968 Forum 1992-1995

First steps with my new ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 PM
phantomrecords
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First steps with my new ride

I would like to get some experienced advice about what to do to my 93 Triptonic with 178k miles to improve handling and power. Anything that would be fairly straightforward and reasonably inexpensive to do. I also have a non working odometer. The car has been maintained thoroughly, it has all maintenance records and runs and drives good. Three sets of belts and three water pumps last changed 18k ago. Shocks and struts replaced around 20k ago. It was a secretaries car and wasn't driven hard so no extra ordinary efforts needed.
Thanks to all in advance.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:15 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats on your new ride. IMO there is not much you can or need to do to change the performance on our cars (unless you go crazy and add a turbo, etc). I saw a thread here a few days ago about an RS Barn performance chip for sale. That will help a little. When you need new wheels, lighter weight wheels will help a little.
The following users liked this post:
phantomrecords (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 04:54 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 757 Likes on 537 Posts

Not a performance mod, but have you inspected the fuel lines? Those might need replacement.

If you can, take a look at the sway bar bushings. Replacing with stock rubber is probably sufficient, but there may be something that help with the enjoyment of the car, if you refresh some of the stock rubber bits.

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
phantomrecords (09-26-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 12:48 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomrecords
I would like to get some experienced advice about what to do to my 93 Triptonic with 178k miles to improve handling and power. Anything that would be fairly straightforward and reasonably inexpensive to do. I also have a non working odometer. The car has been maintained thoroughly, it has all maintenance records and runs and drives good. Three sets of belts and three water pumps last changed 18k ago. Shocks and struts replaced around 20k ago. It was a secretaries car and wasn't driven hard so no extra ordinary efforts needed.
Thanks to all in advance.
I had a 92 Tippy and just couldn't live with it...so put a 928 Motorsport Stage 1 Supercharger kit on it (thanx Joel) ....it made a huuuuge difference however still couldn't live with the Tippy and noting that the Tippy is a full 1.5 seconds slower in the 0-60mph than a manual trans, so I swapped the Tippy out to a 944 5 speed manual setup. The driving factor was that the rubber flex plate at the engine end was absolutely stuffed and the whole "rig" had to come out anyway....soooo I figured whilst I was there.....!!
Difference in the car is night and day but time and $$ are a deterrent for most. Now some love their autos in their 968' but for me it was a slug and I was always in Tip mode riding the RPM to get it to play like a "Porsche".
Peter

Last edited by oz968; 09-27-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:56 PM
phantomrecords
AutoX

Originally Posted by oz968
I had a 92 Tippy and just couldn't live with it...so put a 928 Motorsport Stage 1 Supercharger kit on it (thanx Joel) ....it made a huuuuge difference however still couldn't live with the Tippy and noting that the Tippy is a full 1.5 seconds slower in the 0-60mph than a manual trans, so I swapped the Tippy out to a 944 5 speed manual setup. The driving factor was that the rubber flex plate at the engine end was absolutely stuffed and the whole "rig" had to come out anyway....soooo I figured whilst I was there.....!!
Difference in the car is night and day but time and $$ are a deterrent for most. Now some love their autos in their 968' but for me it was a slug and I was always in Tip mode riding the RPM to get it to play like a "Porsche".
Peter
I've been keeping the revs up so it will move when I hit the gas. Always in Tip as well.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:56 PM
phantomrecords
AutoX

Originally Posted by oz968
Peter
I've been keeping the revs up so it will move when I hit the gas. Always in Tip as well.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:46 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

"and three water pumps last changed 18k ago. "

Huh???
Belts are also time dependent. Have all the rubber lines checked. As an earlier posted, think about the RSBarn chip.
Have somebody check the torque tube. Better brake pads and sticky rubber always help.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 09-28-2022, 07:55 PM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomrecords
Yep...drove me nuts

Quick Reply: First steps with my new ride