Door card/fastener question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 09:24 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Door card/fastener question...

Hi all,

Thank you for answering my questions in advance of my 968's arrival. It's finally here (as of yesterday) and today I got to take it on a drive through Napa with my PCA club. What a blast—it's much so fun and also surprisingly refined despite being decades old.

I'm going to be doing some paint correction, and also replace some of the rubber trim (like the rocker panel seals—loving @jeff968 's guide on that!). I have a question about door card attachment... My driver's side door card is pulling away just a bit from the door... from the outside if I look straight down on it I can see about 1/2" gap between the top of the door card and the window/seal. The top front edge (near the tweeter) is where I notice the most play when I push it toward the door.

Are there clips in there? If there are, I'm wondering which PNs I would need... also, the driver's side window has 2-3 fairly deep vertical scratches at about the middle of the window. Not sure if that's related, but thought I'd mention that in case that's a known related problem/scenario.

Thank you, I appreciate any thoughts!

Old 06-26-2022, 11:19 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

There aren't any clips at the top of the door panel, just around the back edge and bottom. The only attachment point near there is the door handle. There is a metal 'hook' that attaches to the top of the interior handle (the one you use to pull the door closed from inside) that hooks into a hole in the door. It sounds like that either isn't in its hole in the door or the metal 'hook' is bent causing the play in the panel. If the latter, and the hook is bent, that could explain the scratches in the window glass. As for the gap between the door panel and glass, that could also be caused from a PO slamming the door closed over time causing the inner door skin to stretch and bend. It wouldn't be the first door I've seen like this. Unfortunately, once the door skins get bent there isn't any easy way to fix them.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:32 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Thank you, @royalschwarz that's very helpful! I'll go in and check it out.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:20 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 729 Likes on 514 Posts

One of the other things you can do, if you're so inclined,is to coat the inside of the door cards with fiberglass resin, without the fiberglass. On the 928, this is a pretty well known fix to keep door cards alive a little longer and protect them from water. I guess that if you could clamp things down well you might also be able to take out some bow or deformation via judicious addition of resin (and maybe some fiberglass, in this case).

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
CPL55 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 09:55 AM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
One of the other things you can do, if you're so inclined,is to coat the inside of the door cards with fiberglass resin, without the fiberglass. On the 928, this is a pretty well known fix to keep door cards alive a little longer and protect them from water. I guess that if you could clamp things down well you might also be able to take out some bow or deformation via judicious addition of resin (and maybe some fiberglass, in this case).

Good luck
I've owned 7 968s since 1996 and have never had any water issues with the door panels. I think they had the sealing pretty much figured out by then. There is also a piece of clear plastic under the door panel.

I agree with the other comments

CPL55 (06-27-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 12:45 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
There is also a piece of clear plastic under the door panel.
Of all the cars I've seen and taken apart, every rotted door panel had that plastic taken off at some prior point. If that plastic is still intact, so are the door panels.
CPL55 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 04:09 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

The self adhesive plastic sheet die cut is still available at Porsche. Seems to me around $25. Also get a new rectangular black foam seal that goes around door handle as these have turned to dust by now and cheap.

Also on the installation side there are two IIRC metal tabs that when you initially put the door panel on and over the door lock **** you have to be pushing the top towards the glass....otherwise if you miss these tabs initially in the down motion of putting the panel on you will get a larger gap at the top and a noticeable view from the outside looking down. All other things will attach as expected but no way to reduce this gap until panel nearly completely pulled back up and off.

Lot of these cars have noticeable scratches on drivers window, which I attribute to grit getting into the felt wiper and causing this as well as cars that are not garage kept for long periods the sun dries this rubber/felt wiper and dries it out sooner than others. This rubber/felt wiper is also still available new and I would replace before you replace the window. Typically these scratches are not from mechanical interference inside the door but from salt/sand/road grit IMHO.
CPL55 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 12:23 AM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

this is fabulously helpful, @jsheiry , thank you!!

Does anyone happen to know the PN for that rubber window scraper/wiper part that wipes the window when it goes up and down?

Originally Posted by jsheiry
The self adhesive plastic sheet die cut is still available at Porsche. Seems to me around $25. Also get a new rectangular black foam seal that goes around door handle as these have turned to dust by now and cheap.

Also on the installation side there are two IIRC metal tabs that when you initially put the door panel on and over the door lock **** you have to be pushing the top towards the glass....otherwise if you miss these tabs initially in the down motion of putting the panel on you will get a larger gap at the top and a noticeable view from the outside looking down. All other things will attach as expected but no way to reduce this gap until panel nearly completely pulled back up and off.

Lot of these cars have noticeable scratches on drivers window, which I attribute to grit getting into the felt wiper and causing this as well as cars that are not garage kept for long periods the sun dries this rubber/felt wiper and dries it out sooner than others. This rubber/felt wiper is also still available new and I would replace before you replace the window. Typically these scratches are not from mechanical interference inside the door but from salt/sand/road grit IMHO.

Last edited by CPL55; 06-30-2022 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:55 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 136 Posts

This is my favorite on line part number tool. Credit AutoAtlanta. The parts prices are not the best but the online catalog tool is simple.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p..._968_parts.php
CPL55 (06-30-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 02:32 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jsheiry

I would up cutting my own on my laser cutter. Took some measurements of the one that was toast, made a pattern, and blammo. T'was one of the first things I did after getting my laser.
And I could cut them for way less than $20 each....

Quick Reply: Door card/fastener question...