968 Forum 1992-1995

Rear glass shattered just by closing hatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:33 PM
sparky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear glass shattered just by closing hatch

Funny sound as I shut the rear hatch on Sunday - then I noticed the whole glass had crazed. damn !

Definitely did not hit anything as boot was empty, and I wasn't slamming in anger, so interested to know if this has occured to others at all? It was a cold day (for Adelaide) around 55 F / 13 C.

My insurance company is ready to help, but when I made some enquiries with Porsche (Australia) the price of replacement hatch was absolutely astronomical, like ten times my worst guess ! Seems Porsche don't sell glass separately, so I have to buy the whole assembly.

Wondering what is new / second hand price of a 968 lid in USA? Can you buy the glass separately? Is the glass identical to 944 ?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sparky
Is the glass identical to 944 ?
glass is the same...just reuse your trim and spoiler. (plenty of breakers should have the glass)
Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default glass not necessarily the same

From what I've heard, there are different holes and mounting points on the 944 hatch that do not match the 968 rear wing. Also, the 968's metal hatch frame is definitely different with some extra metal tabs near the bottom edge.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

A good hatch should be in the $800-1200 range in US. Add another $250-300 for shipping to AUS.
Raj
Old 07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it's a possible solution for you, but if you bought Lexan for the rear hatch you could use your existing trim.

I think you would spend about $500 US for the Lexan rear hatch, without shipping. The shipping would be less money and certainly less worrisome, too.

Jason
Old 07-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Tom Carson
Burning Brakes

I have been researching this ‘swap’ and all the info I could find says that the actual glass is same...the 968 wing itself bolts directly to the hatch, but the side trim has a 7th stud and slotted nut, which will require modifying the 944 hatch. also the 968 lower trim under the spoiler trim attaches differently. the 968 has two small flanges/mounting plates welded onto the 968 hatch frame at the rear which is not present on the 944 (see link below) and 968 latch pin mounts may need to be swapped to the 944 hatch. yup, the 968 to 968 hatch swap is easiest but other options are available

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=184305&page=2
Old 07-20-2005, 06:36 AM
sparky
Intermediate

Thanks Tom and others. Good help all around. By the way, the quote from Porsche Australia for complete new 968 hatch assembly was... wait for it....$11,000 (thats around US$8,000)... unbelievable! I'm still curious what official Porsche price is in USA for this part?

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
dynatech
Instructor

Chris,
last time i checked it was around $3500 US but it may have gone up since then, as you know i have seen your car in person and the photos of the smashed rear hatch so i did shed a tear for you because i know how much you take care of that thing, if you need me to sorce one for you let me know, did you change your mind about the light weight one as it sounds like a killer deal to me,

BTW, you should expect to see the yellow RSR out at the sprints very soon, it sould be turning some very quick times as it is supposed to have 100 more ponies than the old motor had, hope fully he wont be able to blow this one up.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:33 PM
sparky
Intermediate

Scott .... gudday stranger. Matt sold me his spare hatch complete for $2,500, good quality too. The silver lining on this cloud is that I now have a spare frame and will be fitting lightweight (shatter-proof!) polcarbonate. We've located a supplier in Perth and are about to do a bulk buy. I'll look forward to seeing the RSR hold it all together at August 14 sprint!
Old 07-28-2005, 11:00 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I can imagine the deck glass breaking if the glass has begun to delaminate someplace...unequal pressure plus SLAM! equals expensive headache. My glass has begun delamination and that's the next thing I aim to try and fix.

Harvey
Old 08-01-2005, 04:33 AM
d993
Racer

Originally Posted by dynatech
Chris,
last time i checked it was around $3500 US but it may have gone up since then, as you know i have seen your car in person and the photos of the smashed rear hatch so i did shed a tear for you because i know how much you take care of that thing, if you need me to sorce one for you let me know, did you change your mind about the light weight one as it sounds like a killer deal to me,

BTW, you should expect to see the yellow RSR out at the sprints very soon, it sould be turning some very quick times as it is supposed to have 100 more ponies than the old motor had, hope fully he wont be able to blow this one up.
Who in their right mind would buy 1 new for $3500???
I'll sell a complete one in excellent shape with spoiler and trim for a lot less than that.
ddme58@yahoo.com
Old 08-01-2005, 07:57 AM
sparky
Intermediate

I agree wholeheartedly d993 - even at US$3500. So you can imagine how I felt when I was quoted more than twice that amount down under here in OZ. On principle I refused to allow even my insurance company buy it new from Porsche - my little protest at their price, which is clearly ridiculous and completely unjustifiable.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
d993
Racer

Hey, BTW, I lived in Adelaide for 2 years.........late '87-'89.
I haven't been back since '89, but planning on visiting sometime.
I don't remember seeing too many Porsches when I was there (of course it was before the 968 was introduced), but yeah, I do remember the outrageous car prices, especially on some of the typical American iron that was imported.
I remember 5-10 y/o Corvettes going for 3-4 times what they sold for here in the US.
If you know any of the local "car guys", my ex-gf is seeing a guy who drives a Skyline, which apparently seems to be heavy into street racing in Adelaide.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM
gnosis
Instructor

Your experience: USD$3,500 hatch for AUD$11,000. My recent experience: USD$17 heater control valve for AUD$116. Unfortunately, I had no choice but to pay it since my car was stranded without a new one.

At least I can say one thing for Australian Porsche parts departments. They're consistently unreasonably priced in the extreme.

If someone can explain why Australians have to pay insane prices for the same parts (or order them from the US, pay shipping, import duty, and consumption tax, and still come out way ahead, not that I'd recommend such a silly idea to anyone thinking of buying even the smallest part after having done it myself quite successfully and painlessly), then I'd like to hear it.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:39 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear hatch assemby is around $6300 US from Porsche...just check the price of the dash board too!!

Quick Reply: Rear glass shattered just by closing hatch