968 Forum 1992-1995

Whining Belt this morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 04:22 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Belt this morning

This morning when I got in the 968 to drive to school, the belts made a loud whining noise at startup. I immediately turned off the car because i wasnt' sure what was going on. I started it back up and it made the same noise... I let it idle a little bit as I opened the hood and listened (that's when I realized it was probably the belts).

I revved the motor a few times and the whine was still there. I turned off the engine and pulled on the belt a little bit... That seemed to fix the whine and my gf drove me to school in it. But what is this whine indicitive of? Should I be prepared to loosen or tighten the belts soon? Comments?

Edit: My father in law thinks it is the Fan belt that is making the noise and thinks it just needs alittle adjustment.. What do you think?

-Steve
Old 11-22-2004, 04:51 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you should respectfully tell your GF's father that our car's don't drive the fan through a belt. Its electrical, . You need to adjust either your alternator or your power steering belt. They have their individual tensioners.
The alternator belt requires two 17 mm open end wrenches to loosen the tensioner. Locknut should be turned clockwise to unlock, then turn the rod clockwise and lock it again when properly tensioned.
Power steering is 13mm with same procedure.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Thanks Raj! We're taking the car down to his house for Thanksgiving on Thursday, so he and I will take care of it then. He's a big wrench-head, but isn't knowledgable in Porsche's. (He's got a great fully restored 50's T-Bird, and a Boss 305 among others!) Together we should be able to figure it out.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, its quite simple. Just remove the belly pan and you have full access to everything you will need.
Raj
Old 11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Becareful with the direction of the turn -- one end of the adjusting bar is left-handed (turns the opposite way). Just look at the thread before tightening or else you can strip a bolt like I did....
Old 11-22-2004, 10:28 PM
ckathens
Drifting

TurboCup-

Thanks for the msg. I'll be sure to check this out on Thursday. The car currently has 92k miles on it, and the maintenance history is complete for the past 3 years (but not before, since it was bought by a Porsche dealership who apparently threw all that away).
Old 12-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Jeff F
Advanced

I had the same problem with a bad timing belt roller. Based on reports and archives, I thought it was an over-tightened balance shaft belt. Turns out it was a roller bearing.

Belt was "singing" as opposed to squealing.

Jeff

'92 968 Cab. B&B, mostly stock.
'87 928 S4 5-spd. Some extra stuff.
'86 951 2.8. Lots of extra stuff.

Quick Reply: Whining Belt this morning