968 Forum 1992-1995

More updates on the SY coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:34 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default More updates on the SY coupe

Went for a drive with Damian and Cris(Smuck007) yesterday between 1:30 and 3:30pm. It was a blast and Damian was really pushing it at times. I am impressed by his ability to drive that car.
Got home around 4:30 and decided to swap the timing/balance shaft belts/rollers. Nice to see that I could perform the complete task in a total of 4.5 hrs now. This includes raising the car and putting it up on jackstands. So all in all, there is hope for us DIYers .
Even though the belts were decent, they were 6 yrs old and had 45K on them. The rollers were turning too freely so I swapped those as well. Swapped out the exhaust and tip (now I have the older style rolled tip which I love).
Dropped the car maximum for M030 by turning the ecentric bolt. Removed rear swaybar and lubed all parts/pieces and reinstalled.
She is finally coming together!
Next weekend, will be seats swap and transmission swap. I migth fit in new plug wires/plugs/distributor cap and rotor sometime during the week. I also have to swap out a part for the drivers side lock as the plastic section is broken, so that will get done later today.
By the end of july the car should be setup to the way I want it and everything functional. Man, I am looking for excuses to go driving now .
Regards.
Raj
Old 07-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a fun ride, I know some of those turns pretty well so I could push a little harder than you guys. We drove through some of the nicest areas of Jersey, King Hussein of Jordan's estate being quite a nice crib-I think it's 500 acres, with a giant house that looks small because it was so far up a hill!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:57 AM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raj,

It was great meeting you and Damian again (and seeing two speed yellow 968s! []. Can you explain the ecentric bolt in the rear ? If I get to it, when will I know I've hit the maximum?

In case I chicken out, do you think Old Bridge Tire will be able to do the job? They're really close to where I live. Thanks!

-chris
Old 07-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

It's guys like you that make me sick!!! (j/k)

Seriously though...congrats...sounds like you're having wayyy to much fun.

Trevors old car is on it's way to me - finally.

Looking to share more info!

Old 07-04-2004, 12:08 PM
SMuCK007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh one more thing Raj,

Did you see the X5 trying to chase you down when we were on the highway (After I passed up?)

It was pretty funny to see!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:35 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Chris I missed that completely When was that?
Its very easy. Once you have the car on stands, give me a call. I will send you a PM with my phone number. Its a piece of cake. You should get your alignment done but if I was you, I would do the front and back and then get it aligned at Oldbridge tire. You can do the back yourself and have them swapout the springs for you or have them do it all.
Jay, that is great news!!!
So everything worked out?
Raj
Old 07-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is Trev getting another car??
Old 07-04-2004, 10:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Nah, he is keeping his NA and will be modding that over time. He is done with 968s for the time being. His car will be in very good hands though. Jay will be turbo-charging it using a low compression high boost setup.
Raj
Old 07-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by 968TurboS
Nah, he is keeping his NA and will be modding that over time. He is done with 968s for the time being. His car will be in very good hands though. Jay will be turbo-charging it using a low compression high boost setup.
Raj
Shhh...oops...cats out of the bag...oh well.

I will say this - the initial reports indicate that the interior/exterior conditions are well above average - well, actually the comments are very high (kudos to Trevor!).

Mechanically - I will only have to deal with an A/C compressor that apparently has decided it would rather be a boat anchor and a resistor switch that has decided that it really want to live in a landfill.

That being said - can't wait for the car to get here just to see what it's like before I take it down the route of an 8V turbo application.

Last edited by Jay Wellwood; 07-05-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:25 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Ooops, sorry Jay. I should have stayed quiet .
Raj

Quick Reply: More updates on the SY coupe