Big loss for the 968 community

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:57 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Big loss for the 968 community

Something that occured at the forums:

I’m turning in my keys as moderator and general member to the forum. Participating has lost its enjoyment and entertainment value. This solely due to one person’s incessant maniacal behavior and the administrator’s unwillingness to help me put a cap on it.

No one person has single-handedly divided the 968 community and chased away good technically competent people because of his un-throttled arrogance and intolerance of people who disagree with him. Not withstanding his constant thread hijacking with diversions that elaborate on his needs, and thoughts about what he is thinking or doing - to the exclusion of the originator of the post and the original question. That is a guarantee to alienate new members right off the bat, and irritate the rest of us.

Talking and coaching have done no good, and the admin won’t let me ban him or meter his posts as a disciplinary action, so I am out. No one else here needs moderation because the rest of us have a desirable personality trait called self-control.

A healthy forum encourages diversity and participation from all levels of experience. To do this requires a level of interaction akin to a cocktail party. People engaging in polite conversation. Preposterous advice, extreme opinion and general argument are avoided.
Unfortunately I have seen many capable members come and go because of disgust at these very behaviors.

This is unfortunate because this poor little car needs all the help it can get and with a fairly narrow gene pool of experience, the resultant knowledge base that is generated is equivalent to an inbred imbecile. As long as this situation exists, all this forum can ever hope to be is a private channel that nurtures one person’s megalomania, while the rest of us cringe and bear it.

I can no longer tolerate it, so it is hasta la vista baby. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Dave G.

I ask everyone here, what is the answer? Do we keep looking the other way or do we fix this for the better of the community? I would like to hear opinions online and offline if you are uncomfortable posting publicly about how you feel.
Its a BIG loss to the 968 community. Dave is very level headed and is extremely knowledgeable. Seems like he could no longer tolerate being moderated/controlled as a moderator. Its a shame because the whole idea of the forums was to have moderation to avoid such a situation.
This is not to stir things up but hopefully, put an end to this nonsense. We need to speak up as a community.
Regards.
Raj

1994 968 turbo
Old 04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The post you quote here has apparently been removed from 968forums.com. That doesn't speak well to the future of that site.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave G has been a huge positive contributor to the 968 world; for him to take such a drastic step speaks volumes.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by John Etnier
The post you quote here has apparently been removed from 968forums.com. That doesn't speak well to the future of that site.
I agree. I think I was number 3 or 4 to view the post this morning; when I returned later it was gone. I do hope that Dave decided to remove it, if not, then it appears that it is okay to moderate some, but not others
Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Shame, I hope Dave find his way back into the community in some way shape or form. BTW, it wasn't Dave that removed it, it was Eric.
Raj
Old 04-12-2006, 10:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry if I'm a bit behind (I bought my 968 in November and still haven't driven it yet), but did this happen here?
It's kind of hard for me to follow this.......
Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

No, this is over on www.968forums.com.

Between that forum, this one, the 924/944/968 forum, and the e-mail lists... the finest collection of product support you could hope for.

I hope things get sorted out on the 968forums. It is usually a pretty productive space. Dave's absence would be a significant loss, IMHO.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:32 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

There's none better than Dave G. I vote to throttle anyone with consistently bad netiquette or who is mean-spirited and won't change. I hope that Dave continues to share his immense expertise on all 968 lists. I always listen to his advice and know that it's genuine.

H2

Quick Reply: Big loss for the 968 community