Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Fuel pressure (with car off) changes with temp - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 06:24 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fuel pressure (with car off) changes with temp - normal?

Here's an odd one for the group. I have a 1992 Porsche 968 with a permanently mounted fuel gauge installed on the fuel rail. A few times I've noticed the car showing full pressure (55-60psi) when the car was not running and hadn't been started recently. At other times, the pressure was down to zero.

I started watching the gauge more closely over a weekend and found that in the morning/evenings with cool (70-80F) temps, the pressure was down at zero. As the temperature starts to rise (or fall) the gauge will read partial pressure (15-25psi). At the hottest part of the day, the gauge will read 55-60 psi). Again, all of this occurs without the keys being anywhere near the car or even a door being opened.

So - my question is - is it normal for the pressure in the fuel rail to change with ambient temperature without the car being started?
Old 06-13-2022, 07:48 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 729 Likes on 514 Posts

I would think that's pretty normal. All liquids will expand (more expansion = higher pressure, until it bleeds off over time) as temperature rises and in Houston, in a black car, the temperatures under the hood are bound to get pretty toasty, even if the car hasn't been running. Heck, you probably don't even have to be in the sun much to get some nice temperature swings in that engine bay as the day starts to warm up.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2022, 11:21 PM
dbonds
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
I would think that's pretty normal. All liquids will expand (more expansion = higher pressure, until it bleeds off over time) as temperature rises and in Houston, in a black car, the temperatures under the hood are bound to get pretty toasty, even if the car hasn't been running. Heck, you probably don't even have to be in the sun much to get some nice temperature swings in that engine bay as the day starts to warm up.

Cheers
yeah, I knew about the basics of fluid thermodynamics, was just curious if there was a design to bleed off excess pressure, but guessing that'd be an issue when it's actually running so not surprising if there isn't.

The car is parked in a garage/metal shop, fairly well shaded, but NOT climate controlled (yet). Still gets AS hot as ambient temp in there, but thankfully not any higher. Just hoping it wasn't putting stress on fuel lines or anything like that. Will have to check it out when I finally get AC in there, OR we get to winter, whichever comes first. ;-)

Old 06-14-2022, 02:16 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by dbonds
yeah, I knew about the basics of fluid thermodynamics, was just curious if there was a design to bleed off excess pressure
The fuel pressure regulator, when functioning properly, will only allow a system pressure that is slightly higher (due to atmospheric pressure balance on the diaphragm) than system design pressure.
The following users liked this post:
dbonds (06-14-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 09:14 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it, most cars are designed to maintain fuel pressure in the rail with installed check valves. That way the fuel pump doesn't have to re-pressurize the system every time you start it which can lead to hard starts. The pressure won't damage anything.
The following users liked this post:
dbonds (06-14-2022)

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure (with car off) changes with temp - normal?