968 Forum 1992-1995

Re-Visit _ _ _ Import from UK? 968 CS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Visit _ _ _ Import from UK? 968 CS

A few weeks back I asked the question about Importing from the UK? : https://rennlist.com/forums/968-forum/397962-import-from-uk-968-cs.html

There is a 968CS that could have been bought for $14,000. USD, the UK has a mix of LHD and RHD cars.

With regards to importing a uk 968. I suspect that if the car have the proper brace's in the door, USA dme chip, and a catalytic converter, they would pass the DOT. Air bags are not a fed requirement. If I'm not mistaken Porsche was one of the first to make ROW cars meet USA emission standards which is why this might now be possible, where as in the past it would have been cost prohibited.

We might find that its only a few off the shelf parts to import them. Would anybody want to help in the research.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:16 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I know you will definitely need to change the speedo. Possibly the dme/dme chip.
Probably add bumperettes (yuck!). I know that if you can get Porsche NA to verify that it was built to NA spec, it would go a long way.
Raj
Old 01-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by waynelambright
We might find that its only a few off the shelf parts to import them. Would anybody want to help in the research.
That would be great, and I would love to help locating nice examples and sending them your way.

Yet it's always been my impression that that the federalization process carries some pretty stiff fees that are inevitable?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

To americanize it you will also need a nav unit, a couple of dvd players and 5 cup holders, Venti-sized.

Seriously I don't know much that others here don't but I'll offer whatever help I can give. If you do get it, we gotta hang out. I'm in san francisco every 3 weeks and every break from school. Well even if you don't get it we should hang out.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:51 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the glass made to US spec? How about lighting requirements?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokiemon944
Is the glass made to US spec? How about lighting requirements?
Same SEKURIT glass and the lighting is easily converted to the US spec yellow front parking lights.

Quick Reply: Re-Visit _ _ _ Import from UK? 968 CS