968 Forum 1992-1995

brake caliper reconditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 10:34 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake caliper reconditioning?

Isn't there a firm which provides refinished calipers for a core charge against your old ones? If anyone knows the URL it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:11 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John, there was a guy who reconditioned them including powder coating, but I believe he is out of the business now.

When I was rebuilding mine, I noticed that http://www.carquest.com/ offers rebuilt calipers for about $350 + core each.

Although you can get the parts to rebuild all four for about $200 from Paragon or $300 from Sunset. I called some local powder coaters and found that the cost of powder coating would be around $50 a caliper. Labor is by far the most expensive part of this, I spent about an hour per piston (16 hours) rebuilding the calipers. Hopefully yours are in better shape and will not take as long.

I have really enjoyed the braking since the rebuild. I bought four new rotors, four new sets of pads, new front wheel bearings, stainless steel brake lines, new fluid, a motive power bleeder and rebuilt the calipers for less than it would have cost to have bought rebuilt calipers.

If you do want to pay someone to rebuild yours and the powder coating is what you are after, Eric Sandoval is rumored to be doing a few of them. But I recieved no reply when I emailed him to ask about having mine done.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:20 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Bruce. Lots of helpful info there!
Old 04-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Moook
Racer

Hey Bruce
When you rebuilt your callipers , i presume you got new pistons + seals????
What sort of price did you get on them???
Also are the seals available without the pistons?? I dont need the pistons , just the seals.
Ive got some 928S4/030 callipers that im going to powder coat RED, so i was going to replace the seals at the same time.

Is it possible to remove the seals without damaging them?
So i can put them back in once powder coated ?

OR

Is that not recomended????

Ive read the post on PCA about rebuilding ... V-helpfull...

Any advice will be helpfull.
Ta
Dave W.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:42 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Dave,

PCNA (dealers) only sell kits including pistons. From Sunset it will cost you over $300 to get them all. You need 4 each of 40mm, 36mm, 30mm and 28mm. They sold me two of each in January and I got the last of some of the sizes that were in the US. PCNA may be restocked by now. But if you need any pistons I have at least one factory kit left over in each size.

When I found out I had half a set and my calipers apart and PCNA was sold out and would be for months I looked for other options. I contacted Brembo directly, but Porsche prohibits Brembo from selling parts for Porsche calipers. Brembo told me that their standard seals would not fit Porsche calipers.

Further research revealed that Paragon http://www.paragon-products.com sells the seals and dust covers individually. They can also get pistons if needed. It cost a little less than $200 for a complete set. You might order an extra of each size of dust covers, I damaged one when testing the calipers after assembly.

I think you probably could reuse the old seals mine were not damaged when I removed them. Although I did destroy most of the dust covers when removing them. The seals are cheap compared to your safety. I would replace them even if you can reuse them.

The S4 Calipers may use larger seals. Call Paragon and they will tell you what you need.

I know you have already seen it but for future reference this site shows how to do it http://vista.pca.org/sch/tech_articl...er_rebuild.htm . Thank you Jon Schepps for the great tutorial!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:09 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BruceWard
but Porsche prohibits Brembo from selling parts for Porsche calipers.
Is that legal ?
Old 04-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure, it's called licensing.

Sam
Old 04-24-2004, 04:38 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

John, you were thinking of prospeedmotorsports. The guy did a nice job, but he took forever and a day on turnaround, and plenty of people here had less than satisfactory dealings with him.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:19 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

I had forgotten the website, but thats it http://www.prospeedmotorsport.com/ . He (Michael Wachholz) used to have the address of the powder coater he used posted on the site. You might call him and ask about the powder coater if you want to have yours powder coated.

Quick Reply: brake caliper reconditioning?