Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

THE 3.0 Liter Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012 | 08:57 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Honestly, this is just one of those subjects that has SO MANY various options, requirements, varying formulas, that it might require buying stock in Red Bull and loading the house with non-perishable food stuffs to last the long nuclear winter. Even once you have the parts, you still need some way to manage the entire system, which will require larger injectors a bigger turbo, or I guess supercharger, if such has actually been put into the market, some form of intercooler, you could use a 2.5L turbo head, with some additional welding work, or the 2.7 with...and so it goes...and goes...and goes. There are lots of ways to skin this cat. Those who have done it will all tell you something a little different. Enjoy your winter!
Old 01-03-2012 | 02:51 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default 951 to s2 tensioner

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Konstantin, I think you need to check your resources before you jump on this one. A 944S2 has the same tensioner as a later style 951. They are bnoth spring loaded and I am curently running one in my 2 V turbo. I do know from 1st hand experience what I am talking about. He plans to use a 2 valve head and there is no need for him to use a 968 belt tensioner.
Check you facts before you start critisizing someone next time.
Raj
OK YOU GUYS ARE BOTH RIGHT.
YOU CAN USE AN S2 TENSIONER TO AN 8 VALVE SET UP, BUT YOU CANNOT USE A 951 TENSIONER TO THE S2 SET UP,IT HAS A LONGER ARM..
Old 01-03-2012 | 03:36 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by d993
I suggested this a LONG TIME AGO!
But then if you use a thicker head gasket spacer to lower compresion, what are the other so-called 968 tuners going to do? You know, the ones that charge $25k for a turbo kit.................They will be exposed as nothing but overpriced crooks.

They won't be able to sell their "special" $1800 pistons
They won't be able to sell their "special" $2200 rods
Hmmm.............$4000 for pistons and rods (and 15-20 hours of labor), or $250 for a head gasket spacer (and 6-8 hours of labor) to lower the compression.......
It makes no sense!!! The 968 has forged pistons, forged rods, and forged crank from the factory! And anyone who tells you otherwise, is FOS and simply trying to justify why you need to buy their pistons and rods!
And the "secret" will be out that you DON'T have to spend $25k to turbocharge a 968 (or 944S2). This is not a Murcielago we're talking about!
But some people feel more comfortable when they spend a LOT more $. It makes them feel better I guess........If so, go right ahead.
If I offended anyone here that did spend $25k + to turbocharge their 968, I apologize in advance, but it's just like spending $25k on turbocharging a E36 M3 instead of doing it for $7k.
Now that's a big TIP!!!
OK FELLOWS .
I ENCLOSED A 2.5 INOX SPACER BETWEEN 2 WIDEFIRERING REINZ GAS
KETS(ACTUALLY I MADE 4 SEPARATE RINGS TO FIT ON THE BORES ,FROM THE SAME THICKNESS, AND ALLOWED THE COOLAND TO FLOW AROUND THEM BETWEEN THE GASKETS ) AND I CRASHED THEM WITH A SET OF RACEWARE STUDS.WITH A TOTAL COST OF 2 GASKETS SPACER AND STUDS,OF 350 EUROS I RUN 1,6 BAR WITH NO PROBLEM MODERATE TIMING, AND RICH 12:1 FUEL .I ALREADY HAVE 5000 KM IN THIS S2 MOTOR WITH NO PROBLEM IN THE HOT SOUTHERN GREECE.THE S2 LOOKS STRONGER THAN THE 968 WITH MAHLE FORGINGS AND ROBUST RODS EVEN WITHOUT OIL SQUIRTERS.
Old 01-03-2012 | 03:36 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

they are both CORRECT AND YOU NEED very much TO STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPITOL LETTERS! It is considered YELLING! STOP YELLING AT US...and we'll happily start helping you.

You might try reading all of the posts from both of these guys. They REALLY know what they are talking about! Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-03-2012 | 03:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SERIOUSLY! REMOVE THE CAPS LOCK BUTTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2012 | 03:39 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DEMETRIOS
OK FELLOWS .
I ENCLOSED A 2.5 INOX SPACER BETWEEN 2 WIDEFIRERING REINZ GAS
KETS(ACTUALLY I MADE 4 SEPARATE RINGS TO FIT ON THE BORES ,FROM THE SAME THICKNESS, AND ALLOWED THE COOLAND TO FLOW AROUND THEM BETWEEN THE GASKETS ) AND I CRASHED THEM WITH A SET OF RACEWARE STUDS.WITH A TOTAL COST OF 2 GASKETS SPACER AND STUDS,OF 350 EUROS I RUN 1,6 BAR WITH NO PROBLEM MODERATE TIMING, AND RICH 12:1 FUEL .I ALREADY HAVE 5000 KM IN THIS S2 MOTOR WITH NO PROBLEM IN THE HOT SOUTHERN GREECE.THE S2 LOOKS STRONGER THAN THE 968 WITH MAHLE FORGINGS AND ROBUST RODS EVEN WITHOUT OIL SQUIRTERS.
ps. That's because you are full of crap!
Old 01-03-2012 | 03:47 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default PISTON REPLACEMENT

Originally Posted by Pauerman
It's pretty clear (to me) that d993 is not seeing the point about turbocharging a 8V vs 16V. This is not an issue of "monkey-see, monkey-do" - it's a matter guys here on Rennlist who have built or are looking to build these engines "correctly." The mantallity of "use a thicker head gasket - it'll work" vs "use the proper parts for the job" is what's being debated.

Some tuners use shorter rods, some have probably looked into a thicker head gasket to drop the CR, but at the end of the day, to maintain the combution chamber characteristics that the Porsche engineers designed you've got to use the "proper" 104mm turbo pistons - 16V or 8V. It's clear that "minor" details like squish area are not of a conern to you.

For the 8V 3L application, the 951 parts needed are much more readily available and are more cost effective than many of the custom parts (intake, exhaust/crossover) needed for a 16V application.

As already stated, if a thicker head gasket is all that is req'd then everyone in the 944/968 community would have done it already.

d993, you talk as though the thicker head gasket route is a far better, more cost effective option for turbocharging a 16V engine compared to the 8V - correct piston, modified 951 or 2.7 head option.

Obviously, you haven't spent a red cent on your thicker head gasket idea and can't back up what you are saying. In my opinion, what you fail to recognize is that even with a thicker head gasket 16V application, the 8V option is still a more cost effective option and it's built with the "correct" parts.
DONT FORGET ALL OF YOU AGAINST SPACING THE HEAD GASKET THAT THE ALUSIL 951 BLOCKS CAME WITH THE PISTONS CUSTOM FITTED BY PORSCHE ACCORDING TO HONING GROUPS .SO HOW MANY PISTONS YOU NEED TO DO THE JOB RIGHT?
Old 01-03-2012 | 04:04 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default 2 HEAD GASKETS

Originally Posted by JPBNY
D993
Have you put any thought into the fact that if you use a "thick headgasket" you will be changing the distance from the center line of the crank to the center line of the cam.This will change your cam timming,even with an adjustable cam gear you will have a hard time to get it right.
Yes it will change the squelsh area of the chamber with a thick gasket/spacer that I could live with but you are now adding 2 gaskets into the combustion area and this is were your detonation will become a problem. Look at the 951 headgasket failures they love to eat their way through the edge of the gasket.
John on Long Island
HI JOHN.
THE TIMMING IS NO PROBLEM, 2 GASKETS IS A POTENTIAL PROBLEM BUT, WHEN YOU USE A SPACER WITHIN THE 2 WIDE FIRE RING GASKETS AND YOU LET THE COOLANT FLOW BETWEEN THE 2 GASKETS AROUND THE BORE AREA YOU HAVE NO ISSUE AT LEAST I DONT AND I RUN 1,6 BAR AND SOMETIMES 2.0 WITH RACING FUEL 110 OCT.
Old 01-03-2012 | 04:08 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default MULTILAYER 3 MM

Originally Posted by d993
John,
You're right, the timing issue will come up, but it can be compensated for.
Also, I was suggesting a single "multi-layered" SS head gasket (about 3mm), NOT multiple stock head gaskets, which would make it hard to seal properly for long-term use.
3 MM IS 1MM TOO SHORT CR WILL GO TO ABOUT 9.3:1 I M SAFE WITH 8,3:1
Old 01-03-2012 | 05:04 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey DEMITRIOS, do you have trouble READING ENGLISH, or just typing it?

SHOW YOUR CAR AND YOUR DYNO SHEETS! GIVE US A RUNDOWN ON WHAT YOU HAVE DONEor shut the HELL up!

Welcome to Rennlist!

STOP TYPING IN BIG LETTERS DUMBASS!

your friend,

E
Old 01-03-2012 | 05:52 AM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default gear ratio

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Hi Demetrios, what gearbox and final drive ratios to get 307km/h @ 7000rpm?
A stock european 91 turbo s tranny
check in you tube under porsche 944 turbo 3L 16valve tec3r(.the speedo is 8 km too long) i tested the car for fuel triming
Old 01-03-2012 | 06:57 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by DEMETRIOS
YOU HAVE NO ISSUE AT LEAST I DONT AND I RUN 1,6 BAR
Would you mind telling us what ignition timing value you have at peak torque?
Also, how do you monitor knock activity?

Any problem with the front of the car lifting off above 300km/h?
Old 01-03-2012 | 08:18 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I saw 280, at best, on the video, which AT best is 174, BUT on the stock factory speedo, which we all know is egregiously over optimistic. Nice Village People stache though!
Old 01-03-2012 | 09:25 AM
Thom
Race Car

Since the needle in the speedo will top up at 291 km/h, I think the figure of 307 km/h announced is measured with a GPS.
According to gearing diagram, 305 km/h makes 7200 rpm on the standard 951 gearing with stock tires.
I suppose Demetrios is running 18" wheels/tires?
Old 01-03-2012 | 04:31 PM
DEMETRIOS
Rennlist Member

Default capitol lettes

Originally Posted by ehall
they are both CORRECT AND YOU NEED very much TO STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPITOL LETTERS! It is considered YELLING! STOP YELLING AT US...and we'll happily start helping you.

You might try reading all of the posts from both of these guys. They REALLY know what they are talking about! Welcome to Rennlist!
I've served the US navy from 1980 till 1985 aboard the USS THORN,so i don't seek any US aid.My first porsche i got back in 1980 in N.Y city (911S) and ever since i've changed two 924 turbos and two 951 (one i use at present).I did all the conversions by my self and i think i 've gathered some knowledge.
As far as the capitol letters its my mistake ,but you remind me an American Iranian in the youtube who had the same neurosis with capitol letters.

Quick Reply: THE 3.0 Liter Turbo Thread