Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Interior Color code TS (Linen or Pearl, or?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 11:58 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are referring to the two letters after the paint code, My car was definitely linen, but the code doesn't jibe. But if when you get that ebay thing, look up LQ for me. I'd love to be wrong, because it would help me figure a few things out as well. Mine says L041/L041 and LQ. Underneath are the option codes.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Will do
Old 01-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's funny that you got the same brochure- i'm assuming it was the same one, but somehow it climbed up a lot higher than I thought it would.... it could be kind of cool to have- hope it works for you- guess we'll know soon....
Old 01-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Yhea, its veryl likely the same one. It climbed higher than I expected it to but, at this point, my options are getting slim. Hopefully, I'll get it this week.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Well, I think I found the answer. I got the 1991-1992 Porsche color order code pages today and the closest match is "Light Grey", code 3ZT. The sample does seem to match the interior of my car, though it was getting dark so I'll have to verify in better light. But, nothing else even came close for model year 1992.

The brochure shows exterior colors, along with all interior colors for; carpet, leatherette, and leather.

The code for Light Grey carpeting (D42) and Light Grey leather (3ZT) do differ. So, although I haven't the interior color for code "TS" it does look like I've found matching material codes.

ehall- didn't find any code for LQ, as they are all 3-place codes. Nothing with code LQ in it at all. Let me know if there is a 3-place code you want me to look up.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:39 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought the color codes were three digits. Don't worry about looking anything up. I'm taking the whole car Champagne. I have a source for Porsche leather, so I can do it all in stages. I'll dye things for now, and upgrade as I go.
What is interesting is that the color codes appear not to correspond across the part numbers. ie a leather seat cover, with a Porsche pn may have a different color code than a matching carpet for th same year and model. One of the problems is that the actual seats were the same over long model periods, and the colors appear the same or close, but the company kept changing the damned numbers every year.
Really frustrating isn't it?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's kind of odd... wouldn't have expected that from the pics I saw... Have you considered checking for 1993's? You've got 1991-1992- your car is a 1992, but what month was it sold in? IF sold a little later in the year, it could have come w/something from 1993. I've seen some similar descrepancies in these cars before.. Sometimes Porsche would run out of something & then use something from a newer model (OR older model, depending on scenario) to finish something up... Not sure how common this was, but I'm aware of a couple of things like this from a 1994 968 cab here in Knoxville... it's definately frustrating... One thing we could do is to get the all the dif colors from your catalog & then compare the the PET list for 1993 & see if any are different that could possibly be your color... ie- we wouldn't consider blues or reds, etc, but we would consider any possible shades of light tan, grey, white, etc... make sense? It's probably not going to help, but doesn't take much time to rule some out... IF it is the light grey, then, that's a nice color to have... I think it looks great...I've seen several people talk about champagne lately, but am not quite sure what that is...Any pics ehall?
Old 01-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

Robby- my car was manufactured in 11/91; not sure when it was sold. But, I would think the time of manufacture would be more indicative of what year's matierals were used. There is nothing in the '91 color range that comes close. The light grey really does look like the color-I would have never thunk it. It definitely has both a grey and tan hue depending on the lighting. There are some really great colors and some of them also have mixed hues. For example, the carrara grey looks grey and a sort of hunter green.

Do you think it would be possible (and affordable) to get some of the carpeting pieces in light grey? I know there are places that sell the more common colors. My kick panels in the side footwell are torn along the endge. Its that black cloth edging that has fallen apart over the years. (Interesting, not so on the 951) I think the PO probably removed sections to run audio wires to the back and consequently weakened that area.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:41 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

You know, it's kind of funny... 968's were never made in 1991... only model years were 92 - 95.... hmmmmm.... anyway, I would think you could get the carpet matched in those areas... only thing is, it's tough to find quality carpet at reasonable prices... I saw some that a guy was using to recover an earlier NA- it was a burdgundy interior & he bought it from Performance Products... unfortunately, it was not good quality- it also came in all kinds of sections- like some sort of puzzle... my mech had it all laid out to see how it went together, etc, when I saw it, but the guy had just been there & they had decided to send it back- it had even been drop-shipped from somewhere else... Didn't somone here recently get some good carpet somewhere- maybe a hatch piece??
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

True, 968s were only available for models years 1992-1995 but production for the 1992 began in 1991-don't know exactly when. My car is from the early production run.

I have a couple brochures from Performance Products and others that offer many colors for floor mats and the rear mat of the hatch area. But, have not found a supplier for other individual or full carpet sections in anything other than the common colors.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know the model years often differ from the actual dates of production, but I just meant that it's kind of funny they label the brochure 1991 - 1992... would think they'd just say 1992... 1991 would be the last year for the 944 / 944S2 colors...? Oh well... Doesn't matter really... I remember arguing w/people about the 300ZXTT- supposedly ran from 1990 to 199x(?), but some list 1989 as first year & some people will tell you that it's only 2nd Gens (single turbo / body style) & 3rd Gen's started in 1990- a friend of mine's parent's bought a 3rd Gen TT in late summer of 1989. Many cars come out as late September / October for the next model year. I guess it depends on whatever year the dealer wants to call it...? I just always wonder, in a case where you're filling something out, would you list a car like that the year it was built, or as the model year?

Anyway, if the color really is light grey, I would think you could find that. I wouldn't expect it to be that unique b/c a lot of Porsches had it. Of course, you'd definately want carpet specifically made to match Porsche light grey, that's for sure... I've just never seen pics of light grey that had any type of tan in it... That's what gets me...
Old 01-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Todd951968
Burning Brakes

What I actually got were pages from a catalogue, which came out of a large ring binder; not a brochure per se. Its written in several languages and probably was a factory issued document for dealerships to use in ordering cars?

It shows which models were available in what colors. But, for the 1991 pages, it didn't show the 944 among the leather swatches; only the cloth porsche script colors. Perhaps, it was a typo because I've never seen a 1990's car with the cloth seats.

I've heard that with some cars (ones that hadn't sold out in their last year of production) were eventually titiled and were considered as later year models. Like the last 928s and Jag XJS and Toyota Supras.

Quick Reply: Interior Color code TS (Linen or Pearl, or?)