968 Forum 1992-1995

What's my 92 968 coupe worth??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's my 92 968 coupe worth??

I may trade my 968 coupe with a friend for an old car he bought from me a few years ago. I would like to get a feeling of what the car is worth so that we have a basis for beginning our negotiations.

My car is a 1992 968 coupe in Amazon green with the gray interior. It has the optional Limited slip and fully adjustable power driver's seat. No dash cracks and the leather is in excellent condition showing only some light surface lines ,...could easily be re-dyed and would probably look new,....I may get this done as I know a guy that does it.

the car is completely stock other than about $3000 in audio gear. I bought it from the original owner who serviced it regularly and used it as a daily driver. Never tracked or street raced.

Odometer shows 146,000 miles, however, I have a copy of the repair ticket from the local Porsche dealer showing a complete $8000 engine rebuild at 110,000 miles after the original owner drove into some water during a heavy rain shower and water made its way into the intake.........bent one rod. Insurance paid for it so Porsche dealer did a complete rebuild as needed.

the car has Just had a new water pump and timing belt very recently with all associated idler bearings etc.. Tires are newish probably about 90% tread remaining.

Paint has a few problems with the clear coat. Looks like maybe somebody used too much compound on a few spots years ago and now the paint job is paying the price. Rear bumper cover has been painted once and the color is not a perfect match, close, but not perfect,...and has a bit of damage to the rear bumper cover down low where the car scraped when the owner was turning into a driveway with a very steep immediate uphill change from the steet.

Runs and drives flawlessly with ice cold A/C. I have just done the airbox mod and added the K&N filter (not that this adds value particularly,....but it does add 11 horsepower)

what is this car worth??

Brian Collins
Austin, TX
Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say between $11-13k, pics could help in determining the paint damage. Did they reuse the cams when they rebuilt the engine, or did they use new ones? I'm curious what the wear would be on 110k mile cams.

Steve
Old 09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, $8,500 - $10,000.

Richard
Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also think that with good condition relatively low mileage coupes selling in the low to mid teens that this one would be relegated to potential track car status and be a < $10K car.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 AM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

From the invoice, it looks like the engine was completely disassembled. Head was sent out for $631 in repairs (check /shave head and grind valves?) no new cams on invoice. I assume they would have been replaced if any sign of wear was observed. No unusual noises that would indiate a worn lifter/rocker/actuator (my 380SE has a worn rocker and cam lobe that make LOTS of clacking noises when I fire it up...........replaced the rocker once, and all was fine..............for a short while)

All new rings, bearings, seals, timing belts, water pump etc.

The work was done at 109K and car currently runs beautifully at 146K,...so 37K on rebuild

Brian
Old 09-30-2005, 03:50 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, I just paid $18,500 for a 1992 Black/Black Coupe with LSD in perfect shape with 48K miles and all records....had new waterpump, power steering pump, and belts within the last 3K miles....

Top dollar, but bought it from the second owner who got rid of it after a year only because he bought a smoking 964 for stupid cheap...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:06 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I would say, that having just purchased a 93 Coupe with 66K miles and LSD, near perfect paint and interior with two sets of wheels and calling on almost every car in the country that the car is worth around 10K with the records. There were several high mileage cars that were advertised in good shape for 8-11K on autotrader, cars.com and other sources. Hope this helps. I paid 15K for mine.

Jonathan
Old 10-01-2005, 11:22 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm always jumpy about buying a car that's had a lot of engine work done...for me it really depends on the reliability of the mechanice who built the engine.

Harvey
Old 10-01-2005, 05:12 PM
wildwestrider
Intermediate

I think we can say its safe to assume that with 37,000 miles on it since the rebuild and no problems, no leaks,..........the the dissassembly and reassembly was done right.

Engines aren't that complicated, and when you have a shop that is properly set up with all the right tools, lighting, work areas,.....its not a complicated or difficult task..................beyond that,....if something isn't done right, it typically surfaces immediately or at least very soon after the re-assembly.

so......................fear not..............Or........................"jump" not.

BC

Quick Reply: What's my 92 968 coupe worth??