Long term storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 02:35 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Long term storage

6 months, maybe a year.
Going to help a buddy fix up a hurricane damaged house in paradise.

I have about 9,000 miles since last oil change. Should change that just before leaving.
Should I change coolant and clutch and brake lines too?

Disconnect the battery or trickle charger? If trickle-what kind? Do not want to fry DME or DME relay.

Nitrogen air in tires or 50 lbs air? Do not want flat spots.

Washed and covered in a dark garage.

Anything else?

Thanks,

Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Last edited by Yogii; 10-04-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

run marine fuel stabilizer up to the injectors. drain the remaining fuel

remove the battery.

jack stands.

crack the doors, boot and bonnet.

dryer sheets in the tail pipe, intake snorkel and cowl.

fresh oil and it wouldn't hurt to use fogging oil for the rings. brake fluid, trans and coolant isn't a bad idea

slacken or remove the belts...they 'flat spot' the same as tires.

paint the cam with assembly lube for the re-fire.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Yogii-

I would put a battery tender on it and make sure you get some fuel stabilizer (like sta-bil), add it to the tank, fill it up, drive it 5 five or so miles to get it through the fuel system and cover it in your garage, you'd be good to go.

There is no reason to change the oil unless you wanted to put something that had anti-corrosion products in it, I personally would not be worried about it. The oil just sits there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...r-storage.html
Old 10-04-2019, 02:28 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 124 Posts

I can't run a tender in my storage spot so I just disconnect it and it is fine when I reconnect. Just have to put the radio code in.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
Spokayman (10-06-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Thomasmryan- Great ideas, just to much work. My garage is so narrow that there is no space to jackup the car for jack stands. As it is, I need to park much closer to one wall so I can open the driver's door and slip my not svelte body inside.

Paul and Jeff- Thanks for the comments.

Stabil is a great idea, why didn't i think of it???

I need recommendations for a trickle charger. Disconnecting the battery should work for 6 months, not sure it would work for a year.
Car will be freshly washed, antenna removed and covered with a top notch outdoor cover(even though the car will be inside).

Thanks again,

Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 10-06-2019, 01:28 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would be reluctant to keep a trickle charger on a battery for 6+ months unless I had the ability to periodically check the battery for overcharging, leaks, drying out, etc.

I agree with Jeff about simply disconnecting the battery.
You could charge it up when you get back, and it might be easier to do that if you remove the battery from the car when you store it.

I will be storing my 968 over the coming winter and I plan to just disconnect the battery.
If I have to I’ll remove the battery and recharge it, but hopefully it will hold enough charge that it will restart the car when I exercise it every 2-3 months.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:34 AM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Great point! Just disconnect the battery, leave it in place. When it comes time to start her up, charge the battery before reconnecting it.
Do not really want remove the battery unless it will not hold a charge. Heavy and a pain to refasten.
So I guess I need recommendations for a battery charger?

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice

Last edited by Yogii; 10-06-2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:26 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

pre mix the stabilizer in a gallon jug. I would use the marine version as the pink can be worse than varnished fuel. real fuel looses about one octane point per month. the corn stuff is okay for cars without rubber in the fuel system.... the flex fuel thing

lead acid batteries start gassing off when they drop around 12.3 volts...that sulfur/egg tray eating smell. if you have a locked IP, using a smart outlet with a 2/8 amp charger once a month would be my choice.

the wheel dollies they have at harbor freight might help the tires keep their shape. plus, you can shove the car up against the wall after you get out.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a few cars and boats that I often improperly longterm store and it really does not cause any issues. I alway disconnect the batteries (I think I'm in the range of 13 batteries that I have to maintain). I have used trickle chargers when disconnected and that fried one of my batteries recently. I plan to try one of those solar trickle chargers if I ever get another trickle charger. Weird enough I do not like to use car covers on good paint. I feel the wiggling and minor scratching of the paint is worse than the benefits. I do like boat covers since gel coat is much thicker. Sometimes I use fuel stabilizer, usually not. For sure I have ran into multiple issues where new fuel has made a big difference. I think getting tires off the ground would help more with slowing dry rotting that I'd worry about permanent flat spotting. My best battery charger ever has been a Sears Craftsman model.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Yogii
Rennlist Member

Eyeman-Good point about the car cover. My garage is dusty. Maybe a light weight indoor cotton cover or nothing.

-Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
Old 10-06-2019, 03:09 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogii
6 months, maybe a year.
Going to help a buddy fix up a hurricane damaged house in paradise.

I have about 9,000 miles since last oil change. Should change that just before leaving.
Should I change coolant and clutch and brake lines too?

Disconnect the battery or trickle charger? If trickle-what kind? Do not want to fry DME or DME relay.

Nitrogen air in tires or 50 lbs air? Do not want flat spots.

Washed and covered in a dark garage.

Anything else?

Thanks,

Yogii
AKA 968 Novice
As a Swede we are used to storing our cars for 6months during the winter.
I have always done just this. Extra air in tyres, disconnected battery. Full tank of gas. Never had any issues like that for 25 years and multiple cars.

Good luck with the house👍

Quick Reply: Long term storage