Want to buy a 968 in California

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:54 PM
CR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy a 968 in California

Hello everyone,

I'm am on the lookout to buy a 968 in California. Out of state does not work because the car must be inspected first here in California in order for me to get my loan. So, I'm on the lookout.

If you here of anything, would you please advise me.

I'm really looking to get a 94-95 coupe, color doesn't really matter at this point, I would prefer partial leather if possible (but I'm not to picky on this), under 100K miles with records. 17 or 18 inch rims would be a plus.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

CR
Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost every US car will have partial leather, so that's not a problem. Buy on condition, the changes year to year are invisible to the driving experience, most are cosmetic only. The LSD changed, the refridgerant changed, most everything else is cosmetic changes year to year. I'd rather have a mint 92 than a tatty 94. People are divided on 18's, some say they tramline too much and put undue stress on the suspension components-Porsche never qualified these for 968's.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:27 PM
CR
Instructor

Damian,

Thanks for your reply and info. I've done most of my homework on these cars by reading what seems to be every thread here on rennlist and 968.net. I agree about buying reguarding condition. The only reason I limit myself to 94 and newer is that I can get a car loan for those years. Any older and I cannot through my bank (at least the bank I want to go through).

I understand about the 18's and the added stress. I don't feel that my driving style and relatively short commute to work (5 minutes) will hurt things too much, but I know I would run the risk.

Do you have a side picture of your car, like your avatar, that is larger. I've searched all over and can't seem to find a nice side shot of your car that is bigger than your avatar.

Thanks again,

CR
Old 08-31-2004, 10:40 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

CR, do a search on this forum for 'pics of Damian's 968' it'll bring you right there. For some reason I can't link it. I'll have some new pictures taken in the next couple of weeks after the Big Reds go on . . .
Old 08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
CR
Instructor

Damian,

Thanks, that worked. Man, I have searched and searched, too, and never seen those. Looks great.

Was your previous car a coupe? How do you like the difference with the cab? I kind of feel like a coupe looks a lot meaner than the cab, but the cabs are still nice and have the bonus of top down fun, which I've never had.

I was looking at a 95 cab, polar silver with new black top, every maintenance record since new, and all recent maintenance, including belts, waterpump,pinion bearing replaced, tensioners replaced, variocam in good condition and 18" turbo twists. All stock other than wheels. The only kicker is that its got 114,000 miles on it. Asking 17,900. What do you think about that?

Thanks for your replies and help so far, I appreciate it.

CR
Old 09-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Sacramento, I'd go cab, unless you plan to do DE's and the like. You may want to make sure you can replace the 18's, several cab owners bought them only to get rid of them. Polar Silver is one of THE colors for 968's, and black interior is best for replacing bits or upgrades-Club Sport steering wheel is almost always found in black.

I had a 968 coupe previously, really liked it, but I enjoy the cab much more. The car isn't as tight, but not by as huge a margin as you may think. Porsche spent two years working with ASC to engineer stiffness in the structure-contemporary press reports always mention how the car lost little in chassis integrity. Close to 120k miles for me would be risky, by the time you drive the car for a couple of years you won't have much residual money left in it. Given the choice I'd wait a year or two until you could spend more, if you're budget driven.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:12 AM
CR
Instructor

Damian,

I hate being patient, but I guess I have to. If I could find a car in the year I specified and in Cal., I'd have a pretty nice budget to work with.

So do you think the 95 cab is high at 17,900? I was kind of thinking along the lines that it would be better to buy a car that is super clean with all maintenance done and accounted for rather than a lower mileage car that hasn't had its share of maintenance yet for a higher price. From what I've read, these engines seem to last quite some time if properly maintained.

I don't know, maybe I want a car so bad I'm trying to justify it.

Thanks again,

CR
Old 09-01-2004, 09:15 AM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CR
I'm am on the lookout to buy a 968 in California.
CR
Check out cars.com They have a nice looking '95 cab listed in Irvine CA 92618

35K miles, $18,999

Last edited by grants_968; 09-01-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
flash968
Banned

i looked at that car for someone else - pretty rough - seats are trashed, front end missing grille - problem in alternator - paint rubbed to death and actually down to primer on a couple of edges

it id have a new top and it did run well - car was a tip

it has been there for a long time and he is desperate to sell though

drop me an email - we'll find you a car
Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 AM
CR
Instructor

Flash,

Yeah, I remember reading that that car was a little rough. And no tiptronic for me, only 6-speed.

Thanks for the help.

Let the search begin!!!

CR
Old 09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

CR,
I also live in Sacramento, bought my 968 last yr (94 with just under 27K now) and no I'm not selling - Did you check Autotrader - there was a Horizon blue coupe 6 speed listed in the east bay area, low mileage IIRC.
Sam

Last edited by EEZATOY; 09-01-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:47 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the Bay Area, keep an eye out on craigslist -- its very active for Porsches there (though there isn't any 968 listed at the moment).
Old 09-01-2004, 08:45 PM
CR
Instructor

Joseph,

Yes, I've been checking craigslist every day, but haven't seen a 968 pop up yet. But you're right, there is a lot of porsche action on there, I was kind of surprised.

Eezatoy,

I did see that horizon blue coupe, but at the time I was trying to negotiate for a coupe up in Washington that I wanted more. But the out of state thing proved to be a major glitch. I'm not too crazy about horizon blue, even though it is considered to be a great color. But at this point, I'll look at just about anything.

Thanks guys,

CR
Old 09-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Trust me, Horizon Blue is incredible. Think of it as a silvery blue, whereas Polar Silver is a bluish silver.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:51 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you're looking for a 94-95 coupe, but there is a Cobalt Blue 92 coupe in the Rennlist classifeds (located in Alameda) and an old ad for a 92 cab in PCA-GGR website.

Quick Reply: Want to buy a 968 in California