968 Forum 1992-1995

16 valve engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 16 valve engine upgrade

I am new to this site have a 944S2 cab and an 89 turboS track car. Wanted to give the S2 a power upgrade it's an ultra clean car used only on the street.

Have seen a few V8 conversion that look pretty professional, have been told weight is not an issue, maintenance costs reduced etc.

Could this effect the front end, steering feel etc?

Second option is Powerhaus, a lot more expensive almost double the cost and more complex but also somewhat more original. I would imagine more of a sudden power surge? I read somewhere about someone breaking the tires loose at 100mph which I would imagine is not good?

Thanks for any possible input.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

There a lot more options besides Powerhaus. Grant Thrall did his turbo conversion at Heritage Motorcars in FL. The conversion is top notch. Powerhaus does a good job with their conversions as well.
Tom Egan has done one of those V8 conversions. Hopefully he will chime in soon.
Raj
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
rop3
Pro

Thanks Raj,

Would you have any info on the other companies doing turbo's or anyone on the site that runs a V8.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Yes I do, drop me an IM and I would be happy to discuss some of the options available. Also, its always a good idea to speak to people like Miles Singerm (Powerhaus) and Grant Thrall (HMR) to get their prespective on thier conversions.
Also to note, there is supercharging available for our cars as well. I will try to dig and see if I can find Tom Egan's contact information. His brother Pat Egan is from NYC and is a very active participant in PCA events. I think his brothers is selling some parts in the classified section. You might want to contact him.
Regards.
Raj
Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 PM
rop3
Pro

Okay thanks,

I have spoken to PH I think it was Dave, the full conversion is 25k lots of power. But my concern is maintenance issues don't have any references on this one they seem really professional but it would be good to speak with a few car owners.

Thought I saw some posts on the board about the famous blue 968 compression etc. are these things common?

Also read a quote about the tires breaking loose in every gear, of course driving skill comes into play. But is the combination two much power/torque surge making the car not that driveable? If you see my other post the V8 jobs I have seen are clean just do not know the drawbacks.

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Yes I do, drop me an IM and I would be happy to discuss some of the options available. Also, its always a good idea to speak to people like Miles Singerm (Powerhaus) and Grant Thrall (HMR) to get their prespective on thier conversions.
Also to note, there is supercharging available for our cars as well. I will try to dig and see if I can find Tom Egan's contact information. His brother Pat Egan is from NYC and is a very active participant in PCA events. I think his brothers is selling some parts in the classified section. You might want to contact him.
Regards.
Raj
Old 05-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I don't know if the tires break loose in every gear, as I was too scared after they broke loose in 3rd going around 90mph. You really have to be trying to do this. On the road as well as on the track the car is really driveable. I also recommend driving lessions to get the most out of it. 4 years and one body/car later, I'm still learning how to drive the beast. Also the quote from PH at 25k is probably just for the engine. If you want/need upgraded suspension and brakes the price goes up and up
Old 05-31-2007, 09:16 AM
rop3
Pro

Thanks Miles,

So your really happy with the conversion, have you had any reliability issues with the engine? Does the car have a lot more low end power now? You can still power it thru turns etc?

Originally Posted by Miles968
I don't know if the tires break loose in every gear, as I was too scared after they broke loose in 3rd going around 90mph. You really have to be trying to do this. On the road as well as on the track the car is really driveable. I also recommend driving lessions to get the most out of it. 4 years and one body/car later, I'm still learning how to drive the beast. Also the quote from PH at 25k is probably just for the engine. If you want/need upgraded suspension and brakes the price goes up and up
Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
There a lot more options besides Powerhaus. Grant Thrall did his turbo conversion at Heritage Motorcars in FL. The conversion is top notch. Powerhaus does a good job with their conversions as well.
Tom Egan has done one of those V8 conversions. Hopefully he will chime in soon.
Raj
Thanks Raj.

I am very very pleased with Heritage's work on my 968. I drive my 968. It is not a garage queen. I had put about 100K miles on my 968 since I purchased it in 1994. I chose not to restore it. Instead, I chose to renovate it, and update to current technology. That includes engine blueprinting, turbo, intercooler, Heritage radiator, upgraded suspension all around, big reds, LSD. And if you are paying for all that, you should have it looking good to, so there is paint and bodywork to consider. So it not an inexpensive proposition.

Here is a link to the Dynapack output on my 968 turbo. The numbers reported by the Dynapack software on the left graph vertical axis are to be divided by the gear ratio 4.197 to equate to numbers that would be reported if using the DynoJet.

Below are two photos of Heritage Motorcar displaying my 968 Turbo at the 2006 Performance Raching Industry show held in Orlando FL. Heritage shared floorspace with Dynapack.

Grant
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car Grant with excellent Dyno sheets, Congrats. I am really jealous as my car is still in pieces and driving season is upon us.

rop3: My car has been extremely reliable as a daily driver. I have had no repairs except for routine maintance. It has tremendous low end power thru the corners with little turbo lag
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Grant,
I just noticed that your car's nose opening has been enlarged but it's difficult to see in these pictures if you have any type of "grill" in it. Please let me know if it is wide open or if you have some sort of grill in it
Thanks
Miles
PS Raj do you have anything in yours?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Miles, mine is open and is the original turbo S bumper cover and duct work which leads to the intercooler.
Raj
Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Looks like I'll be leaving mine open too, but a little concerned about keeping bugs and crud out of the intercooler

Last edited by Miles968; 05-31-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:38 AM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miles968
Looks like I'll be leaving mine open too, but a little concerned about keeping bugs and crud out of the intercooler
Miles, both upper and lower openings have a screen mesh painted black. The lower is bonded around the perimeter to the body work adding structural rigidity for the lower lip. I had the center cross bar removed from the lower opening, and I had the upper opening enlarged to match the height of the openings on the left and right.

Is that your car in the photo above!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Miles,

Forced Air Induction?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

Glad you're moving along on the newer model!

Jason
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Jason, glad you joined the thread. I completely forgot about your conversion, I apologize.
Jason would also be a good resource to find out about his conversion. Even though his is a pure race car, I am sure something similar could be done for a street application. Also, his work was done local in NY area.
Raj

Quick Reply: 16 valve engine upgrade