Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Should I be offended or flattered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Should I be offended or flattered?

I was surfing the other day and found this:

http://www.americaninternationalraci...alleryid=25663

They are using numerous pictures of my car to promote their products. I don't even know for sure if the fenders on my car were made by them. My understanding from the Excellence article is they were a one off item made for Kelly Moss Racing.

For some reason them flogging my car to promote their products doesn't sit well with me. Do you guys think I have a right to be upset enough to consider asking them to remove all pictures of my car from their site? Or should I be flattered that they chose to showcase my car?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:36 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who cares unless you're a competing business w/ $ at stake...
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be nice if they gave you a mention, though...

God forbid, they might have asked you!

Jason
Old 01-20-2008, 01:49 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you take those pics? If they do not have permission of the photographer then it's a copyright violation.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
My understanding from the Excellence article is they were a one off item made for Kelly Moss Racing.
Ask Kelly Moss. Maybe Kelly Moss sold the molds to AIR?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps they were taken and given to AIR before your purchase. Than I would think you have no recourse.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For some reason them flogging my car to promote their products doesn't sit well with me. Do you guys think I have a right to be upset enough to consider asking them to remove all pictures of my car from their site?
You're being a douchebag.

Owning the car does not give you any rights to the photo, nor did you even own the car when the photo was originally taken.

Frankly, I would be excited to have my car on any website!!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
You're being a douchebag.

Owning the car does not give you any rights to the photo, nor did you even own the car when the photo was originally taken.

Frankly, I would be excited to have my car on any website!!
+1
Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It depends on your personality! Personally I get offended but in a perfect wonderful world you should be flattered. But in a perfect world they would have asked you before using the pics. Maybe they don't know you? Or how to contact you? Just send them a nice email saying it's your car. Either ask them to kindly remove the pics, or ask to be mentioned/credited.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, Erik, I would LOVE to see that car again soon. Would you be able to come down to Kamloops this summer (Aug 15/16/17) for the Canada West Weekend?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
BTW, Erik, I would LOVE to see that car again soon. Would you be able to come down to Kamloops this summer (Aug 15/16/17) for the Canada West Weekend?
Possibly but it depends upon my schedule. I'm involved with a cancer charity that does a ride to Philadelphia in August. I'm already committed to that so there may be a conflict.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Solo, make sure you let me know when you will be in Philly. We will get together and you can check my turbo out while I check yours.
I am only 45 mins from Philly.
I think Jeff Stone was selling the original molds from the wide body package a few yrs back. So, from what I am saying, there were mold which were used to make the parts from. Chances are, the molds were sold.
Raj
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
Who cares unless you're a competing business w/ $ at stake...
Before you flippantly disregard any reasons for being offended try and think of it this way:

You just purchased a unique one of a kind car that is well known in certain circles and paid a significant amount for the car because of it's quality and it's notoriety. Then one day you see a company flogging cheap, poor fitting and low quality parts showing your car as an example of what they look like - implying that your car utilizes the exact same parts. So let's say someone orders these parts finds out they are of poor quality (fit poorly, break easily, etc.) He might be inclined to think that the car in the pictures must also be a POS if the quality of the products it's being used to market are substandard. It would be no different in my eyes if someone used the picture of the car to promote something that I don't support - say something like Nazism, etc. I would be guilty by association. In this case the vendors are hoping to capitalize on the car's press coverage while at the same time potentially damaging the reputation of the quality of the car. It's important to note that the car is unique - there isn't another like it - and as such is easily identified. It's not like they selected a generic picture of a 968 that couldn't be identified with any amount of certainty.

I've purchased two front splitters for my 951 from AIR and while they shipped them quickly I have to say the fit was not great (one of them was at least 1/2 inch too short on the wheel well side) and both of them shattered at even the slightest scuffing of a speed bump. Hardly the quality product that I would promote to others no matter how good it looks.

It's my opinion that if they intend to promote their products they should show pictures of cars using their products - not pictures of cars that they were trying to imitate. So I think I will be a "douchebag" as it was so crudely stated and ask them to clarify if the fenders on my car were in fact from them (something that KMR clearly does not indicate in the Excellence article) and if they were not that they should remove the pictures.

Last edited by SoloRacer; 01-21-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha, join the club! Apparently they can not take their own pictures. This is a picture taken by me of my car in my driveway and it is a factory splitter not theirs. It doesn't really bother me other than it is not exactly what they are selling.

http://www.americaninternationalraci...alleryid=26821
Old 01-21-2008, 01:21 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Solo, make sure you let me know when you will be in Philly. We will get together and you can check my turbo out while I check yours.
I am only 45 mins from Philly.
I think Jeff Stone was selling the original molds from the wide body package a few yrs back. So, from what I am saying, there were mold which were used to make the parts from. Chances are, the molds were sold.
Raj
Raj,

I would love to get together but I won't have my car with me. I'm part of a group of cyclists who are pedaling our way from Calgary to Philadelphia. I previously rode my bike from Calgary to Austin Texas for this same charity. We time it so that we arrive to take part in the Lance Armstrong charity ride in the destination city. This year I'm volunteering as part of the support staff which means no riding the bike but plenty of hours driving the chase vehicle and providing care to the riders. There are 5 teams of 6 riders who take 6 hour shifts riding (one team out at a time - all six riders together in a peloton). Riding this way there is a team on the road 24 hours a day and they cover 600 km a day. Driving the support vehicle may not sound that tough but imagine going 4000 km at 30 km per hour and you can get an idea of how difficult it can be.

Once in the destination city we fly down a group of cancer patients who are in treatment who we call "Warriors" and we get the to participate in the LAF event in whatever capacity they are able. We also have things scheduled for them and their families while in the host city. The concept is to give them a few days off the drudgery that is cancer treatment. Each rider had to sign fundraising personal gaurantee of $10,000 to take part in the ride - if they don't exceed $10K they make up the difference themselves. Last year we raised $500,000 for the charity.

So if I get some time to scoot off and meet you I would definately want to do that. Your car sounds awesome and from what I've read here you are a person of quality that it would be a pleasure to meet face to face.

Quick Reply: Should I be offended or flattered?