Lifetime Rennlist
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Air Force

This one time... at band camp....
Old 05-01-2007 | 12:50 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Air Force

OK, I'll tell one...and it wasn't at band camp.

I bought my 95 in the spring of '99 from my ex-mother-in-law (another story). In May 2000, Montana enacted there F*&^$ing speed limit law. Our local PCA (Big Sky) decided to have a farewell party to the speed limit. We had a great BBQ at Dave Cooley's house. There were 13 cars with a 97 C4S leading the charge and a 73 RS clone bringing up the rear and just about everything in between.

Between Great Falls, MT and Helena, there is the "Recreation Road." It's the old highway that hugs the Missouri River. It is a fantastic drive. To get there, you have to travel about 25 miles on Interstate 15. It is mostly straight stretches with some slow ups and downs. Still, it is all beautiful. I belive Car & Driver used to rate as one of the top 10 Interstate drives in the country. Once on the Rec Road, it is an absolute blast down to Wolf Creek (pronounced crick here in MT) with a good stop and crossover at Craig, MT But I digress...

We cruised down relatively sane, not exceeding 100 on the trip down. We drove the Rec Road with great pleasure; crossing the one lane bridge used in the "Untouchables" and generally having a wonderful time. We stopped in Craig. Then, we decided to take the Interstate home. The C4S and I started stepping up the pace; 100, 120, 130. And everyone was in tow. Here we were, 13 P-Cars running about 130 -135 north on I-15. The C4S decided to go for it and I tried to keep up. I was indicating about 155 when we crested a hill. Guess what was on the other side of the hill. You guessed it, a MT HP cruising south. I saw brake lights on the C4S and I proceeded to mash too. The lights came on the HP. My heart went to my throat and started trying to figure out how I would explain this one to my (now) ex-wife. Apparently, as he saw the other 11 cars rapidly approaching the two cars he had just nailed about 150, he turned his lights off and proceeded south, flashing his lights at the rest of them as if to say, "Nice job! or This is going to be too much work!"

That was our tribute to the MT speed limit.

While we do have speed limits now, and they are kind of strict (less than 85 is OK), 85-95 is $20 and no points; 95-110 is $40 and two points. Over that, it's up to the HP.
Old 05-03-2007 | 11:43 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

On the way home from work, last evening, I was sitting at a stop light, tired from a day of slavin' at a desk and not really paying much attention to anything. The light turned green, and I hit the gas just enough to remind myself that I wasn't driving a Camry. Not to the floor, but my usual take-off so I can clearly hear the beautiful music of the B&B muffler. Directly behind me I noticed a set of headlights closing in. Most cars don't attempt to keep up with me, unless they are trying to prove something (maybe that's what I'm doing?) or unless they are wanting to "race the Porsche". Bored, and to break the monotony, I downshifted and floored the gas.

The car following stayed with me. I looked again and saw that it wasn't a 'vette or anything menacing. We stayed the same speed so I put'her into the optimal power band and gave it all I could. Same acceleration. Rats. At this point I knew the car was indeed trying to race me.

We were going about 35-40 mph by this time. As we all know, the low-end torque of the 968 is not stellar. It's all about revs and managing the gears. About that time, the variocam kicked in, and I rushed up to about 90 mph shifting like a maniac, doing all I could to stay in the powerband, and rushed far ahead of him, leaving him behind. My car took on more value to me in those moments.

Rather than risk a ticket, I slowed way down to let him pass, give him the high sign, and check out his wheels It was a BMW M3 with a frustrated driver. I think if he'd known how to drive, it would have been a different story.

Harvey
Old 05-03-2007 | 12:06 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

How many people think your 968 is an exotic car in the class of a Farrari or something? I don't make that comparison but several times I've heard "WOW, look at that Farrari!". This happens more often in my RED 928 which, BTW, will give older Farraris a serious run for its money from about 45mph to 110mph.

Others make comments like "when did you buy your new car?" That's not a 'vette...what is it? Looks cool!"

We don't see many Farrari's around here so when I once saw a black Ferrari 550 Maranello I sped up for a closer look. He must have thought I was trying to race him or something instead of just giving him a high five and drooling.

For fun, he briefly smoked the tires to show off (obviously, I didn't reciprocate in my 968). I wasn't trying to race, nor overtake him, I just wanted to take a close look a a beautiful car and not to be left too far behind. I'm not pretending to have 450 hp or a V-12 but the Farrari driver did recognize me as at least a wannbee in a nice car. the 968 is an underappreciated exotic, to the advantage of us who love them. I think
vettes are ho-hum, too many people have them, although the newer ones have some nice features. Our cars would also, if they'd survived. Give me a turbo 968 and I probably could give any of the above cars a run.

I once had a "Honda-Davidison" (Harley clone) pull up beside me and toot his horn to get my attention. He gestured for me to roll down my window and then asked me questions about my car as we sat at the red light. His final comment was, " you sure have a beautiful car"! (I'd just waxed it) It is cool when people appreciate your car and go out of their way to compliment you on your ride......Viva 968!!!

Harvey
Old 05-03-2007 | 02:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Harvey, Ferrari's have a certain air about them most cars can't complete with. Most of them are just absolutley gorgeous. I would love to own one someday but I am not sure if I could leave it parked for even a few minutes at a mall or a store.
As far as being able to run with them, a good 968 turbo could do it all day.
Raj
Old 05-03-2007 | 09:37 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Harvey, Ferrari's have a certain air about them most cars can't complete with. Most of them are just absolutley gorgeous. I would love to own one someday but I am not sure if I could leave it parked for even a few minutes at a mall or a store.
As far as being able to run with them, a good 968 turbo could do it all day.
Raj
Raj,

I'm thinking the turbo 968 was an opportunity missed by Porsche. The 951 i popular...the 968 would have been sooo much better and competitive with many of even today's supercars. Both style and performance

Then again, for $100K or so, one can get style and performance today and the newer gadgets.

Harvey

Quick Reply: Any good 968 "Road Stories?"