968 Forum 1992-1995

Frankencar update

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Frankencar update

I spent last weekend at Roebling Road with NASA running time trials in TTB. Prior to going I refreshed my spare 968 engine and installed it. At the same time I decided to lower the engine 1cm by going with the Lindsey Racing solid motor mounts; I also installed a new S2 harmonic damper. The vibration was very tolerable and I think I'll continue to run it this way. No problem with my spare engine on it's maiden run this weekend.

As for results, I won TTB by around 2 seconds on Saturday running a 1:22.5. On Sunday I beat that run with a 1:22.06. Not bad considering I was running a very used set of RA1's (9 full track days prior to Saturday). Not sure if i won on Sunday or not since I left early and there was one more TT run session, but I'm guessing I did: awaiting the scores on mylaps.com.

No video to share as my video cam crapped out on my on Friday, guess it's time to get another
Old 05-21-2007, 12:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Tim, awesome result. Congrats on the win.
Raj
Old 05-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's just incredible that you make it sound so easy just to drop a spare engine in and continue on your way. Can you call my mechanic and let him in on your secret? LOL

Congrats!

Miles
still wishing I had my car with new engine installed
scratch that: old engine installed in my newly obtained 968
Old 05-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say Miles what is wrong with your car? I think I missed the post on that.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Miles968
I think it's just incredible that you make it sound so easy just to drop a spare engine in and continue on your way. Can you call my mechanic and let him in on your secret? LOL

Congrats!

Miles
still wishing I had my car with new engine installed
scratch that: old engine installed in my newly obtained 968
It's easier than you think says the non-mechanic. It does consume a bunch of space in your garage and your spare time. Best part is that it's easier on your wallet Another perk is that my car is parked right next to my garage beer fridge
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually that makes sense. It seem's after the first time I fix anything in my car the initial attempt seems impossible, and when it's done its a piece of cake. Good for you Lemming.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

I crashed my car last summer at a local DE event. So I bought another one just like it and spent much of the winter transfer part from the crashed one to the replacement. I took it to the shop in April to have my turbo engine placed in the newer car and it is taken for ever to finish. My mechanic is great when he is actually working on my car,but keeps getting distracted onto other projects and my car waits and waits until I'm about to pull my hair out.
Some details: http://www.968forums.com/index.php?showtopic=2906&st=20
http://www.968forums.com/index.php?showtopic=3840
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=miles968
Regards,
Miles
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

You'll just have to fly Tim up to Michigan.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

At the rate my project is progressing, it may just well be easier to fly Tim to Michigan and probably cheaper too
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the TTB win Tim. Having turned many a lap at Roebling myself, I can appreciate that a low 1:22 is an excellent time for your Frankencar.

Cheers,
Mike Dayton
'95 968 M030 Coupe
'91 944 S2 Coupe
Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I heard a saying the other day...."Wanta make a small fortune in racing? Well, first you start with a LARGE fortune." A guy I work with races Formula Atlantics and it's not cheap no matter how you cut it. He has lots of trophies but his greatest satisfaction is beating the guys who show up with a large Semi trailer with living quarters and a 6 man crew and a Ferrari. Takes more than money.

Hang in there Tim and we wish you the greatest of luck. You make all 968 owners look good.

Harvey
Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Hmm, maybe I'll give up my career as a tenured professor and become a traveling 968 mechanic Of course, if I give up my job, then I can no longer wrench for

This weekend I get to drive without traveling. Our local BMWCCA has their annual Memorial weekend DE at Barber. I'll drop the car off at the track tomorrow night (15 minute drive) and get registered.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mkd944
Congrats on the TTB win Tim. Having turned many a lap at Roebling myself, I can appreciate that a low 1:22 is an excellent time for your Frankencar.
Mike - have you been there since the repave? Grip is fantastic, the track is much faster than it was. I really think the Frankencar could turn low 1:20's on a cool day, even running Toyo's, lower with HoHo's.

I did manage to have a very interesting off in turn 2. I'm guessing I exited the track at 80-90 mph The car felt like it went airborne over one big bump in the field. Luckily RR has lots of run-off space, but even without a wall, the pucker factor was there!.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
mkd944
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Mike - have you been there since the repave? Grip is fantastic, the track is much faster than it was. I really think the Frankencar could turn low 1:20's on a cool day, even running Toyo's, lower with HoHo's.!
Yes Tim, I have been there since the repave and dropped a couple of seconds from my times. (1:27s to 1:25s and a few 1:24s on Kumho Victo's). The new pavement was a little kinder to my tires too.

Originally Posted by Lemming
I did manage to have a very interesting off in turn 2. I'm guessing I exited the track at 80-90 mph The car felt like it went airborne over one big bump in the field. Luckily RR has lots of run-off space, but even without a wall, the pucker factor was there!.
Been there and done that both before turn-in getting too close to the edge of the track and also at track-out.

Mike

Quick Reply: Frankencar update