Auto - Manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 AM
oz968
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Auto - Manual conversion

Gents
If I had access to a complete manual conversion from a 1984 944 with the 5 speed box to include any and all associated parts to complete the conversion would it fit or is it a no goer.
Alternatively he has the 6 speed box from a CS manual but doesn't have all the bits to do the conversion...can I mix n match to include the 6 speed conversion.

I just cannot come to grips with the 4 spd auto...its a slug and even driving it in manual mode its not real good

Peter
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a number of the 6 spd conversion parts. Trans crossmember & mount, shift rod, shifter.

I would also expect John Graves from Just Joshin Porsche Parts to have nearly everything you may need as he has recently parted a 968 or two.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 PM
oz968
Racer

Originally Posted by jsheiry
I have a number of the 6 spd conversion parts. Trans crossmember & mount, shift rod, shifter.

I would also expect John Graves from Just Joshin Porsche Parts to have nearly everything you may need as he has recently parted a 968 or two.
That makes get a lil excited but when you shop from a number of sources you don't get the benefit of a bundle deal and he wants $6500 for about half the parts and doesn't have a RHD pedal box.
I feel its going to be $10k worth of parts etc...and it makes no sense to pay that sort of coin.
Love the car but better off selling it and starting again.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Do a search here in this section. There are a couple of posts that relate to this topic. PorscheG96 has done the conversion and can offer first hand experience.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...rsion-kit.html

The most recent old thread on this topic.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:32 PM
oz968
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Do a search here in this section. There are a couple of posts that relate to this topic. PorscheG96 has done the conversion and can offer first hand experience.

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...rsion-kit.html

The most recent old thread on this topic.
Thank you I will look it up
Old 02-20-2019, 09:34 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

A friend has a tiptronic that he keeps wanting to convert to manual. I've run through it several times with him. If you want to go with a 5-speed, then yes, 944 parts will do the trick and they will all fit into the 968. You just need to make sure of a few details, for example
- you must have a 60-2 flywheel, meaning 944 S or S2, or 968
- 944 NA gearboxes often break from the strain of 148hp (they were meant for a 100hp Audi), so I'd highly recommend an S2 (expensive, but geared well) or turbo (cheaper, but sub-optimal gearing) gearbox.
- the axles must come from 1987 or later
- etc

Also bear in mind that not only will it "not be 6-speed" but other ancillary parts in a true 6-speed 968 are different (in form but not function) than 944 parts, like the clutch and brake pedals (steel on early 944s, FRP on late 944s and 968s), etc.

I won't tell you what's the right way to go (because I don't know) but I for one believe that a 5-speed is still better than a tiptronic. You could use all 968 parts except for a 5-speed gearbox to save money, and leave the door open to a future upgrade to 6-speed (and thus a full conversion). But, if I were to do it, I'd use 100% 944 parts, because without the tiptronic the car will never again be "original" so might as well save money and put that money into other fun car improvements like suspension, and really enjoy the car. It all comes down to what you want out of the car.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:57 AM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the cost and effort involved, it would be so much better to just sell it and buy a manual. You would have an unadulterated car as well.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:31 PM
jsheiry
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 138 Posts

Its interesting that for the amount of cars sent to N America vs what was built and sold in Europe/Not N America that the level of parts availability IE Ebay and other dis-mantlers in Europe that it would seem these parts would be readily available. I just never see the level of parts on Ebay European sites that I see here in N America. Where does everything go over there as there is the potential of twice the cars 8,000 or so not sent to N America whereas in N America there is a glut of parts available for few cars....

In my first response above I had no idea you needed RHD stuff. Suppose the bell housing is different as well with most other stuff conforming to 1 part number. Very surprised of the need to shop across the pond vs finding twice the amount of parts contiguously in Europe.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:41 PM
Madridcab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan@usaimage.com
For the cost and effort involved, it would be so much better to just sell it and buy a manual. You would have an unadulterated car as well.
+1
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Need the 944 transmission mount and shift linkage as well.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve done this exact conversion to a 968 cabriolet about 6 years ago. These are the parts I used all from a 1989 S2 that I was able to pull every part I needed from. That being said it’s a lot of work and easy to get some parts wrong along the way and have to wait for next part to try and sort it out the next week etc... so just keep this in mind when doing the conversion. Prob around 20 hrs removing all the triptonic transaxle bits,torque tube, bellhousing & flywheel and rear suspension, oil cool lines, cooler, triptonic computer & wiring harness, shift mechanism, brake pedal, guts and pedal rod! Then roughly 25-30 hrs installing everything!

You do do get to reuse your starter and in theory your torque tube as well but I chose to use the S2 unit as I knew it would work. Then you start the install of 944 16 valve S or S2 flywheel, clutch assembly and bellhousing bits, then torque tube, shift rod mechanism, S or S2 transaxle, axles and finally the entire brake pedal and clutch pedal mechanism with pivot rod, clips, springs, clutch master, slave and pressure hose. Then you must cut your master cylinder reservoir nipple and add the fill(feed lime) hose to the clutch master cylinder on firewall!

There’s always something you will miss and I’m sure I’ve missed something but that’s the bulk of it Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:08 AM
oz968
Racer

Originally Posted by boost feen
I’ve done this exact conversion to a 968 cabriolet about 6 years ago. These are the parts I used all from a 1989 S2 that I was able to pull every part I needed from. That being said it’s a lot of work and easy to get some parts wrong along the way and have to wait for next part to try and sort it out the next week etc... so just keep this in mind when doing the conversion. Prob around 20 hrs removing all the triptonic transaxle bits,torque tube, bellhousing & flywheel and rear suspension, oil cool lines, cooler, triptonic computer & wiring harness, shift mechanism, brake pedal, guts and pedal rod! Then roughly 25-30 hrs installing everything!

You do do get to reuse your starter and in theory your torque tube as well but I chose to use the S2 unit as I knew it would work. Then you start the install of 944 16 valve S or S2 flywheel, clutch assembly and bellhousing bits, then torque tube, shift rod mechanism, S or S2 transaxle, axles and finally the entire brake pedal and clutch pedal mechanism with pivot rod, clips, springs, clutch master, slave and pressure hose. Then you must cut your master cylinder reservoir nipple and add the fill(feed lime) hose to the clutch master cylinder on firewall!

There’s always something you will miss and I’m sure I’ve missed something but that’s the bulk of it Good Luck!
Great post and many thanx for the heads up.
The hours are about what I thought it would be ...time wise.
Its a big decision I must admit and made harder with the parts costs.
Peter
Old 02-21-2019, 01:31 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

You get get really tricky with your time if you have it and buy a $3k S2 16 valve car and swap all the manual
parts into 968 then swap all triptonic parts into 944 and make a trip 944 with paddle shifters on steering wheel and sell the ultra rare limited edition 1of 1 S2 944 for big bucks $$$......if you had time to burn of course
Old 02-21-2019, 06:21 AM
oz968
Racer

Originally Posted by boost feen
You get get really tricky with your time if you have it and buy a $3k S2 16 valve car and swap all the manual
parts into 968 then swap all triptonic parts into 944 and make a trip 944 with paddle shifters on steering wheel and sell the ultra rare limited edition 1of 1 S2 944 for big bucks $$$......if you had time to burn of course
I like your plan

Quick Reply: Auto - Manual conversion