968 Forum 1992-1995

Uprating Tip Cab suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:57 AM
William Green
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uprating Tip Cab suspension

I know this question has been asked many times before and I have read loads of threads about what to do, from bone rattling stiffness to a slightly harder ride.

My question is what should I do if I am looking to possibly track the car 2/3 times a year but still have it as a fun car to drive on our appalling roads in the UK.

The thing to bear in mind is that this is for a cab and not a cooo- pay as Damian put it
The one thing I have done to date is fit a KLA strut brace and after seeing how that changed the handling have been bitten by the bug. I have been trying to keep it under control but feel that I have now lost the battle

William
Old 03-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

William, you know from my signature what I've done-here's what I would do, in order, if I owned your car:

1) Club Sport steering wheel-on the track, you'll have a much better feel of what the car is doing-this has done wonders for me just driving around town.
2)MO30 sway bars-the cars corners flatter, and this mod doesn't seem to add anything in scuttle shake or harshness.
3)H&R sport springs-they'll lower the front about an inch, give you normal riding around town, but as they are progressive they'll stiffen up under harder pushing. Have your shop lower the rear during alignment using the eccentric bolt, paragon-products has a how to on their site.

I don't know the state of your struts and shocks, this may be a concern if the miles are high-the earlier mods are relatively inexpensive-if you start thinking about coilovers or even sport struts then you're putting a lot of money into a tip that you may not get back-with the steering wheel and sways you can always swap them out if you ever sell.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:50 AM
William Green
Instructor

Damian,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I am lucky that my car came with the CS steering wheel as standard and you are right that it does give much better feel, and looks better as well!

Are Paragon as good as any for price etc?

Sorry to have missed you when you were over but it looked like you had a great time.

Regards,

William
Old 03-05-2004, 11:13 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

William I find that Sunset Porsche sometimes has lower prices but Paragon has better service, can advice us on installation and either actually has the item in stock or can get it weeks faster than Sunset.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear Will
The slippery slope of modifying/uprating.

Dave.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fact i can feel a group buy coming on for some of the H+R springs?

Do you fancy some?

Dave.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:28 PM
William Green
Instructor

I know, not telling the wife though

William
Old 03-18-2004, 10:44 PM
William Green
Instructor

Still searching for the elusive compromise of good road behaviour as well as useful for the odd track day. The leaning is more towards the road setup.

Following a lot of discussions have decided that the shocks are coming to the end of their useful life. So before looking at fitting uprated sway bars and lowering springs, would fitting coil over shocks to the rear with 400lbs springs be too extreme or would I still be left with a good ride?

William
Old 03-22-2004, 07:21 AM
ugo968cab
Intermediate

Going from zero coilover and worn shocks to 400lbs and new shocks, seems to me a bit extreme switch, particularly on a cabrio 968 !

I personally substituted, more than a year ago, my rear worn shocks with Koni Yellow, and very satisfied of the result. The front Koni Yellow influence more the ride quality, and in my opinion is the maximum tolerable in a cabrio mainly used for the road.

Now I am contemplating a rear sway bar (perhaps) M030 + KLA droplinks, because in hard turns the car transfer too much load from side to side on rear. I do not plan any stiffening in front, cause it is already stiff for the crappy road in my area. If H&R spring were available in normal height, they would be an option, but i do not want to lower the car.

If you opt for rear coilovers, i would not go beyond 100 to 200 lbs. The other option is tio wait for the complete 9m racing package, eve if I suppose more oreinted to coupè than cabrio.

Ugo

Quick Reply: Uprating Tip Cab suspension