968 Cabriolet, understanding rear seats issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 08:36 AM
TheDiyMechanic
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Cabriolet, understanding rear seats issue

Hi!
Just got a 93' cabriolet imported from the US (I'm from Israel)
it has no rear seats, but rather a mid-sized bar going from one side to another.
I wonder if it was converted sometime in its past life or it is was like that from the factory.
couldn't find any more information online, but just saw that all coupes had rear seats, and not all cabrio had them.
thanks in advance for any information given.
I add a photo of mine, and also a link to an ad I saw where there ARE rear seats in cabrio:
https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/p...order_bucket=4

Old 06-12-2024, 04:16 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

That's factory correct for a US-market cabrio. The 968 wasn't able to meet the US's requirement for three-point seatbelts, so this was the workaround; Mercedes and (I think) Jaguar had similar issues.

And congrats on the new acquisition!
Old 06-12-2024, 05:04 PM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Bar is handy for keeping your groceries on the shelf, or fixing a leash.

The following users liked this post:
JimmyB (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 10:48 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Plus the bar looks cool......

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 06-13-2024, 01:06 PM
TheDiyMechanic
5th Gear

Thanks everyone!
I don't want to create another thread so...
(it's not mine but it looks the same)
the temperature gauge is about that high with the AC on (it's very hot here - 38 C [AROUND 100 F])
without the AC it drops a bit to the middle between the second and third line.
is it ok? or should it be lower?
thanks.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:25 PM
TheDiyMechanic
5th Gear

I tried post a new comment but it doesn't work..
anyway, lets try again, I don't want to open a new thread.
for the temperature gauge, is it ok for the indicator to be just a little under the third line? with the AC on (and it's hot outside - 38c\100f) it's just a little under the third line. without the AC on - it's around the middle between the 2nd and the 3rd.
thanks.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:41 AM
dlearl476
Racer

Originally Posted by TheDiyMechanic
I tried post a new comment but it doesn't work..
anyway, lets try again, I don't want to open a new thread.
for the temperature gauge, is it ok for the indicator to be just a little under the third line? with the AC on (and it's hot outside - 38c\100f) it's just a little under the third line. without the AC on - it's around the middle between the 2nd and the 3rd.
thanks.
That’s pretty hot, tbh. Not terrible but it doesn’t leave any room for error. Push it over that line and you risk blowing a head gasket. I’d watch it like a hawk when it’s that hot.

From my experience a couple of things to check: make sure your cap on your overflow reservoir is in working condition (really. I chased an “overheating” problem for a year and that’s what it was.) Also, make sure both your fans switches are working properly. I had one go out on mine a couple of years ago and it made the car run hotter.

FWIW, Mine, with a new fan switch and thermostat, runs up to the middle until the thermostat opens when it drops down to just above the bottom line. Without ac and cooler ambient temps than you.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:26 AM
TheDiyMechanic
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dlearl476
That’s pretty hot, tbh. Not terrible but it doesn’t leave any room for error. Push it over that line and you risk blowing a head gasket. I’d watch it like a hawk when it’s that hot.

From my experience a couple of things to check: make sure your cap on your overflow reservoir is in working condition (really. I chased an “overheating” problem for a year and that’s what it was.) Also, make sure both your fans switches are working properly. I had one go out on mine a couple of years ago and it made the car run hotter.

FWIW, Mine, with a new fan switch and thermostat, runs up to the middle until the thermostat opens when it drops down to just above the bottom line. Without ac and cooler ambient temps than you.
thanks.
one of the fans is not working. it is a problem with that relay:

\
from searching online, it cost like a kidney... anything else we can do about it?
Old 06-14-2024, 01:32 PM
dlearl476
Racer

These are pricy but they’re solid state so you’ll probably never have another issue. Plus, they have built in diagnostics.
https://www.ftech9.com/new-products/...nandvtb66x27i0
Old 06-14-2024, 01:44 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476
These are pricy but they’re solid state so you’ll probably never have another issue. Plus, they have built in diagnostics.
https://www.ftech9.com/new-products/...nandvtb66x27i0

FWIW-I am very happy with mine. Great for "peace of mind".

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
dlearl476 (07-27-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 02:57 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDiyMechanic
Hi!
Just got a 93' cabriolet imported from the US (I'm from Israel)
it has no rear seats, but rather a mid-sized bar going from one side to another.
I wonder if it was converted sometime in its past life or it is was like that from the factory.
couldn't find any more information online, but just saw that all coupes had rear seats, and not all cabrio had them.
thanks in advance for any information given.
I add a photo of mine, and also a link to an ad I saw where there ARE rear seats in cabrio:
You can easily add the rear seats, especially on a 1993. I did. See pic. The seatbelt nuts are still in the floor under the carpet. Contact me for more details. Be sure to check out 968register.org

Jeff

Ufnavy06 (07-26-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 11:04 PM
mjd23
4th Gear

Default Distance between seat nuts

Hi Jeff.

I would like to add lap belts to my 1995 cabrio 968. The weld nuts on the sides are there to attach the cubby. But, the weld nuts are not attached in the middle area. Would you be willing to measure the distance from one of the sides to the middle bolt location? I would like it to be somewhat close to the stock location. I don’t have a full rear seat like yours where the thru holes in the seat would be nice locating features. I have two “seat pads” leaving the seat back and middle as carpet (see pic).

Thank you in advance and no worries if you can’t get to it.

Matt

Quick Reply: 968 Cabriolet, understanding rear seats issue