Body trim - rubber spline questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flash968
maybe you just can't do it - come on over - i'll show you how it's done
To that note I am willing to wager $500 for you to perform this in 2 hrs. You will be at the PA gathering. All you have to do is show to EVERYONE there that it can be done in 2 hrs, a clean install with all beading fitting properly all around the car.
If you win I pay $500 plus the cost of molding, if you lose you pay for molding and $500. Plain and simple.
Raj
Old 05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you fly out here to my shop, and i'll take that bet

i'll do it here with my tools - no problem

but, rest assured, it won't happen at all without you being there yourself, cash in hand
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Right!
Thats what I thought. Either put up or shut up.
Well there you go guys, Bull**** caught!
Start doing the dance...
Raj
Old 05-09-2006, 07:02 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG
Old 05-09-2006, 07:11 PM
flash968
Banned

not at all - i'm not coming out there to wrench - you want me to go into a shop where i know where nothing is, or if he even has what i use, and then also put me under a time table

my place - my tools - my car (only so i don't have to worry about screwing up somebody else's paint)

i'll take the bet without question

you came out here once - you'll be out here again - all you have to do is show up and watch

you'd never show up though - you've flatly refused each and every time i've offered to meet

it's not on me

any time after i get back from denver is fine - bring your stopwatch - bring your cash - i know i can do it - i've done it twice already - i'll be sure to have plenty of witnesses here to see it unfold
Old 05-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Raj, he won't take a bet he'll lose-I'm still waiting for him to take the $100 bet when he claimed he had a 993 Turbo pressure plate that was special ordered for his car under the Exclusiv program-he started backpedaling when several people had to tell him the 993 Turbo started being made several years after his car was built!
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 PM
flash968
Banned

damian - you really need to get your facts straight - you do this "out of context misquote" thing all the time - that is not what i said - 2 years ago, before i knew better, i drew from the comments of the "experts" that everything that was different from car to car would be depicted in the paperwork, and that since my car had a different pressure plate than others, that it must have been special ordered that way - it turns out that any car could have had one of four different pressure plates, with no paper trail at all, and i just got lucky

i find it fascinating that you continue to cling to finding fault where i was ill-informed by people like you - let it go

i will not lose the bet - i know i can EASILY do it within that time frame - this is a very simple job, if you know the ins and outs, and have the right tools - there are easy ways to cut time on this job, and because i've done it now so many times, i've figured out a lot of shortcuts

even a first timer with few tools and little to no experience can do it in 3 - there is no real magic here - there are only a bit over 4 dozen screws, and almost all of them are easy access - i really don't see the problem
Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Here we have it, a classic example of "flashdance". He tends to do that everytime he gets called on his bull****.
Its soo simple, the tools required are nothing special, the car stays on the ground, so what is the problem??
C'mon, I will be there in person with $500 cash in my hand in PA. What do you say?
Raj
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

The thread is over on .net for all to read-make up your own minds. Here's the link.

http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6673

Oh, please not how many of flashs posts were deleted by him because of how nasty and rude he became; you can read my tone and comments and judge for yourself.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 PM
whakiewes
Pro

I don't understand why it matters? Why does it matter if he has a 993 PP, or can completely disassemble and reassemble a 968 in 2 hrs. I just bought all the gaskets except sunroof to do my car. Just by looking over my car, there is no way I can do the door handles, side skirts, front bumper, and rear bumper in anything close to 2 hrs. The side skirts alone look to be about 30 minutes a side to remove and reinstall, not including the gasket. To do the door handle if I am not mistaken, you have to pull the door panel and a ton of other crap...sitting on atleast a couple of hours there.

I just don't understand the bickering? Is there something that I/we don't know that goes back?

Wes
Old 05-10-2006, 12:17 AM
flash968
Banned

ok - i was not including the door handles, just the body gaskets - nobody was mentioning those - that's definitely a bigger job

as to the other nonsense damian is trying to take again out of context, here's a copy of what i wrote:

"i knew my car was a special order car - it has a few things that are different than the norm - what i didn't know was just how many things
i just found out that they put in a what appears to be a 993 turbo pressure plate and clutch disk - woohoo - this explains a few things - a flywheel now and i'm golden - again, woohoo!!!!"

anybody notice where i said, "what appears to be"? turns out it's a 964 turbo plate and not a 993 turbo plate - i didn't know the difference between them at the time, and had not yet removed it - what led me to the thinking was the aluminum casing - i am NOT a porsche guy - never claimed to be - when jeff hinkles told me it was a 911 turbo plate, i thought that he meant 993 - turns out it was 964 - big deal - it was still different, and original equipment

as for being nasty and rude - what about you guys and now? nice manners - nice language - how does it look from insde that glass house? no rocks around, right?

raj - as for the bet, i am not inclined to detract from the event for the benefit of your personal vendetta - and yes, i use some different tools than most might - i have no idea if pete has those, and frankly think that it is incredibly rude and ill-mannered on your part to assume he would consent to such a thing - this is not your private party, and the only reason you would show up is to try to prove an impossible point - besides, if i were to agree to such a thing, and give up the home field advantage, it would not be for a petty $500, and it would not be straight odds

if you want to pop over while you are out here, feel free - i'm happy to show you i'm right, and take your money - it takes me less than 2 hours to do the job here - i'm happy to prove it - i know i can do it here, because i've already done it twice on my car - i'll be doing it again next week - it's becoming a regular thing, and i've really got it down - i can't help the fact that you haven't also figured out how to do it

if you can't afford to fly out here, though it's only a couple hundred bucks, i suppose i could set up a video link with you standing in pete's shop, with a camera on you, and him holding your cash - that would be a great moment for posterity

wes - yes - very one-sided - it is due entirely to a few people who have had the shortsighted tendency to form an opinion of a person without the benefit of meeting them, and based soley on the condensed and edited things they read on a chat board - it has really been a schoolyard bully thing, that is a diservice to the community, and is without foundation - they refuse to meet me in person, and instead only continually stir up trouble for their own personal amusement - it is an all too common tale in the internet community, and really needs to stop

raj - if you want to follow through on your bravado, feel free to email me - i'm not going to bother everyone else with this stupidity any longer

i think there is nothing left to be said
Old 05-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Deano
Instructor

i'm gonna try it ! i'll let you all know how i did ... thanks guys...
Old 05-10-2006, 03:29 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

...aren't you glad you asked?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

No need to spin it, just read the thread-the words are there for all to read for themselves.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:08 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

"Spin"?
C'mon, Damian, that implies I have an agenda of some sort. I was commenting on the utter foolishness wherein a visitor's request for simple information devolved into a proposed "beading shootout", with that in turn devolving to arguing over the terms for said shootout, all with insults and yet more ill will and bad feelings. Trust me: I am sympathetic to neither side in anything as stupid as what's going on here. And I don't appreciate being told what to say.

Quick Reply: Body trim - rubber spline questions...