968 Forum 1992-1995

Valvetrain Inspection

Old 01-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvetrain Inspection

Good Afternoon,

I am going to be working on my new-to-me 968 tomorrow, changing out some suspension and steering rack bushings. While I am at it I want to take a look at the Variocam and inspect the pads that I hear so much about. Can anyone point me to a diagram or DIY that explains what to look for and how?
Also, is there any inherent danger in removing the valve cover? Is there a gasket too that I need to worry about?

No time to search at work, so I apologize if this has been discussed ad-nauseum...

Cheers
Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

GD, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to document it even though i have done the procedure over a dozen times.
The calve cover removal requires disconnecting the fuel lines and the variocam solenoid connector.
Its held together by a bunch of m5 cheeseheads. Your best bet to buy a set of cheesehead socket. I picked up a set for $30 from sears.
You will also need to remove the vanity cover which is held my m4 cheeseheads so a set od cheeseheads is critical for this.
What you want to look for is pitting and wear on the tensioner pad. Also, if the pad has extensive amounts of discoloration, it is getting old. I usually recommend this has a maintainence item every 60K. The cam chain stretches over time and causes the cam teeth to get chewed. A pad with pitting/grooves helps in this chain stretch. If your car has over 60K and is still on its original chain and tensioner pad, I suggest you swap them. Chain/pad failures causes serious damage to the engine. The job can easily top $5k if done by a shop. Valvetrain components are expensive its its cheap insurance.
Let us know if you have any further questions.
Raj
Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The valve cover bolts and vanity cover bolts are allen, not cheesehead. Go buy yourself the MOST EXPENSIVE set of cheesehead sockets you can find. Either Snap-On, S-K, or some other high-end brand. Also buy yourself a very nice drill bit and magnet.

Here's a pic of a worn out cam pad (from when I bought my car). Please forgive all those napkin fibers.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The valve cover bolts and vanity cover bolts are allen, not cheesehead. Go buy yourself the MOST EXPENSIVE set of cheesehead sockets you can find. Either Snap-On, S-K, or some other high-end brand. Also buy yourself a very nice drill bit and magnet.

Here's a pic of a worn out cam pad (from when I bought my car). Please forgive all those napkin fibers.

Dammmmm. Those are worn out.
Now the new ones don't come with any grooves right?
Also aren't cheesehead's the same shape as allen but don't wear out your fingers.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
Also aren't cheesehead's the same shape as allen but don't wear out your fingers.
Huh?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Porsche calls allen cheeseheads. PET and other Porsche literature constantly calls allen cheeseheads.
Like I said, Sears sells a set that goes from 4mm to 8mm or 9mm.

Raj
Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback, but I am confused, can I use Allen wrenches for this project?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Yes you can, but the bolts that hold the valve cover are extremely soft and break very quickly. You want to get equal torque on them and with socket the torque will be shared evenly across.
Its too easy to strip the head if you use allen keys.
Also, each bolt is over $20 so you dont want to break any.
Raj
Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Gentleman Driver
Instructor

OK, I cannot find the tool when searching the internet or Snap-on and S-K websites, except for the few mentions regarding Porsche maintenance. My local mechanic said we can take a peak for $40, and since that is about the price of the tools themselves, I will most likely just do that. This is also more than likely outside of my abilities to fix if indeed they are worn...

Thanks again Gents.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

If you do want to change the pads, all the belts and cams need to come off. I might have some pic somewhere...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris luckett
If you do want to change the pads, all the belts and cams need to come off. I might have some pic somewhere...
Chris - would love to see pics.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:50 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

more pics here but the focus is off.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i6.../968/variocam/
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GD,
Here you go.
http://www.968forums.com/index.php?showtopic=7

Dont get confused between Ellen and Cheesehead bolts. Cheeseheads are also known as triple square. They are 12 point and Allen head is 6 point. There is also the more common bolt head known as a Torx bit which looks similar to the Cheesehead but has eight points ( I think this right)

When doing a search for the wrenches use the term tripe square. I bought the set from S K and they have been good. If you are removing the cams for chaiin and pad service you will need the triple square sockets.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Torx are 6 head.
Raj

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valvetrain Inspection