968 Forum 1992-1995

968 turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 968 turn signal switch

...coming into work this morning my turn signal switch gave up. It will switch down to signal left, but then won't return on staightening the wheel. It won't switch up at all.

anyone out there had this happen - simple remedy etc? or do I need a new switch?

was working perectly before today.

thanks... will look it over tonight.

'94 968, 120K miles, daily driver
Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Steve had this problem and adjusting the signal column fixed it. Hopefully, he will chime in with more details.
Raj
Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The switchgear assembly is fairly brittle and prone to failures of this type - like so much of the plastic on a 15 year old car. Best bet usually is to replace it. The assembly has a 928 part number as I recall and there are different numbers based on interior color.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine went on my old coupe, same symptom. Adjustment didn't work, it was replaced.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys... after running a search I'm finding it's not that uncommon for the combination switch to fail after a while. Looks like new ones are around $200 - but think I may look for a used one.

Next challenge will be disassembling the steering wheel etc to get to it. Does anyone know if there are any special considerations for the air bag? I think I read somewhere about disconnecting the battery... is that precaution or a necessity? Any help would be appreciated....
Old 06-13-2007, 01:25 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Try DcAuto for a used. I know they have them in stock and you can see their inventory by part number online. Good guys to do business with.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brianh
Thanks guys... after running a search I'm finding it's not that uncommon for the combination switch to fail after a while. Looks like new ones are around $200 - but think I may look for a used one.

Next challenge will be disassembling the steering wheel etc to get to it. Does anyone know if there are any special considerations for the air bag? I think I read somewhere about disconnecting the battery... is that precaution or a necessity? Any help would be appreciated....
It is a necessity. You want to give atleast 30 mins after you have disconnected the battery before you start to remove the airbag.
You will need some phillips screwdriver and a torx socket set. The steering wheel should be held down by a 22mm nut which requires a socket as well.
Be very careful when removing plastic as its brittle and easy to break.

Raj
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The steering wheel is a 24mm nut, you will need an extension to get to it. I replaced mine because the cruise stalk had broken off my old one-and had to adjust it forward to get the signals to cancel. The mechanism is fairly fragile, so it is easy to break it. have you tried Sunset? I replaced one on my old cab and I think it was closer to $150 through them. Good luck!

Steve
Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Thanks gang - for all the inputs.
I ordered a used on on e-bay from Oklahoma Foreign ($75 incl shipping)

I guess when it rains it pours... I opened the glove box today and wouldn't you know, the plastic hooks on the side broke off leaving the door dangling. All this plastic is giving up on me at the same time. What's next I wonder?

The door hooks are an easy fix - think paragon has metal replacements. Maybe I could just make a set hmmm...

Quick Reply: 968 turn signal switch