968 Forum 1992-1995

Powerhaus Turbo S still for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Powerhaus Turbo S still for sale

www.parcars.com still has John M's Powerhaus conversion for sale on their website. Wonder if he hasn't updated the web page or it's still kicking around. I know he does a lot of consignments so it's not his inventory $$ being tied up.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want my new 968 to look like that minus the turbo.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is awesome!

why minus the turbo?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

The cost.
It would cost me less to buy:
~15k 968
2k Speedline rims
.3k Front spoiler
.5k Rear spoiler

I get the same look for half the price. And the look is what I want, not the power.
Now if I had 30k to spend I would buy it.
Right now I just want to drive stick.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
gocallahan
2nd Gear

Says it was was in magazine? Anyone have the article? Anyone know the story behind this car? Also, if you had a choice and funds, who would you have build you this car, KMS in Florida or Powerhaus in AZ?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I inquired about this car over a year ago. They were asking $27K for it then. When I asked for details on the car they faxed me a spec list - the exact spec list for my 968 Turbo that was published in Excellence magazine. (ie: "Motec Engine Management, built by Kelly Moss Racing, etc.") So I phoned the sales guy and asked what model of Motec it had - he didn't know. Then I asked for more details and he couldn't give any other than to say that was all that he had on file. So I phoned KMR and asked if they built another 968 Turbo in addition to the yellow one. They said they built a red race car but not a purple street car. Turns out the sales guy for PAR was full of **** and didn't know jack about what he was selling. I'm not surprised the car is still there after 2 years. Over the last 2 years I've seen the price go from $27K to $35K and now back down to $29K. I was seriously interested when it was priced at $27k but talking with knowledgeable people it appears that the car has or had "issues". Definately would need a good PPI done - especially since the car lot sales people don't seem to be knowledgeable of what they have or if they do know what they have they then aren't the most honorable in telling exactly what is going on with the car. On the bright side, they now seem to know who built the car. Wonder if they have figured out any of the other details yet.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
Speaking of which, how's yours? I don't need details but just a thumbs up or down will do.

I like tinted hatches but they're so hard to do, and I hate the way they look when they start bubbling off.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

If by "stick" you mean the reason I saw a Urologist yesterday. It's doing great.
BTW Driving is getting easier, but I need my right foot to hit the brake. Currently my left is. Technically I could drive stick right now, but I would have to shift into neutral before I hit the brake. This is a no, no. Its just to dangerous right now.

Also the bubbling from tinting means that it was a cheap tinting job. My bro's 93' van has factory tint and its fine. A friend of mine who tints uses this real expensive stuff that lasts forever.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Excellence article talked about the Powerhaus build; the KMR was a totally different car. As I remember the owner bought it with a blown engine, then had Powerhaus do the work. Bad hatch seal comes to mind too; I saw the car a couple of times over the years.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

The cost.
It would cost me less to buy:
~15k 968
2k Speedline rims
.3k Front spoiler
.5k Rear spoiler

I get the same look for half the price. And the look is what I want, not the power.
Now if I had 30k to spend I would buy it.
Rich, where are you getting these numbers from. Let me correct a few of these.
~15K 968
6K speedline
.525 front spoiler
1.3k for rear spoiler
This car is not just about looks. It runs well but didn't do so wel on the PPI. I have personally driven the car so its based on 1st hand experience.
Raj
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Anyone who buys this car should have an additional $5k handy to sort out some of the issues. They might pop up or it could run for a while as is. The PPI showed numbers all over the place between the cylinders. Looks like the rings didn't seat well across the board.
Raj
Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yikes... that's a problem.

Yikes... those are high prices for look-good parts.

Rich, factory tint is different - the glass itself contains pigment. Aftermarket tint is the stick-on film. I need to find a guy that does primo work with the aftermarket film and get my hatch tinted. Red cars are just begging for a darker hatch glass.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Wow. Speedlines are 6k?
Arash, my friend uses this film with ink on it. He carefully puts the film on the window, lets it sit, then removes. (at least I think, I could be wrong)
Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Wow. Speedlines are 6k?
That is if you can find a set. Most times you have to wait as much as a year to get a set.
Raj
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Next time you see your friend, find out how he does it and let me know, I'm interested in getting it tinted

Quick Reply: Powerhaus Turbo S still for sale