Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Jacking up the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007 | 08:20 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Default Jacking up the car

Ok this is going back to my first post. I need a good jacking procedure. My current one sucks. Currently I take the jack from my dad's 964, I hate the one for the 968, put it under the rear jack point and lift the car up. Engine stands under the front jack point and this odd jack point, I guess, behind the one I'm using to lift the car. Run over to the otherside repeat. Back over to the first side lift up car to desired height, adjust engine stands. (I get a little claustrophobic down there so I raise the car high) Run back over to other side and repeat. Long procedure and time consuming. I told my dad about it and he hands me this bottle jack he used in the 70's on his Porsches. Very funny dad, it doesn't fit.
Old 04-28-2007 | 12:56 PM
Greimann
Advanced

First of all, leave the jacks that came with the car in the trunk. That is for emergency tire changes only. Severed limbs and death awaits with continued use.

Get a nice hydraulic rolling floor jack. That will be the best $100 you have ever spent. You can then raise the car to the needed height in one go.
Old 04-28-2007 | 03:14 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

A hydraulic jack is the best way to go. Don't get a cheap rolling jack though (I use my rolling jack all the time). Get one that's well made, heavier duty than you need, and high lift. I use a Hockey Puck between the jack and the car frame.

Last year, I bought a lightweight, alumimum hydraulic floor jack with breakdown handle from AutoZone to take to the track. After less than a year and only a few uses, it quit jacking more than a few inches. Chinese, like about every other thing you buy these days. Quality is not always good.

Example, in removing the plastic window tint from the last car I bought, I used Chinese made single edge razor blades. I went through a dozen blades breaking on just a single quarter window before using a Made in USA blade I had lying around. That one blade (only one I had at the house) finished up all the other windows. I suspect the Chinese blade was sharp but way too brittle. Made for shaving (can you imagine that?) rather than what most single edge blades are used for in this country. I'm trying to stay away from Chinese made stuff now. Although the people are among the best in the world.

Remember when Made in Japan was a joke? Same will happen with Made in China products..eventually.

Harvey
Old 04-29-2007 | 03:15 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Frankly I still think Asian products are inferior. The japanese steal, chinese produce mass quantities lacking quality, and the koreans copy what works from whoever lacking originality. Take van's for example. The Town & Country in 93 was one of the most purchased minivans of the time. The Previa was retarded with a mid-engine layout. Couple years down the road the Seinna which was a better put together T&C dominates and due to the crap in Detroit. (Dodge Caravans). Korea (late to the party) copys Toyota and Honda designs with the Hyundai Entorage which is even better than the competition and costs less. Is the American van bad now? Well people are so used to not taking care of their cars, due to the Jap invasion, that they neglect the American counterparts which need maintenince constantly. Do this little test next time you drive, look at how many early 90's american vans are still driving around vs. the nonexistant jap vans. BTW my brother drives a 93 T&C with 208k miles. No major engine work, just a new waterpump and radiatior. Long live American and German cars!
Old 04-29-2007 | 09:53 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone jack their car up so that both wheels are off the ground on one side so you can put a jack stand under the other end? E.g., jack up the rear of the 968 and put a stand under the front jack point? Does this run a chance of "tweaking" the frame?

Hx2
Old 04-29-2007 | 09:55 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Personally I'd like one of these airjacks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2007 | 10:33 PM
968rz
Racer

I use a hydraulic jack at the rear jack point (just forward of the rear wheel); this brings the whole side up at once and even. I put the stands under the front jack point and the spot where the rear lower control arm connects to the frame. Nice and stable once it’s up, I’m always a little nervous when jacking up the second side; that’s when I figure things will go wrong (but never have-knock on wood ).
Old 04-30-2007 | 11:08 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I do the exact same as 968rz. Works like a charm. I do usually have to go back the the side I started out at just to make sure the jack stands are stable and flat.
Raj
Old 04-30-2007 | 11:30 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by H2
Does anyone jack their car up so that both wheels are off the ground on one side so you can put a jack stand under the other end? E.g., jack up the rear of the 968 and put a stand under the front jack point? Does this run a chance of "tweaking" the frame?

Hx2
I am nopt getting this.

I have a 944 turbo S. Are you saying I could raise the right side of the car and put the jack stands under the left side and the right side so when I lower it it is up on 4 stands?
Old 05-04-2007 | 11:21 AM
968rz
Racer

Originally Posted by jeeper31
I am nopt getting this.

I have a 944 turbo S. Are you saying I could raise the right side of the car and put the jack stands under the left side and the right side so when I lower it it is up on 4 stands?
No; you can jack up and put the stands under one side at a time (the whole side at once). Jack up the drivers side put the stands under the drivers side, jack up the pass side; put the stands under the pass side. Use the jack point just forward of the rear tire and the whole side will raise at once.
I forget where (one of the forums--.net, Rennlist, 968forums; it was for a 944 but it's the same for 968) but I remember finding a nice drawing that showed the jack points, if I can find it I'll post it.

Quick Reply: Jacking up the car