968 Forum 1992-1995

968 RAdio and Booster Replacement Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
guywitha968
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 RAdio and Booster Replacement Advice Needed

My CD player stopped working a long time ago in the CD-2 and I decided I could live without that feature. But today the front sound went out and turned to static. The sound in the rear is still there. Oddly, this noise continues when I turn off the radio, it continues to crackle when the car isn't even running! To make it quit I had to pull the Booster Fuse. This seems to me to be saying the booster is what went belly up. I could live without the CD player, but no sound at all won't cut it. So since it appears I need a new booster (or get the original repaired if that is at all possible), I might as well replace the head unit also and restore CD function. In fact, I'd like to add MP3 playback and either AUX and/or Bluetooth input as well at this point.

I can most likely, eventually, figure it all out. But if someone has a step-by-step for pulling all the old and putting in the new (pictures being a bonus), that would sure make the job easier. For example, I don't even know where the booster is located so knowing even that would be a helpful start!

It would also be nice to get a recommendation or 2 about what to put in for replacements. I really prefer to reuse the existing wires, and as far as I know right now, the speakers are working fine so I don't really want to tear into the doors and the back speaker locations, I just want to restore a functional system.

I'm looking forward to some good advice to make this job easier!

Thanks
GM

Last edited by guywitha968; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Look at the Classic Porsche radio.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old Today, 12:24 AM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by guywitha968
My CD player stopped working a long time ago in the CD-2 and I decided I could live without that feature. But today the front sound went out and turned to static. The sound in the rear is still there. Oddly, this noise continues when I turn off the radio, it continues to crackle when the car isn't even running! To make it quit I had to pull the Booster Fuse. This seems to me to be saying the booster is what went belly up. I could live without the CD player, but no sound at all won't cut it. So since it appears I need a new booster (or get the original repaired if that is at all possible), I might as well replace the head unit also and restore CD function. In fact, I'd like to add MP3 playback and either AUX and/or Bluetooth input as well at this point.

I can most likely, eventually, figure it all out. But if someone has a step-by-step for pulling all the old and putting in the new (pictures being a bonus), that would sure make the job easier. For example, I don't even know where the booster is located so knowing even that would be a helpful start!

It would also be nice to get a recommendation or 2 about what to put in for replacements. I really prefer to reuse the existing wires, and as far as I know right now, the speakers are working fine so I don't really want to tear into the doors and the back speaker locations, I just want to restore a functional system.

I'm looking forward to some good advice to make this job easier!

Thanks
GM
How involved do you want to get with it? How much experience do you have with that sort of work?

TBH, I was a sound guy for 30 years and did wiring for a living. When I wanted CD player, I looked up a XM radio on Crutchfeld and took it to a really good sound shop.
I bought the 2005 version of this, only with a CD and XM radio. I like that this is just BT. It’s a lot easier just using your phone and it gives you hands free phone op, too.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE...T.html?tp=5684
Old Today, 08:51 AM
guywitha968
AutoX

I have installed multiple car units in the past although the last time was around 25 years back. In this case I only want to replace what doesn't work and reuse everything I can. So finding something that is compatible with the wiring would be my first choice, if that can be found.

I'll keep the one you mentioned in mind although that one doesn't play CDs, so it doesn't meet my initial requirements so it's not a first choice.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Today, 08:53 AM
guywitha968
AutoX

Originally Posted by Yogii
Look at the Classic Porsche radio.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Where would I find this unit?
-g
Old Today, 11:45 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor...ghlights/pccm/

-Y
Old Today, 01:11 PM
guywitha968
AutoX

Ah interesting, but way more updates than I have in mind.. Thanks but I'll pass on this one!
-g

Quick Reply: 968 RAdio and Booster Replacement Advice Needed