Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Track guys, would love to hear from you.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 05:02 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys for your excellent responses. I am looking for Porsche related experiences only so please refrain if you lack such.
The car checked out ok. Its a 7 but has some of the track goodies (R compund tires on 9 inch wheels all around, rollcage and racings seats) and is the fames turbo S. I am still kicking things around. It would need new control arms and a new clutch to be considered safe to last for tracking in my book.
Once again, thank for all the pertinent information and I will keep you guys posted on what we decide on.
Eric K, I was hoping you chime in as well. Thanks you! .
ITC, look forward to meeting you as well.
Dave, good points.
Scotts, as always greatly appreciated.
Lemming, same goes to you.
Bruce, I plan to pick your brains on this one.
Raj
Old 11-19-2005, 07:30 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know, for a couple of 968 guys, I'm not sure why you're looking at 951s. The 968 makes a terrific track/D.E. car. H.P. is similar to the 951 w/out the turbo. Lots of low end torque . . . hell, you know the story.

You're both familiar with the handling characteristics of the 968. No need to consider the N/A 944 as an option, unless you're intending to spend less than $5,000 for your track car.

You will likely spend less money to acquire a 951 than you would for a decent 968, but IMHO the extra $$ is well spent. There is at least one 968 for sale in the Metro/NY classifieds. I think Clem's '95 (very well maintained) coupe is for sale - unless he's already sold the car.

You can drive to the track, but I would recommend that you get a roof rack and bring along a set (i.e., four) of wheels and tires. By putting the wheels on the roof, you will have an incredible amount of room in the rear area of either the 951 or 968.

Seat (I prefer Recaro), 5 or 6-point harness and Brey-Krause harness bar, helmet w/ HANS device & fire extinguisher, are minimal safety equipment recommendations. I have a new Rennline bolt-in rollover bar that I am removing from the white coupe which I am returning to stock configuration prior to selling the car. My 968 track car will have a full welded-in cage, so I will be selling the rollover bar.

Please phone or P.M. me with ANY questions either of you guys have. Can't wait to see you both at the track next year!

Richard
Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Rich, our thought regarding getting a 951 is that as we progress the 951 can progress. With a 968, it is much harder and expensive. A 951 is still a very good starting point with greater tunability.
I am a boost junkie, what can I say .
Raj
Old 11-20-2005, 12:02 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Raj,

Understand. But, couldn't YOU just as easily progress in a 968 and, when "ready", have an awesome turbocharged 968 to drive on the track? Sorry, I don't get it.

Also, you'd be surprised how fast a well-driven 968 can make its way around the track. Our friend Joe, (who drives the blue Firehawk 968), consistently blows bye many bigger hp cars at LRP. His firehawk car is essentially a lightened M030 968. Last weekend I rode around VIR with Jim Child in his F stock 968 race car. He was F-A-S-T. No need for a turbocharger in Jim's case.

Either way, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun at the track. You and Damian can call me any time. Hope to see you guys before next Spring.

Richard
Old 11-20-2005, 08:39 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Rich, I look forward to learning from all you guys as well. I would never put my 968 turbo on the track. That is not an option. Damian feels the same way about his cab. Too nice!
I have too much to lose in that car and it can't be duplicated due to a lot of the original turbo S/RS parts.
Raj
Old 11-20-2005, 11:18 AM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll try to avoid being redundant because Louis and Jim did a thorough job of summing up the must have's and provide great recommendations. I strongly urge you to tailer the vehicle if the budget allows for it. I did my first few DE's in a 993 that I drove to the events. If your driving mostly in the NE, the early and late parts of the season can be a bit challenging when your faced with bad weather. Never mind the extra stuff you need to cram into the car to make it an enjoyable day, ez-up, chairs, cooler, grill, tools, extra tires etc. After several rainy, very hot and some cold events spent huddled in the car staying warm and dry I said enoughs enough. I purchased a Trailex trailer and could not have been happier. Most vans and small SUV's can pull this trailer with any Porsche attached. I've been towing with several different Chrysler T&C vans and have had no problems. In fact, quite a few people are shocked at how well the vans pull.

As far as modifications, I concur with the others who recommend staying focused on safety and avoid the other performance enhancements. Learn to drive the basically stock but safe 944/968 and when your skills progress then add the susoension, brakes and hp items or upgrade to a fully modified version. There are always 944 Cup or Firehawk prepped cars available.

Best of luck with your new endeavor!

Joe
Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Joe, WOW!! That thing is a beauty. By any chance is that the car I saw at Will's (Precision)?
Thank you very much for the kind advise. Damian and I have agreed that it would be too stressful to drive the car there so trailor is the way we plan to go. This will also allow us to save on insurance and registration on the car. Its only going to be used for DE and autocrosses so it makes sense.
I would love to get together with some of the local guys and see their setups and cars. Joe, let me know if you have spare time in the near future and maybe Damian and I and who ever else wants to join us can get together.
This is exciting stuff.
Raj
Old 11-20-2005, 01:52 PM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get a track-prepped 968! I don't want any more competition at the autocrosses! j/k

Good luck with the search!
Old 11-20-2005, 05:27 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I would never put my 968 turbo on the track. That is not an option.
Raj
We shall see about that. There are some very special cars out there and you just may get the itch.

Really, in many respects, driving a properly prepared car on the track is much safer than driving on the street. No kidding.

You and D let me know when you want to get together. BTW, how much $$ did you plan on spending to acquire your track car? Are you buying 1 and sharing with Damian, or are you buying 2 cars??

Ciao.

Richard

Last edited by richard glickel.; 11-20-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One car for the two of us, we're flexible somewhat on the price, but it'll be under 15K for sure-we're dipping our toes into this. We've got all winter to look at cars to find the best one we can.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:46 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Raj;

It was my car that you saw at Precision. Will does a great job with the car and I trust him emphatically. In fact, he was the one to convince me to move from the 993 to the 968. I've driven this car for 2 plus seasons and it's well sorted out and incredibly reliable. Aside from some cording issue's with early lot Hossier SO4's and a failed alternator, I've had no DNF's in 2 seasons. As others have said, a well sorted 944 or 968 will bring loads of fun on the track and can be quite competitive with the lhigher horsepower 911's. I run in the Red group for the DE's where there is plenty of high horsepower, high dollar machines and I have the same level of fun without nearly the investment.

Glad to hear you are going to trailer to the DE's, you won't regret it.

Joe
Old 11-20-2005, 08:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Damian/Raj,
As someone who drives a decent track appliance (964 Euro Cup car....car is MUCH more capable than its current driver), I can tell you that Joe's Firehawk is very impressive, both on and off the track. I am always looking behind me ready to put the hand out the window at a moment's notice if I see anything blue behind me

As addictive as boost can be, I would second the "gentle nudging" about considering a 968 project car, perhaps modeled after the Firehawk with respect to setups. I am quite sure you'd both be very happy with the results.

Just my 2 cents....wait, you've got change coming.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

R&D, Interesting thread...I have started looking for a track car as well, so I've enjoyed reading the thread (interruptions aside). I am leaning toward a NA 944, but I have found several 951's listed by Autometrics in Charleston, SC. (Gordon at Autometrics is great to deal with and knows the 951 well) It might be better to start with a good track car that someone else has prepped and sorted and is willing to sell for pennies on the dollar. We all know that racing is not a profitable venture, only an expensive recreation. Goodluck.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raj-You're welcome to my truck to tow the trailer, whenever you need it...

Steve
Old 11-20-2005, 10:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephenwz968
Raj-You're welcome to my truck to tow the trailer, whenever you need it...

Steve
What a guy!! I am so glad I have you as a friend .
Raj

Quick Reply: Track guys, would love to hear from you.