968 Forum 1992-1995

Stereo question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Stereo question..

For those of you that own a 968 with the 490 and 494 hifi stereo option, maybe you can help me out here.. My car has the same two options and I am trying to find out what sort of adapter cables I will need in order to connect the original DIN wiring harness to a newer head unit that uses ISO plugs without butchering anything. My stock harness looks like this:

As I understand it, the round plug is the amplifier plug, the white plug is various power + ground and then there's the 4 colored plugs, red, white, yellow and black for the speakers.!? Each of the colored plugs consist of a male and female plug (they are plugged together in the pic just for testing) Those speaker plugs confuses me a bit (admitted it doesn't take much) in that it seems logical that they should be plugged into each other color matched, but how do they get any input then.?

My car is a cab and just purchased without any head unit, so I can't tell how it was originally plugged, hence my questions.. I hope it makes sense and someone might be able to help out.. Oh, and I know the antenna plug/cable is butchered and will need a new antenna plug..

Best regards - Alex
Old 03-09-2020, 01:04 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

The speaker leads return from the under seat amplifiers. I can check which is the speaker end (male or female) tonight but in general, the speakers have the male end.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

The speakers have the male terminals, you are correct.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Motosport
Racer

Thanks guys.. But if the colored male plugs go into the head unit, what does the female colored plug go into then.?
Old 03-09-2020, 06:21 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
Thanks guys.. But if the colored male plugs go into the head unit, what does the female colored plug go into then.?
You would ignore those, as you would not be using the external amplifier in that situation. There are adapter kits to mate aftermarket stereos into factory wiring harnesses available so that you don't have to butcher up the factory harness.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:45 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

from the 92 wiring diagram.

white=left front
black=right front
yellow=left rear
red=left rear

logically, if the amp had male leads, an unplugged lead could let the smoke out.

the DIN plug in your picture splits the front and rear output to the separate amps. there is a blaupunkt adapter that goes from the 8-pin DIN to rca. if youy are going to retain the underseat amps.

edit....I see nothing in the metra catalog but reaching out to Stephan at SW or Torre at bergvillFX might be worth it. it looks like a antenna booster wire is loose in the console if one is not in the 6 pin radio plug

Last edited by thomasmryan; 03-09-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:29 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
from the 92 wiring diagram.

white=left front
black=right front
yellow=left rear
red=left rear

logically, if the amp had male leads, an unplugged lead could let the smoke out.

the DIN plug in your picture splits the front and rear output to the separate amps. there is a blaupunkt adapter that goes from the 8-pin DIN to rca. if youy are going to retain the underseat amps.

edit....I see nothing in the metra catalog but reaching out to Stephan at SW or Torre at bergvillFX might be worth it. it looks like a antenna booster wire is loose in the console if one is not in the 6 pin radio plug
Not certain, but it looks like a Metra 70-1822 would work.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

nice. I have lost my google-foo.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:23 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
nice. I have lost my google-foo.
I don't think so. That isn't listed on Metra's web site, but does show up in Crutchfield.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:57 PM
dimeadip
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed last night that suncoast sells a bunch of different stereo adapters for the 944/968.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:28 PM
dimeadip
Advanced

Hey Motosport, did you get your stereo all figured out? I'm in a similar position looking for stereo adapters for my '92 Couple. I'm wondering if you got it solved.
The following users liked this post:
Yogii (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:33 AM
Motosport
Racer

Originally Posted by dimeadip
Hey Motosport, did you get your stereo all figured out? I'm in a similar position looking for stereo adapters for my '92 Couple. I'm wondering if you got it solved.
Yes, I sure did.. And it was pretty straight forward once I got the right adapter harnesses. I used these two from Bergwill FX:

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...rsche-964.html

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...-radio-v2.html

One is the power harness and the other one is the speaker harness. If your car has the Hi-Fi option and you want to retain the original external amplifier, then you need this adapter instead of the power harness above:

https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...8-pin-din.html

Installation is very easy and straight forward. And I am very happy with the Continental head unit.. Very quick and reliable phone connection, easy to use and looks period correct..

Alex
Old 06-30-2020, 02:27 PM
dimeadip
Advanced

Thanks. I guess I’m missing something. I have the under seat amp, but I don’t plan to use it. I’ll just abandon it in place. I planned to use the head unit to power the speakers. To do the connections, I planned to take the 8 speaker wires out of the new head unit to the existing speaker wires. But all my speaker wires come to the “ball” shaped adapter where they plug into the speaker wires coming from the old CR-1. Where can I find these “ball” shaped adapters? They have two female slots where they plug into the car wires. I’ve never seen adapters like this. I’d need four adapters to go to all four speakers. (The tweeter daisy chains from the front door speaker). Am I just missing something???
Old 06-30-2020, 06:49 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I guess I’m missing something. I have the under seat amp, but I don’t plan to use it. I’ll just abandon it in place. I planned to use the head unit to power the speakers. To do the connections, I planned to take the 8 speaker wires out of the new head unit to the existing speaker wires. But all my speaker wires come to the “ball” shaped adapter where they plug into the speaker wires coming from the old CR-1. Where can I find these “ball” shaped adapters? They have two female slots where they plug into the car wires. I’ve never seen adapters like this. I’d need four adapters to go to all four speakers. (The tweeter daisy chains from the front door speaker). Am I just missing something???
If they are anything like what I did on my 944 years ago, they are 2 pin DIN adapters, like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-01-2020, 05:55 AM
Motosport
Racer

If I understand you correctly you are in the same situation as me. I also opted to not run the old amps, but let the Continental HU power the speakers. The original speaker wires looks like this, the 4 different colored ones:

The male plug of these speaker cables will plug straight into the speaker adapter harness I linked to in my previous post, and you will have power to all 8 speakers. Then you just need to power adapter harness and you are ready to go..

Alex

Quick Reply: Stereo question..