968 Forum 1992-1995

Merging two cars into one

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 10:19 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Merging two cars into one

It can't be that hard, can it? Take an engine from one car and put it into another car? This summer I'm going to find out.

I've got one good 93 coupe that was bought without an engine. Was going to be a parts car for my 92 coupe but it's in too good of shape to part out. Fast forward 6 months and now I've got a 92 cab with an engine but it's wrecked. Hard. So can this feasibly be done in time to make one good car out of two bad cars in time to drive it this year? I guess we'll all find out. I'm about to dive into the cab and start taking it apart to see what kind of damage it has and we'll go from there. I hope this is going to be worth it.

The good 93 coupe:

The wrecked 92 cab:

I do not know the story of the accident but suffice it to say it was hit hard. Both frame rails are bent at the strut towers. The hood is still straight. That's how far it's been pushed over.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:34 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 151 Posts

If you do part it out, and you have a "tape holder" in black in good shape. I would be interested.
Thanks,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 04-26-2022, 03:45 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like the rocker (cam) cover is cracked around the front
Just hope it hasn't damaged the rocker gear
Spare parts to abound ...
Still a big job but loads of fun along the way.
Peter
Old 04-26-2022, 10:01 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

What a shame for that recessed hood badge hood. Did it jump up and out of the way of damage ? Look closely where engine mount bosses bolt to block and hope nothing is cracked at block. Thats a fairly hard shift of the frame rails.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:06 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Originally Posted by Yogii
If you do part it out, and you have a "tape holder" in black in good shape. I would be interested.
Thanks,

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Are you referring to the armrest thing? If so, it's broken. I don't think I've ever seen a good used one. Pretty sure they're relatively inexpensive new (or were).

Originally Posted by oz968
Looks like the rocker (cam) cover is cracked around the front
Just hope it hasn't damaged the rocker gear
Spare parts to abound ...
Still a big job but loads of fun along the way.
Peter
I took the cover off to inspect the belts before buying this car so that's on me. However, two of the bolts did not come out clean as the magnesium has swollen over time. It was intact before I touched it and it crumbled into pieces removing it. Need to find one (or a few) to put onto this car and my other 968 which is also cracked. Anyone know who makes the aluminum replacements?
Old 04-26-2022, 10:32 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Yikes. That cab has a "someone ran a red light" look about it - I wonder if it was the cab or the other guy?

Yogii - mine's in reasonable shape from what I recall, let me dig it out of the basement and send you some pics.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:00 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by royalschwarz
Are you referring to the armrest thing? If so, it's broken. I don't think I've ever seen a good used one. Pretty sure they're relatively inexpensive new (or were).

I took the cover off to inspect the belts before buying this car so that's on me. However, two of the bolts did not come out clean as the magnesium has swollen over time. It was intact before I touched it and it crumbled into pieces removing it. Need to find one (or a few) to put onto this car and my other 968 which is also cracked. Anyone know who makes the aluminum replacements?
Rennbay made an aluminum one for years. The company that he had make the molds etc... went under and disappeared with his molds and he no longer has any. Porsche now makes their replacements in aluminum and not magnesium and they are available new front or rear.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:02 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Originally Posted by jsheiry
What a shame for that recessed hood badge hood. Did it jump up and out of the way of damage ? Look closely where engine mount bosses bolt to block and hope nothing is cracked at block. Thats a fairly hard shift of the frame rails.
The hood has some minor damage to it. The latch bent and when it bent, unlatched, so it got out of the way of the rest of the front end as it got pushed over. The most damage to the hood though is the underside frame of the hood which is not longer bonded to the top. It has a slight dent where the strut tower bumped it and it's crinkled at the DS hinge. Not going to get rid of it as someone talented could easily fix it.

Originally Posted by jsheiry
Rennbay made an aluminum one for years. The company that he had make the molds etc... went under and disappeared with his molds and he no longer has any. Porsche now makes their replacements in aluminum and not magnesium and they are available new front or rear.
I thought someone had them remade at some point but that was before I had any 968's so didn't keep an eye out for them. If Porsche makes them in aluminum now then I'll keep an eye out for a discount weekend and grab a couple sets. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-26-2022, 02:14 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Yikes. That cab has a "someone ran a red light" look about it - I wonder if it was the cab or the other guy?

Yogii - mine's in reasonable shape from what I recall, let me dig it out of the basement and send you some pics.
From what I was told is he hit a jersey barrier. The fender is worn through the metal like it scraped along concrete for awhile but I can't figure out at what angle he had to hit it to get that damage. Or how fast he was going. But there is no paint transfer of another car anywhere.

Quick Reply: Merging two cars into one