968 Forum 1992-1995

Performance chip test.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Allen Wiggs
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance chip test.

What was the outcome of the performance chips tested by 9 Magazine? I have recently subscribed, but I don't think the results will be in my first issue.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:41 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has this been published? I thought it was all a lot of hot air, or perhaps a chance for someone to get some free chips.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:35 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That has to be the understatement of the year, lol.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:41 PM
flash968
Banned

this has been a very difficult process - most chip companies do not want their chips tested - setting this up so as to avoid litigation has been complicated - convincing the participating chip companies that the test will be fair and unbiased has been more so

now that my car is back on the ground i can actually schedule dyno time - this has been the biggest pain in the butt - dyno site number one bailed - dyno site number two is a big company with "marketing decisions" - had to actually put together a proposal for them - while i haven't given up on number tow, i've found dyno site number three, and will be talking to them in the morning about scheduling

getting somebody to give me a full day of dyno time for free is no simple task - if you have ideas there of a dyno out here that will offer it up for free for the day, i am more than happy to take the test there

the article is currently scheduled for the cover of the august issue
Old 06-21-2004, 06:50 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Put yourself in thier shoes Flash, they have a business to run which means they need to cover their costs. Having a dyno busy all day is not cheap as you know already, especially if its a respected outfit which you need if any tests are to be credible. Therefore someone has to pay for their time else what have they got to gain other than a bit of advertising, which they probably don't need as they will sell on reputation.

I can also see the issue with the chip manufacturers it could easily make or break their sales as obviously whoever wins will clean up the market place. It really sounds like your on a non starter to be perfectly frank, and on a NASP engine I'd be surprised if there will be much in it between the chips to make any difference in real world driving conditions.

Another concern would be changing chips so quickly, wouldn't the engine need a good run between tests to get true results to allow the settings to take proper effect, I know on the MG ZS180 I had before the 968, I would have to reset the ECU between mods and run it for a good 50 miles plus to allow it to relearn which maps to use based on fuelling and emissions changes. Not to mention variations in temperature and humidity which can also play their part, making any tests very subjective.

Personally I think your on rocky ground with this one buddy.

Mike
Old 06-22-2004, 11:55 AM
flash968
Banned

i completely understand their positions - that has been the uphill struggle

as for the reset issue, i have been looking into this, but have not come up with any definitive information indicating our unit needs to reset - so far, personal experience with a few chips has shown that the change is instantaneous, and no reset seems needed - either that or it happens in a matter of seconds before i can tell a difference

so far, many have come around to agreeing to the test - the dyno site is the last link now and should be resolved in the next day or so

Quick Reply: Performance chip test.