Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 RAdio and Booster Replacement Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2024, 02:26 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like you really need to nail down what you have and what you don't, and that will take some detective work. For example, is the original amp even still there? If you can't see any better than I could you might have to pull the seat just to find out. And if it is there, do you want to reuse it if it still works, or leave it bypassed, or install something different? In the current configuration, are all the speakers even working? If so, some are probably tied together, or some other amplification is in there somewhere since the wiring diagram you provided only supports 4 channels. There's multiple paths forward, it depends on what you really want to do. There no one size fits all answer.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:02 PM
GregAmy
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by guywitha968
Seems like you really need to nail down what you have and what you don't...
From everything I've seen on this car, its prior owners were lazy, and they did shoddy hackage work (see other threads here and on Pelican where I found wiring harnesses hacked together with home wire nuts...yes, wire nuts...the radio I replaced was wired in with that high-tech connection product).

I'd be shocked (SHOCKED, I say!) if they went to any kind of trouble to remove any existing equipment and all they wanted was a CD player. I'll wager a dollar to a donut that everything else is still there and all they did was hook up the speakers.

Working on that assumption...what do I need to do to hook up the (hopefully) existing amp and leverage it as well as all the speakers (and hopefully-existing sub)?

What do I want? A better sounding audio system. I don't need Carnegie Hall but I'd like something better than a tin bucket. - GA

Edit: like this one... https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...l#post19458073

Edit, Part Deaux: I stuck my face back under the seats and I did spot, under both seats, small finned units toward the from of the seats. Guessing 2" x 4" or so? Can't get my hands on them through the bracketry, but it does seem like there's wiring going to them, maybe even a DIN plug connector.

Last edited by GregAmy; 08-22-2024 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:23 PM
GregAmy
Intermediate

(Edited to reflect actual observed wiring)

To clarify the answer to your question about what is hooked up now, see my #35 post above for the diagram.

The "circle 2" from the Alpine (I used a 4-pin Deutsch connector):
Alpine --- Car -- Purpose
Black (15) -- Black (Pin 1) -- Chassis ground
Red (13) -- Green (Pin 2) -- Ignition power
Blue (10) -- Red/Black (Pin 4) -- Antenna power
Yellow (14) -- Red (Pin 5) -- Battery 12V
Not Connected -- Brown/Blue (Pin 6) -- "Control Unit Alarm System"
Blue/White (11) -- not connected -- amplifier power on
Orange (12) -- not connected -- Instrument cluster lighting

"Circles 6, 7, 8" are front output RCA, rear output RCA, and Subwoofer output RCA, respectively; none are currently connected.

The "circle 9" (antenna) is plugged in, along with the "circle 4" microphone plug (hands-free cellphone).
"Circle 1" is Sirius input, unplugged and unneeded

Per the wiring diagram, the amplifier(s) is(are) powered on with the key and does not need that signal from the head (it uses the same power sources as head pins 2 and 5 above).

So, assuming it's all there, then maybe I unplug the speaker connector and use your adapter to go to the RCA jacks? Or, maybe just cut off the DIN plug and re-terminate (are those wires color-coded in that jacket?) - GA

Edit: there's also this that can be used to make an adapter, $30: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...642-209-01-OEM

Last edited by GregAmy; 08-22-2024 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 05:58 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts

The DIN plug will go to the amplifiers, wiring from amps will go to speakers. It is possible, even likely, that a prior owner hacked up the wiring under the seats at the amplifiers. That is the case with my car, although the manner in which they hacked it up allows for a working audio system. At some point after the car comes back from fire repair (that's a whole other story), I plan on attempting to add a PCCM unit and place wiring back in factory order. Not a fan of hacks. Much better to understand what was done from the factory and create adapters where needed if adding aftermarket gear. (Rant over)
Old 08-22-2024, 07:23 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GregAmy
(Edited to reflect actual observed wiring)
The "circle 2" from the Alpine (I used a 4-pin Deutsch connector):
I am not familiar with a "Deutsch" connector. Perhaps you can drop in a picture of the wired connector that you have plugged in to (2). Since you have nothing plugged into (6), (7) or (8) then you need at least 8 wires to drive the 4 speaker channels in addition to the ones you identified so a 4-pin connector can't cover that need and you lost me on that one.

I also don't know that you can trust assuming it is all there. For example, there is no subwoofer in the system by default, so that amp is not likely there. Typically if you have amps out there somewhere (being used), they would require connections to (6), (7) or (8). So whatever boxes you see may very well be amps, I would have to assume they are not being used.

Old 08-22-2024, 10:07 PM
GregAmy
Intermediate

I am not familiar with a "Deutsch" connector.
Just a brand of weatherproof electrical connectors, like Ampseal, Amphenol, Waytech, Metri-Pack, and such. Not relevant to the general discussion.

Example:
https://www.te.com/en/products/conne...onnectors.html

Are you willing to offer a built DIN adapter? If not, I can build one.

Thanks! - GA

Old 08-23-2024, 08:41 AM
guywitha968
Intermediate

Sure, be glad to. I'll see if I can get that done over the weekend.
Old 08-24-2024, 10:12 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

All done, this one looks a bit better than my debug "prototype". PM me your address and I'll send it to you. Just keep in mind, your system as I understand it at this point, will need updates at the amp(s) as well, this adapter only gets you part of the way there.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:04 AM
GregAmy
Intermediate

Just keep in mind, your system as I understand it at this point, will need updates at the amp(s) as well, this adapter only gets you part of the way there.
Wicked cool thanks! PM inbound...

My expectation is to ensure the amps are powered and that they are receiving the audio signal for front and rear via this adapter. I do not see any wiring hackage under the seats, nor any under teh dash. And, per the factory wiring diagram, the power to the amps should be there.* The plan is to take this adapter and connected between the Alpine F and R speaker connections, remove the 8-pin speaker wire adapter from the Alpine, and see if I get any audio.

If the amps are there, and the wiring is there, and the speakers are there, what updates do you expect I would need? - GA

* Per the diagram, the keyed power for the system goes to the right amp first, then splits off at the amp and goes to the head via the red wire. I have power at the head to that wire so I'm confident that the amp is getting power too. Further, per the diagram the ground wire for the amp splits off at the factory 6-pin radio connector and goes back to the amp; I have visually identified there are two brown wires at that connection, again supporting confidence the amp is grounded.

My only unknown is why the 8-wires for the speakers directly to the radio still exist in the center console. Best guess is that both systems use a common wiring harness and the options simply required the production team to install and connect the correct components. As an engineer, that's how I would have done it.

I guess we'll find out...
Old 08-25-2024, 02:20 PM
guywitha968
Intermediate

If the amps are there, and the wiring is there, and the speakers are there, what updates do you expect I would need? - GA
Best guess is that both systems use a common wiring harness and the options simply required the production team to install and connect the correct components. As an engineer, that's how I would have done it.
I am skeptical that all the original speaker connections will still be connected as they were from the factory, and that the wires from the speakers are connected to both the Alpine output at (2) and the factory amp outputs simultaneously. But as you say, you will find out with your test plan. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 968 RAdio and Booster Replacement Advice Needed