorry to gang up on you but, they are very right. My dad learned this the hard way back in 73'. He bought a 71' 911T targa, rebored and stroked the engine added webbers and ended up with 220hp. (which was more than the RS at the time) He then discovered during his track times a Lime Rock that the brakes didn't stop him and the front end lifted on accelleration. After all the money he spent making his car faster he didn't spend any on keeping it on the road.

Sum of the story, the europeans upgrade the handling first.
Americans upgrade the power first.
How many 5.0 Mustangs do you see spinning out and being involved in accidents? I have personally seen 3 within the last 3 years.
I can't see new shocks being that expensive but I personally would upgrade the brakes first. Save up if you have to.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well....... the turbo is scheduled to start in June..... and I'm about to buy Konis now....... so what's the issue.

Arash, please don't take this the wrong way. The only reason any of us are pointing this out is because we care. Last thing we want is a mishap.
Raj
Old 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

What tires did you end up getting?

You're too smart to be skimping on important parts of the car out of frugality. You sometimes loose sight of the performance of the car as a whole and focus on smaller subsystems. These cars are fast enough to hurt people as evidenced by Lord Galva's situation. None of us here, especially me, want you to be the next one in the hospital because you are being cheap. This is serious **** we are talking about, not some little game. That's the issue!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:03 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm not getting upset, just confused. Or maybe a little impatient because I'm not being clear.

I agree with all of you, even before all this happened. Suspension is important. Handling before power. That's why I own a Porsche not a v8 truck.

I appreciate everyone's caring and concern, it is invaluable. But I think everyone is just making a bigger deal out of it than it is. It's not like I'm about to jump off a building. I'm not stupid. I'm here posting because I already know I need new shocks, and I just realized I need to buy them ASAP, so I wanted help finding the best ones to buy. You guys are telling me to buy shocks but I've already made that decision.

And the whole turbo project is aggravating the situation. I will start another thread about my turbo project and we can all talk about what I should do to the car for the extra 80-90hp. IN 4 MONTHS.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Or maybe a little impatient because I'm not being clear.

I agree with all of you, even before all this happened. Suspension is important. Handling before power.

You're being perfectly clear, but I don't think you are understanding my point.

You have neglected getting new shocks after I've told you on multiple occasions over the past couple of years that your shocks are shot. The reason that prompted you to get new shocks is not safety or performance, but rather fear of damaging other parts that will cost you more money.

BTW, I've driven trucks that have had better suspension control than you're car. I'll quit giving you a hard time now, but frankly I'm quite astonished as to your approach to your car and your justifications for it.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just forget it.

Quick Reply: Suspension time