Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Anyone here own a 968CS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the CS wheel, I'll let all the NJ guys know what happens when I get the car inspected in a year or so-since I had to pull a wire to make the airbag light go off I wonder if the plug in analyser will show a fault . . . on NJ cars if they catch you without a cat they fine you $1000 per year since your last legal inspection-ouch!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:57 PM
jp951
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FL

Thats the nice thing about florida.... there is no emission inspection!! All you show when you register is the insurance and thats it. Of course its illegal for shops to take emission stuff off, but if they don't get caught then its all cool. When I had my cats taken off all the shop owner said was "don't tell anyone I took them off" and we were cool...oh, and he took the airbag steering wheel off to...

I actually don't recall wether the airbag light went off though when I took the steering wheel off...

manuel scettri
Old 02-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manuel- your mechanic probably removed the bulb OR clipped a wire to prevent the bulb from lighting... As for putting the air bags in to remove AFTER being registered- I'm wondering how closely they check anyway- you MIGHT be able to just throw an air bag wheel on & not wire it up anywhere, etc & slip by- as for the dash- not sure about that- you COULD replace it w/an air bag type dash & hope there too, but that would be a bit of work- in all honesty though, I like the way the air bag dash looks better then the non AB dash- that little divider line for where the AB comes out kind of adds to it- I don't know why- maybe the non-AB dashes look a little plain to me- anyway, I HATE the AB's themselves though- I hate side cutain ones, etc too- just a bunch of extra weight & technological BS to have to pay for & service to KEEP working , etc- more hassle- they've got so many types of AB's out there now- I don't think it will be long before they have right & left ******** air bags.... It just get's old after awhile...
Old 02-12-2004, 04:48 AM
jp951
Advanced

Talking haha!

left and right ******** airbags haha! laughed for a bit on that one...man that would hurt! I have a friend who crashed with airbags and burnt half his face, and he was wearing a seatbelt. I often wonder what would happen to those women that sit really really close to the steering wheel...

Try telling the DOT that race cars don't have airbags. Like I said, they're just there for the idiots that don't wear seat belts.

I'm thinking they check quite closely. The people that install them are responsible for them working and the us being so sue happy as it is I'm sure they wouldn't let it go by. I know of a business up in NY that went out of business cause they didn't inspect a guys handbrake and in the winter it froze and the guy had to use it and of course it didn't work and sued.

manuel scettri
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Robby, not sure if I want left and right ******** airbags. They come out with a lot of force and I can't think of a more sensitive spot to hit a guy on, lol.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, I used that line a few months back when arguing about the ridiculousness of AB's & how EVERY car maker is out to add them ALL over the damn car & I said "Before you know it, they'll have right & left...." The person I said it too didn't find it as amusing, although most of the people who were starting to listen in on the argument DID... I just think it starts to get silly when you have those damn things coming out like shotgun shells from EVERY panel in the CAR! I mean hell- I know of people who have tapped curbs & had the bags come out- you could tap a curb & have a dozen AB's POP out & turn the car back into traffic (b/c you're not able to SEE) & CAUSE an accident that otherwise might not have happened... THEN, another guy goes HEAD-ON & the things don't even deploy....

ONe of the ones I most remember is a guy who wrote in to EC a long time ago- he had been driving a VW w/AB's & would rest his hand on the cross post of the steering wheel- he went over a curb & the bag came out w/enough force to break his wrist- he was about to go in for his THIRD reconstructive surgery for it- he already had pins in the wrist & back of hands b/c of it & it still wasn't right....

Did someone here say something about 4-pt harnesses not being legal on street cars? If so, WHY??? I know I've seen them in street cars before, but, that doesn't mean it was legal- I just couldn't imagine it NOT being...
Old 02-18-2004, 09:19 PM
moreboost

thia may sound like its more than its worth, but it you should look into the kitcar laws in the states. see what regulations they have to follow, ill bet theyre pretty loose. if they are, take the car apart and ship all of the parts in a container. put it back together when you get here, and register it as a kit car. of course this is A TON of work, and if you dont have your own garage its not worth it at all. also, not long ago, there was a story in excellence about a guy who had the last 968 imported, as well as a blue cs. you might want to check into what he did to get it over here.

take care,
brian
Old 02-18-2004, 10:32 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default yeah...

thanks brian! I did see the story in excellence but like you said its more trouble than its worth. I mean, it would be nice to say I have an original cs but in the end what I really want is a fast 968 to keep for a really long time. so the "market" value is really not important to me. And a cs is a 968 WITHOUT a few parts, so its always easier to take stuff off. I'll just sell this one when I leave here and get another 968 in the us.

manuel scettri
Old 02-19-2004, 01:33 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

JP- you're probably right- I've always wondered about the missing stuff, like electrical stuff- you have no electric mirrors for instance- well, is there wiring in the car for it, so that IF you WANTED to ADD electric mirrors, you could simply buy a set & plug them right up? I mean, did they eliminate hte unneccessary stuff from the wiring harness?

I'm trying to find the right way to replace the seat bottom in my car & have a similar rear seat like the 968 CS- actually, more like the 911CS, but, I don't want to use the thick wood- I want to save some weight while doing it, as that's most of the point- maybe you could look into buying some of the parts like that in Europe, so you could do it to a stateside car when you get here(?)- I say this b/c the factory anchors for that rear seat deck assembly might make it easier no matter what you fabricate- I would kind of like to buy some of those pieces if I could find them & then just use a lighter, thinner, piece of wood- not sure yet though- still looking at close-up pics...
Old 02-25-2004, 03:00 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default uuuhhh

I'm brain dead! who was it that wante pictures of the CS wind up window door panels???

manuel scettri
Old 02-25-2004, 08:39 PM
panzer grey
Instructor

Default 'Amazon"?

What is an "Amazon 968" ?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:44 PM
jp951
Advanced

Default um...

I'm guessing "amazon" is green?? just a thought...

manuel scettri
Old 02-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would assume amazon green too- of course, for those who don't know, it's really almost a blue, but...

If anyone else out there wanted a pic of the CS door panel, Manuel e-mailed it to me, so I can send it out if anyone wants...

thanks Manuel
Old 02-26-2004, 06:28 PM
mike_hammond
Instructor

Alternatively Rob you could attach the picture to your post using the attach file box at the bottom of the reply screen and we can all see it

PS I have a CS if anyone wants to ask me anything, but I think you've covered most of it.

Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 06:55 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay- I'm trying to post it- it's too big- can I shrink it somehow w/out it being a PITA?

Quick Reply: Anyone here own a 968CS?