968 Forum 1992-1995

Installing fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:40 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing fuel rail

I removed the fuel rail so that I could move the intake manifold enough to remove/install the brake booster, and now I'm having trouble getting the rail back on properly. The problem is that the rail bottoms on its mounts before the injectors are inserted far enough into it to install the retaining clips. I've tried prying and pulling on them, but I can't get the clips seated right. Am I doing somethind wrong or does anyone have a tip for how to do this?

Thanks everyone,
Tom
Old 05-15-2004, 08:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The way I do it is I install the injectors first through their clips to the fuel rail. I make sure I use silicone spray on all the O'rings and then slide the injectors into the rail.
Do the same for the O'rings on the bottom of the injectors. Then place all the injectors in their holes and clamp the rail down. That should do it.
Raj
Old 05-16-2004, 03:18 AM
IceWater
Instructor

Raj,

Yep, that makes perfect sense. I'll give it a shot first thing tomorrow. Keep answering questions and you'll wind up with a plaque inside my engine compartment.

Tom
Old 05-16-2004, 09:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Old 05-16-2004, 03:43 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Ok, so I did that, put just about everything back together, and tried to start her up. She cranked for quite a while with only sporadic firing. When I looked in the engine compartment, there was fuel on the manifold by the injectors.

It was very difficult to get the injectors into the rail. I had to push it in as far as I could by twisting and rocking back and forth, put the clip on so that only one side of it was engaged on the rail, then give the injector another shove while rocking it towards the unengaged side so that the clip would seat on that side. I managed to do this for all of them, but it seemed like there was an awefull lot of strain on the connection. The when I went to bolt the rail with injectors down, it was difficult to align. After putting in 2 bolts I had to use a small pry bar on the rail to lign up the other 2 bolts. So I guess my question is, is this normal or am I doing something wrong or do I have a bad part in there?

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Old 05-16-2004, 09:42 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Nevermind, one of the o-rings got torn in the process and was leaking. I flipped it around so that the tear is on the low-pressure side and it worked fine. Now, anyone know where I can get a replacement o-ring?

Tom
Old 05-16-2004, 10:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Guess what, its a very easily available part from any auto store. Go to autozone and get a O'ring seal kit. It has all different sizes and the size we need is in there. All of $2 worth.
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:22 PM
IceWater
Instructor

Outstanding. I will definitely do that. Thanks Raj!

Tom
Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

You are very welcome.
The reason I put silicone spray is to avoid the sealing rings from getting crushed.
Raj

Quick Reply: Installing fuel rail