Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995
View Poll Results: How much 968 maintenance do you perform?
Someone else does all the work on my car
12.12%
I change oil, check and replace fluids, wiper blades, etc.
15.15%
I can replace exhaust, alternators, PS pumps, stuff like that
21.21%
I can replace timing belts, rollers, front main seals, etc.
15.15%
I've done "deep" repairs on trans, clutch, valves, heads, etc.
36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Do you perform your own 968 maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not had the courage to venture much beyond replacing side rocker panels, fuel level sender, oil changes, and basic maintenance. I did change my thermostat / housing / gaskets and brake pads. I'd like to change my suspension bushings but I get the impression that is a task best left to those who know ahead of time what needs to be done. I also have a fresh set of Conti timing belts and cogs ready to install but I've never done it before and have no manual to guide me. I have a website describing the procedure bookmarked, but I'll need a few cold Molson products in me before I tackle that one. But I do respect you guys who can do all your own engine mods & rebuilds.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Stew, go for it. Help is only a phone call away.
Raj
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StewHatch
I'd like to change my suspension bushings but I get the impression that is a task best left to those who know ahead of time what needs to be done.
Good preparation is aways the best approach. Study what needs to be done and get the torque specs ready so you aren't always stopping to read or looking around for something. It keeps you focused and less prone to making errors.

Once you understand what needs to be done, it's almost like you've already done it before.

Originally Posted by StewHatch
I also have a fresh set of Conti timing belts and cogs ready to install but I've never done it before and have no manual to guide me.
PM me for a manual.

If you're unsure of your ability to do it, it's always good to have an experienced mechanic looking over your shoulder to help guide the way and make sure you don't make a bonehead mistake.

Where is your location? I'm sure there is someone close by that could help.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Some of the more complex 968 work requires specialized tools or gauges.....and a comfortable garage....and time. Finding adequate time is the most difficult for me.

Perhaps I need another car to "build" at my leisure while I'm driving another? Installing a turbo, for me, would be a major piece of work since I suspect that a lot of customizing/improving/special fitting on-the-fly is required.

I know that on the 928 (for which I have more experience) the installation of a supercharger is relatively easy....although the early kits had problems and the newer kits aren't as complex but still challenging. Many of the bugs are getting worked out. Installation can cost about $6K for the kit and a few days to a week's work for the installation...then tweeking and tuning for quite a while, often requiring burning new "brain" chips, flow testing, mapping, finding space for an effective intercooler, etc.

Because of the tighter space under the hood of the 968 and the lack of a quality, pre-prepared "kit", I suspect that a turbo install would be significantly more difficult on the 968. Because of the small numbers of our cars, I'm not sure that it's worth the while of a company to produce a 968 turbo kit.

That said, I suspect that there are few of us who don't dream of someday having a turbo'ed 968....then we'd pretty well have the best of all worlds in a true supercar.

H2
Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a 968 turbo kit... it's called a 951 parts car

Well the truth is, any engine modification agenda can be done in an infinite number of ways - it's all up to your imagination and bank account. Usually we go with the easiest and cheapest way. The 928 seems to lend itself well to supercharging, but only because many skilled craftsmen have put together some well-made kits. The 968 supercharger kit costs about the same as the 928 kit, but it has less of a customer base and therefore hasn't had the returns to justify or support further development and evolution. I hear it's a great kit nonetheless.

In the Porsche world, since there is always a factory turbo available, there seem to be no turbo kits made in mass quantity. The typical Porsche customer can usually afford to buy a turbo model, and if they can't, they buy an NA, and probably don't want to spend the bucks for a turbo kit, so there's virtually no demand for turbo kits. The exception here is the 928 which as said above has such a good supercharger available, the need for turbo is satisfied with that.

Add to this that turbo usually has much more potential for power than superchargers. Superchargers can easily be made into kits because they require no exhaust modifications, and more importantly, produce low levels of boost which don't require bottom-end work. Turbos can be done the same way, but because they have the potential, people often cannot settle on supercharger-levels of power, and dive straight into the deep end, wanting big boost and therefore necessitating bottom-end work. Suddenly a quick swap of manifolds and the addition of oil lines for a small dry turbo becomes a complete engine rebuild. At this point they either confess they were after big power all along, or they give up and run away. A low-potential turbo kit could be made, but it would have few advantages over a supercharger, and would require more work. It might be cheaper though.

The 968 is hard to judge when it comes to what works, what doesn't, and what there's enough demand for. Even if a high percentage of us were willing to patronize a turbo kit, it still isn't enough in absolute numbers, because the car is so rare. On the other hand, for those of us dedicated enough to want it badly enough, and/or those who have mechanical skills, it is quite clear and seemingly easy to adapt 951 parts to convert the car. But then suddenly the complications become apparent and it's not really a kit, it's a project.

Mikes3.0cabturbo did a good turbo conversion, and I think if we wanted to make a kit, it should mimic his setup. He just dialed the boost too high

I wish the SFR supercharger kit was a couple grand cheaper.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

I do all of the work on mine and would not trust it to anyone else. Shame you can only pick one option on the list as I have done many others on the other options.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 PM
cdtscout
Intermediate

Like many who have responded...I do as much as I can myself: I take the time and effort to do the job to the best of my ability with quality parts.

The last time I had my 968 in for a simple, yet expensive, alignment ($200)...I found my steering shaft knuckle bolt as loose as it could be without falling out.

The information and dedicated enthusiasts on this board/forum are simply invaluable to me as I enjoy the journey ...and adventure... of my 968.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Dang. I really do miss working on "under" my car listening to Offspring and Iron Maiden. After I get more mobile, if anyone needs a hand I'll be willing to help with DIY projects.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

So far I've done everything myself exept for alignments. I've transplanted a 968 engine and wiring into my 924S trackcar. I've not done the top end on any of my three 968 motors as they are all still good, but have done all the seals and gaskets, replaced rod bearings, and routinely do belts and such.

One of the best tools that I've ever purchased was a scissors lift for my garage, makes life a lot easier I'm also enjoying my MIG welder that the wife got me for Christmas
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

I love working on "P" cars for the most part. The Germans tend to over engineer things though. We end up with so many specialty tools for the cars that we can't afford to drive a different brand. I have the 944S up on stands and the 968 on the lift as we speak. I wish I could find the source of my oil leak on the 968. Could be the dreaded pan gasket.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
Dang. I really do miss working on "under" my car listening to Offspring and Iron Maiden. After I get more mobile, if anyone needs a hand I'll be willing to help with DIY projects.
I look forward to seeing you hoppin' around with a wrench in one hand and a root beer in the other.

But it's gotta be Hendrix and ZZ top. There's nothing like trying to do a repair that gets you stuck and stumped, while singing along to "Manic Depression".

Quick Reply: Do you perform your own 968 maintenance?