Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Which 968 should I turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:06 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Arash, what you are forgetting is the klr setup on the 951 harness. That is a very nice thing to have. The other thing is, here you are talking about doing a 951 clutch setup, how will your triggers work if you use a 951 flywheel with a 968 harness. It won't work. One uses seperate triggers for speed and reference and the other uses 1 trigger. Also, where will you get the hall sender effect from if you run a 8 valve head with a 968 harness?
Too many mismatches. You need to stick to one setup and plan accordingly. For what you were looking for, a low boost 16 valve setip would have been the easist way to do it. I understand that you have to pass visual, which makes it understandable you wanting to do an 8 valve.
Raj
Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

The 968 wiring is smarter than you think and incorporates the variocam, A/C, and alarm system! If you use an 8 valve head, lower compression, different air flow meter, all 951 exhaust and intake there is no way your going to have the thing run right especially under boost. It has been done but so much tuning and several different piggybacks and fooling the stock DME. You will need something to control the timing under boost, something to control the cycling valve, someone or something to change the default settings in the 968 computer to not trip a fault! Not to mention it will never be up to the Porsche standards you and I like these cars for! If you just copy what the factory did its much easier and you can have a very sensible $$$ built car that runs great and fast! Im not trying to descourage you just trying to make you understand the simplicity of it all, dont try and reinvent the wheel here!!! Porsche had a 944 based turbo engined car under the engineering program way back in 1982 so let them do the work!
Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm all for KISS so I will heed the advice here, for sure. I'm not looking to do something stupidly comlicated for any reason at all so I'm trying to figure out what is possible, easy, cost effective and what will work well.

I have not decided which flywheel setup I will use. The 951 setup is sort of like a daydream... it will be so light and the engine will rev so quick... but in reality I really don't want to swap TTs. For me the benefit exactly balances the detriment. So I'm going to let my choice of computer dictate my choice of flywheel. I figured all-in-all, keeping the 968 computer would let me keep the fw and TT so it "should" be easier. Maybe not!

I suppose the consensus is 8v head = 951 computers, 16v head = 968 computers. What about a stand-alone EMS?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:09 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is pretty easy to R&R the torque tube.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you also need to make sure you don't go too light on the flywheel. Porsche used vibration dampers on everything 3.0 except for cars running DMF. You think they like to add weight to their cars?
Some to think about...
Raj

Quick Reply: Which 968 should I turbo?